Protein shakes pros and cons?

Timmy R.
on 6/29/05 2:30 pm - Millinocket, ME
Hi Rob I relied on protein drinks almost exclusively for the first 2-3 months.... mostly out of fear.. I did slowly eat other things but as for making sure I got enough protein.. mixed four scoops of protein in a quart plastic bottle and sucked on it all day... 80 grams.. no muss no FUSS... BUT... your doctor is right. I eat a diet high in lean meat... cheese.. yogurt.. and one or two meals a day ( I eat 6-7 small meals) I score a protein bar.. good for 20 grams. I found recently I LOVE swiss cheese., and a big slice of swiss is 10 grams of protein by itself.. woo woo woo. I love cheese, and learning to combine food intelligently... cold cuts... lean meat... cheese.... a little lettuce from **salad in a bag** and poof.. **instant small meal.. on of 6 or 7. I am very blessed to have married a post op with 13 months on me.... she is 18 months out or so I am at 6 months... and she showed me.... eat slow.. chew really well... DONT drink for 30 minutes after eating.... DONT eat for at least 5-10 minutes after drinking.... read labels.. look for low carb and low sugar or Splenda flavored food..... And look for foods that meet this criteria and then enjoy : ) And we are always looking to expand out menu to make it more interesting. To answer your question: Use the protein shakes as a suppliment, but work hard to learn how to eat protein first and foremost... and eventually you can wein yourself OFF of them... I still use protein drinks occassionally.... but there is just a lot of good things, good food out that that works to get enough protein.. its just learning to access that type of food. Hope that helped? Tim Sytsma
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 81 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 94 views