New to the group.

SCEdDoc
on 2/26/18 1:49 pm
RNY on 10/30/18

I am about 6 months preop for the bypass surgery. Any tips? I am at 340 lbs now, 5'11". on 1900 calorie diet plan more protein than carbs. Going to the gym 5/7 days. for about an hour.

What is the worst thing about after the surgery. What keeps you from going back to work? Why do you have to drink water 15 before your meal and not with your meal? Can you get all your vitamins in one liquid per day.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark

Don 1962
on 2/26/18 3:39 pm

1. Welcome and good luck on your journey! No two journeys are the same. Apples and Oranges.

2. Best advice is in siggy line.

3. Worst part about after surgery? Learning the new "normal" as far as eating, meal size, keeping up with your labs, getting in all your vitamins etc. Follow Doc's plan to a "T" at first then if something is not working or somebody else has a suggestion try and see what happens.

4. Water, or any liquid, will force your food out of your pouch before digestion can begin.

5. Make sure you have a really good plunger by every commode in your home. Low flow toilets will not be your friend!

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

SCEdDoc
on 2/26/18 4:33 pm
RNY on 10/30/18

Thank you! I'm guessing you have lots of diarrhea?

Don 1962
on 2/27/18 3:46 am

Some days there is diarrhea and but what I was referring to was the "output" of BM's in general.

SCEdDoc
on 2/27/18 4:22 am
RNY on 10/30/18

That kind of surprises me, I wouldn't think there would be that much to poop out. Thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/18 4:33 am
VSG on 10/11/16

There isn't always, but it often arrives in liquid form disguised as a fart. Welcome to the group,

SCEdDoc
on 2/27/18 4:37 am
RNY on 10/30/18

Wonderful :-( Thanks for the info...

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/18 4:41 am
VSG on 10/11/16

It will get better with time. In the early months I traveled with extra drawers. And by traveled, I mean anywhere I went outside the house. Now, almost 18 months out, it is extremely rare. You just have to remember the downside to forcing one out with vigor.

Don 1962
on 2/27/18 4:26 pm

Doc, you'd be surprised! Logic says little in = little out but that is not always the case! If it gets to feeling like you're passing a brick every time may have to go use a stool softener.

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/18 4:39 am
VSG on 10/11/16
On February 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM Pacific Time, SCEdDoc wrote:

I am about 6 months preop for the bypass surgery. Any tips? I am at 340 lbs now, 5'11". on 1900 calorie diet plan more protein than carbs. Going to the gym 5/7 days. for about an hour.

What is the worst thing about after the surgery. What keeps you from going back to work? Why do you have to drink water 15 before your meal and not with your meal? Can you get all your vitamins in one liquid per day.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark

To answer some of your other questions...

i had longer off from work than some on recommendation of my surgeon, as my occupation requires quite a bit of lifting heavy objects. I took about eight weeks off before starting back. Since I am owner, sole employee, and grand high panjandrum, it wasn't a problem.

Water. I found through CAREFUL experimentation I could drink right up to before I eat. Drinking during or immediately after washes the food down into your intestine faster. Not only will you get hungry faster, you expose yourself to dumping, which is extremely unpleasant.

I take a Centrum vitamin once a day. I had a sleeve, so your requirements may be different. For the first three months I used chewable bariatric vitamins until I was cleared to start swallowing pills. This might be better answered by your bariatric team over strangers on the internet.

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 27 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 27 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 63 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 85 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 95 views