191.8: 1st Surgiversary

199.2: 2nd Surgiversary

201.2: Last Weigh in

200.0: CW

Food: C-

Water: A

Vitamins: B

Exercise: C

A little better week, but its hard coming down from the food orgy that is Thanksgiving, especially when its a combined Thanksgiving/Christmas celebration. Anyway, I did better and dropped a little. I have a way to go. Stupid head cold is hindering me a little bit. You'd think the calorie burn producing snot would add up to more. It doesn't

No Michigan football, but what a great game for the Big 10 Championship. Congratulations to Penn State. Now the CFB committee has a hard decision to make about Penn State vs Ohio State or someone else. 

Have a great week all. 

Jammur
on 12/4/16 5:58 am
VSG on 10/12/16

Last Week: 279

This Week: 275

I had ups and downs this week. I saw my doctor and my bloodwork was pretty good. Total Cholesterol was actually low (115) but my doctor does not want to change my medication yet. Then I saw the surgeon for a follow-up. He asked me how I was doing and if I was happy with the weight loss so far. I told him I was happy but I thought I could do better. He said come back in 6 weeks and I want to see you down another 30lbs by then. I thought that was a bit optimistic (5lbs a week) but the more I thought of it, the more I think I can do it, or at least get close.

Lost 4 this week, and that was with one really bad day. I hit that day when I ate too much and I felt like I was going to die, but I did not vomit, although I tried to. Man, I do NOT want to experience that again. Since that night (Thursday) I have eaten much smaller meals and I am still feeling satisfied. I guess maybe I was just eating too much? Anyway, I increased my water intake. My wife bought some decaffeinated ice tea and I have been drinking that. I seems to be working.

The surgeon also asked if I was exercising yet, and I told him whenever I exert myself, my stomach kills me and I thought it was due to the gall stones (gall bladder is filled with them). He said he never heard of exercise giving you a gall bladder attack. I started wondering if it was something else, but then I looked online and I did see it is possible. Anyway, I know I need to start some sort of exercise, so I started walking around the office a bit, and yesterday I actually got on the recumbent bike for a bit. It was only for a minute or so, but its a start. I will do some more today watching NFL Redzone.

I feel like I am in a good place right now. I am not stressed, not worried, and I am very confidant that this entire process is working as intended. My wife told me this morning that my new eating habits made her life easier too, as she can cook what she likes (lots of veggies which I never liked) and she did not have to clean up the kitchen nearly as often as before, so life is good.

Don 1962
on 12/4/16 7:58 am

Patience Grasshopper.  You are on marathon not a sprint!  Good for wife's life getting easier too.

Ohiodietguy
on 12/4/16 5:04 pm

Jammur - Congratulations on you weight loss journey - keep up the good work! Everyone has a different story and different experiences. If you 2 months post op I am surprised that you continue with stomach pain?  You may want to follow up again with your program even though you just saw the surgeon and explain that you continue with pain in your stomach when exercising?  I had my surgery in October 2015 so I am about 13-14 mos post op. A lot of things change after the first year.  I think I started walking in Feb or March after my surgery, I am remember the weather being very cold and sometimes not many people in the park because of the cold temps.  My only suggestion just based on my own experience is to get out and walk as much as possible.  If you do not have a Fitbit get one and start working on 10,000 steps per day.  The more walking that you can do the more weight you are going to lose. I have read many articles online and have heard from many sources, doctors, other weight loss patients how important Exercise really is for maintenance. I listen to Reeger Cortells Weight Loss surgery podcast and she interviews weight loss surgery patients and weight loss surgeons. When you listen to the stories of the patients who are 5-10 years post op many or most of them focus on the importance of exercise for weight loss maintenance. Find something that you enjoy and try to exercise 5-7 hours per week even if it is only walking around the inside of your house. I know that at 337 I started walking inside my house (yes very boring) but I was moving and getting steps. My weight fluctuates but I am normally in the 175 to 180 range.  The past November I completed a Marathon. When I had my surgery I had experienced chronic back pain for 4 plus years and never thought I would be able to walk for exercise again. I am only hoping to help you here, but try to exercise every day if possible.  Good luck have a great week!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Don 1962
on 12/4/16 7:53 am

Last week - 180.4
This week - 180.2

Seen similar meme regarding cows turning grass into hamburger and steak!

Alabama thumped Florida for SEC Championship.  No surprise there.  Cowboys had a squeaker in Minnesota Thursday night but are 11-1.  Next stop for them is next Sunday evening in the Meadowlands against the Giants. 

NSV of the week, to plagiarize Bill's expression, spent time yesterday in the storeroom unpacking GF's shelving, putting it together and using it to organize the chaos that was happening there.  She was doing the same on the inside going through boxes that had not been gotten to yet.  Deciding what to keep, what to trash and what can go to Goodwill.  Lots of work to be able to get her dining table set up and bring in the Christmas tree.  Needs to get done so it won't have to wait till the end of next tax season.  Provided she works this tax season.

Christmas shopping on tap for today.  Nerts.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

billmacc7
on 12/4/16 8:17 am - MA

High-346

Low-196

Last Week-216

Today-218

Small uptick in scale :( Number is scary as I seem to be scaling up. No excuses but Holiday season is a ***** as I swear there is food everywhere! Gonna keep fighting the good fight 

Patriots Lost Gronk for season chances of ring #5 not looking good! 

Food-D

Water-D

Vitamins-A

Exercise-B

NSV of the Week- Decided that my weight is a number not a statement of who I am....

Yours in WLS,

Bill Mac

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Ohiodietguy
on 12/4/16 4:52 pm

Hello everyone!

High Weight 337

Last week 177.6

Current: 170.6

Hope everyone has had a good week. I am not sure how I lost the weight  this week? The first thing I do every day is weigh and sometimes unfortunately that sets the tone for the whole day. I am not sure how but almost every day this past week I woke up and had lost 1lb.  As you know my weight fluctuates constantly. The only thing different this week is I increased my amount of exercise and now I am eating constantly non-stop eating healthy food.  Honestly I am not sure anymore to whether to be happy about losing 7 lbs? or concerned worried about losing 1lb per day? I continue to run about 8.8 miles every other day or so just 3x this past week. I am swimming in the morning for about 45 minutes and then treadmill 30 minutes and then the stationary bike 30 minutes and then 2 nights this past week I took swim lessons in the evening and 3 nights I ran 8.8 miles. Snow headed our way with a big temperature drop will probably deter my running and exercising outdoors . I am eating protein bars, protein shakes, crabcakes, grapes, oranges,  and lots of chicken salad. Just reading that article on the front page " 10 WLS foods to eat for energy" http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/10-wls-friendly-foods-to -eat-for-energy I am going to try to eat more of those foods, great suggestions.

I have not had any energy all day and only went swimming, and then  the bike and treadmill for 30minutes. I did not exercise a 2nd time today. I am still looking for  used road bike in my price range, they seem very expensive. My next big race is mid June in a Sprint Triathlon- 1/2 mile swimming, 12 mile bike ride, 3.2 mile run. My swimming will need to improve greatly or I will be participating in the Dualthlon instead. I really need to add strength training but with past back problems I remain hesitant. I am trying to continue to track my food with myfitness pal, but I am not doing a very good job.   I do not have my next follow up with my surgeon until October 2017. I am kind of concerned about going for a whole year without getting my blood checked?  Does anyone else have their primary care physician check their blood for the same lab work the surgeon would order? 

here is an inspiring article about a guy who had weight loss surgery and started at 325 and went on to become and endurance athlete and completed an Olympic triathlon  : http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Overweight-to-Endur ance-Athlete

Have a great week- Keep up the good work!!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

cabin111
on 12/9/16 3:12 pm, edited 12/9/16 8:58 am

Hey Ohioguy, you are doing great.  I preach this all the time...But know the signs of dehydration.  You may face it one of these days.  The easiest (fastest) way to tell is the skin pinch test.  Pinch the skin on your arm.  If it comes back to normal within a second you are good...If not, you are probably dehydrated.  You may want to look up online the signs...Just to have them in the back of your mind.

The next thing (if you are at or near goal) is to look into carb loading.  You have gone beyond weight loss.  You need to look into how other people carb load for their workouts and long training.  You may want to ask on the Exercise and Fitness Forum here on OH.  Or you can go to running/tri sites and see how people carb load.  There may be some who have had gastric bypass...They would be the best ones to ask.  Brian  PS  This one may help...http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd =12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjxndqfoujQAhVqw1QKHYagDRAQFghH MAs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.runnersworld.com%2Fnutrition%2Fthe- right-way-to-carbo-load-before-a-race&usg=AFQjCNFnDOTuYfzH7a emu9LbNh_sHs1Vcw&sig2=T3x7Z9fyUFx7zi0wd6Ta0Q

cabin111
on 12/9/16 4:51 pm

I just rode my bike to Walgreens...It's my away/thinking time.  Was chewing about your post Ohioguy.  Was thinking more and more you might have anemia.  You really need to get your blood checked.  It could also a Vitamin D issue.

Also as a general rule (what I have heard from this website and from surgeons), you should NOT let your BMI drop below 2%.  It is very important to have that reserve in case you get the flu or get sick from some other issues.  You really should see your PCP...Don't know if you need to see your surgeon.  No matter which surgery you had, you need to be on top of your vitamins also.  Come up short with B-1...You could get Beri Beri!!  Anyways, your PCP should know what test to order...Let them know you are tired and do major exercise and you've had surgery.  Brian

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 27 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 27 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 63 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 85 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 95 views