A revolting development, or I need more protein

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/18 3:14 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Yesterday I stopped along the road to help a young lady in distress. Her tire had gone flat, and she had no jack and no spare. Her boyfriend arrived shortly after I did, and we proceeded to use my jack to change her tire using my spare, as we had the same make of car.

I applied the manufacturer's tiny lug wrench with all my might. I am (have been) extrordinarily strong all my life. It would not budge. Her 20 year old boyfriend cautioned me to "not strain myself". Then he got the lugs loose!!! He was apologetic. I was embarrassed. This was a first for me.

I am just a few months away from geezerhood. In October I will turn 60. I am not ready to roll over for some young buck just yet. I am upping my protein and starting in on some serious weight lifting. I may be old, but I am not ready to be feeble yet.

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/18 6:21 am
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/18 12:14 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Yeah, I'm in the best shape I've been in for many years too, but I've lost more muscle than I care for. Since it coincides with my WLS I'll blame that - at least for now.

Don 1962
on 6/14/18 7:18 am

Number 1: Nice to see a gentleman who will stop to help a damsel in distress. Women complain that chivalry is dead. I explain to them it is not dead just rusty needing the occasional squirt of "Water Displacement Formula 40".

Number 2: At 56 I'm not too far behind you heading into geezerhood. Depending on how the lug nuts were put on, by hand or impact gun, I have issues getting them lose too. Using those skimpy ass tire tools that come with cars does not help either. Especially the bull**** scissors jacks!

Number 3: The "young bucks" may out preform us physically but I would not want to be in their shoes, 20's and 30's, now days! Starting careers, kids, relationships etc. There are some advantages to being teetering on the edge of geezerhood!

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/18 12:18 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Thanks, Don. The last young lady I tried to help with a flat tire screamed at me and told me to stop talking to her because she didn't like strangers talking to her. All I said was, "Hey, your tire is flat". And my wife was standing right there with me so it wasn't even like I was trying to hit on her or something. I wouldn't want to be young again either, unless I could take my experience with me. And maybe not even then.

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/18 12:25 pm, edited 6/14/18 5:26 am
VSG on 10/11/16

I can blame the lug nuts, but I?m pretty sure I?m getting feeble.

Today I reconfigured my hitch for the camper from the Silverado to the Yukon I inherited from Dad. They are both ?09s, but the truck has 170,000 miles and the Yukon only has 59,000. But anyway...

i was loosening the nuts holding the ball to the drop and thinking, "Who put this on here?!?" Then I remembered. It was a fat guy before he lost all his weight. I got them loose, but it was more work than I care to contemplate. Protein and weights - after we get home from visiting the little monsters.

crazyzee
on 6/26/18 6:18 pm
RNY on 10/31/17

Bill, while I might not be up as far along in years as you I have to say it is most certainly the loss of weight. I'm a 37, partially disabled vet since 03 with 2 really boogered up legs. But I always had lots of extra strength in my arms and since having my surgery on Halloween last year I have lost so much power. Seriously changing a tire was a issue, heck even doing an oil change was getting close to struggle except for the fact I an fit under the vehicle now with out jacking it up, lol. I miss the strength but dont miss the other health issues with the extra weight. Anyway its nice to see you still put in the effort to be helpful to strangers.

I'm sure your generation has all sorts of complaints about my generation but just know my generation has so many with this next gen too. Good luck with the extra protein. I do it myself when I feel a little weaker.

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/18 2:30 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Thank you on a couple of levels, first and foremost for your sacrifice for our freedoms. I can tell a little of what you've gone through just from knowing a number of vets.

I am dragging out my dumbbells and starting up my upper body exercises again. I have an image to maintain and all.

chevtow41
on 7/11/18 12:00 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Losing a lot of weight isn't all fat unfortunately. I weightlift 6x a week and am stronger than ever but some stuff having that extra body mass just makes it easier.

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/18 3:23 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Haha, yeah, sometimes I miss that extra mass. Most of the time not, but every now and then I have to horse around a machine or something similar. I admire your dedication in lifting six days a week. I could not do that. But then, I have lots of rural type work to do which requires some muscle. As long as I can keep up, I'll be happy.

Most Active
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 21 views
Recent Topics
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 21 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 61 views