Mechanic (metal) help...

cabin111
on 6/23/17 2:56 pm

So I have a real nice bike (Trek 7.3)...Not cheap. I bought a fair lock, but a meth addict almost got it. I came within 30 seconds of the lock being totally cut with bolt cutters. I had to get a new lock. I went with one of the best bike locks...Yeah, I know they still can get to it, but it will be much harder in public during daylight hours. Below is the lock I got...

It is so thick and wound, I can't get it unwound to wrap around both tires, the frame, and a piece of metal or a tree!! How can I unwrap it (without hurting the plastic) to get it to be more straight?? Should I wrap it (pull it) on two vices for a few days? Should I wrap it the other way (direction) with two vices? Come on guys...Step up here with ideas. Brian OnGuard 8030 Doberman 15mm x 6' Combo Cable Lock

Qajohn
on 6/23/17 3:40 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Good question.

I always thought these cables were designed to keep their set so they are easier to store. I have a similar one (albeit less robust than the picture above) and I use it like a screw around the frame and then I pull a long end around the thing I am locking it too, finally engaging the lock in the rim. Its worked for me.

BTW, I have a Trek FX bike as well.

cabin111
on 6/23/17 4:06 pm

Qa...Think of 40-50 pounds just trying and unwrap it!! Then you have to hold that pressure while you try and wrap it around something!!

Don 1962
on 6/23/17 4:04 pm, edited 6/23/17 9:04 am

Being the quasi good redneck that I am my first thought involved heating it up with a cutting torch but you want to keep that pesky plastic!! Next idea, and I don't know how well it would work, but find any thing you can hang it from. Like an engine hoist, bottom cross piece on a pole barn "A" frame - a sturdy tree limb would work. Open lock, string some weights on it, 50-150 pounds worth, and close it around one of the items above. Let it hang overnight, at least, and see if that straightens it out any. You get the idea.

ETA: If you have a stand up "tractor jack" open the lock up to where it would circle around the bottom of the jack and the upper piece. Put some tension to it using the jack and let it sit awhile. If your lock breaks you know it was a POS to begin with!

cabin111
on 6/23/17 4:38 pm

Done and done!! Started with one brick...May put on another tomorrow...

Qajohn
on 7/2/17 4:39 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

So how'd it work? I'm a little curious. I work in the steel industry as a metallurgist, and my company supplies the steel that these cables are made of. They are designed to "take a set" in a coil form. I'm thinking you can get it to relax a little bit, but I'm doubting you'll be able to get the all the set out of it. Did it relax enough to be able to manhandled easier?

82much
on 6/24/17 1:01 pm
VSG on 11/28/16

I would try putting it in a pot of boiling water for a minute to relax the plastic coating and then hang it with a weight. Or hit it with a hair dryer while it is hanging.

cabin111
on 6/24/17 1:38 pm

It's over 100 degrees in my garage (CA)...Is that good enough??

82much
on 6/25/17 6:29 am
VSG on 11/28/16

100 degrees probably wont affect the plastic. If it still coils, try a hair dryer or a heat gun, being careful to not melt the plastic.

I bought a used Trek in the Spring. Nice bike. I need to get a lock for it also.

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 60 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 83 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 94 views