Medication for bipolar?

Mini Gadget
on 7/11/08 10:00 pm - MN

Hi all, I recently was diagnosed as being bipolar/manic depressive with compulsive behavior (shopping, spending, cooking). The soonest I can get in with a psych. to start medication therapy is August. Right now my PCP has me on Effexor, but this does not seem to be helping much. So before I go into the psych, I want to do a little research on the medications available to help me.

If you are bipolar, what medications do you take? Do they seem to help? Any negative side effects? If you do not want to post openly please message me.

Thanks for any help

Bridget
Mini Gastric bypass 11/18/03
Revision due to Rejection 05/31/06
Patricia R.
on 7/12/08 11:31 am - Perry, MI

I am on Risperdal and Topamax.  Risperdal is very sedating, and calming.  The side effects are negligible to me.  Topamax causes loss of appetite in a lot of people.

Good luck.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

peter133
on 7/14/08 2:59 pm - melbourne, HI
On July 12, 2008 at 5:00 AM Pacific Time, Mini Gadget wrote:

Hi all, I recently was diagnosed as being bipolar/manic depressive with compulsive behavior (shopping, spending, cooking). The soonest I can get in with a psych. to start medication therapy is August. Right now my PCP has me on Effexor, but this does not seem to be helping much. So before I go into the psych, I want to do a little research on the medications available to help me.

If you are bipolar, what medications do you take? Do they seem to help? Any negative side effects? If you do not want to post openly please message me.

Thanks for any help

Without effort and action, you will not succeed. You can't wish your weight away. You have to work at it and be prepared for those times when you slip, so you can pick yourself up.Losing weight demands preparation, effort and commitment to come to fruition.It take so much effort such as reular walking or running,drinking plenty of water.

peter

[url=http://www.addictionrecovery.net/indiana]Addiction Recovery Indiana[/url]

peter133
on 7/14/08 3:04 pm - melbourne, HI

Resisting temptation is difficult. However, if you succeed in resisting the first time, it becomes easier to resist the next time. I is not easy to medication but if you want to loose your weight you have to do it.

peter

[url=http://www.addictionrecovery.net/indiana]Addiction Recovery Indiana [/url]

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/08 5:33 am - kent, WA

I am Bipolar, rapid cycling with compulsive/destructive behaviors. I take Risperadal 2 mg, I take Lamectal 500mg, I take Trazadone 300mg. I have no side effects beyond the dizzy spells occasionally. Risperadal has been known to cause excessive eating. Come to think of it might be why I gained 100 pounds in 2 years. Anyway those are the side effects I have noticed. But the benefits I have noticed are way better than without.

snicklefritz
on 8/3/08 5:20 am - Cincinnati, OH
I take 150 mg Topamax and 225mg Effexor. I take the Effexor at night as it helps me to sleep. I'm not sure what the the Topamax is supposed to do because to me it does not seem to be working and I have to get a new shrink. Old shrink was disbarred. Long story there
mkettles
on 8/16/08 4:07 pm - Albuquerque, NM

Hi!

I know it's been a month but I hope maybe I can shed some light on your situation.  I was misdiagnosed with major depression for about 4 years before they actually gave me a diagnosis of bipolar.  My doctor had actually been giving me Effexor for about two years and just kept increasing my dosage until I was at the max dosage.  Actually, it was making my depression WORST!!  I am now on lithium 1200mg, lamictal 200mg and zoloft 50mg for the bipolar, lorazepam (ativan)2-4mg for my anxiety and to help me sleep and I also take seroquel to help me sleep.  When they were trying to adjust my meds somehow I ended up with spell of insomnia that lasted nearly a year and therefore put me on the seroquel 600mg and lorazepam.  I'm trying to get off the seroquel but whenever I try I have a panic attack.  My miracle drug was the zoloft.  I just hadn't felt quite "right" but with just the smallest dose of the zoloft my mood was great and I felt NORMAL!!  I wish you all the best of luck!  It can be a long road but eventually they'll find that right combination and you'll feel so much better! :o) Michelle

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 671 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 671 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 883 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1584 views