Naltrexone

piper
on 6/2/09 10:22 am

Just wanted to ask if anyone on this forum has been put on Naltrexone for alcoholism?
If so, I'd like to hear your story and how it helped or didn't help you.

Thanks!

Patricia R.
on 6/2/09 1:52 pm - Perry, MI
I was put on Naltrexone for my binge eating disorder, and it helped immensely while I also did outpatient treatment for the disorder, and regular ongoing psychotherapy.  While I am a recovering alcoholic, and have struggled in the past 18 months with relapse/recovery, I have not used the Naltrexone for my alcoholism.

My first question would be Have you tried AA, if so for how long?  How many AA meetings have you attended,?  Have you worked the 12 Steps of AA with a sponsor?  Are you currently in psychotherapy?  Have you tried inpatient or outpatient treatment for alcoholism? 

There is no magic pill that makes us stop drinking.  For me, I need divine intervention, literally, God must stop me, and get me sane.  That is why I attend AA meetings.  That is why I have a sponsor and work the 12 steps to the best of my ability.  That is why I am in outpatient treatment for the past six months.

Millions of people have stopped drinking with AA.  I once had over 8 years of sobriety one time.  Another time I had over 6 years.  I did all that without the Naltrexone.  

Good luck.
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

piper
on 6/2/09 10:59 pm
Thanks for your response. I have tried many programs over the past few years, with only short periods of success. ( I had been sober for 12+ years, quit on my own, and then had gastric bypass and began drinking about 3 years after)
This program is the Dr. visits for shots of Naltrexone, therapy and attending support groups of your choice. I have been to many AA meetings over the years. I just wanted the added help of the drug to claim down the cravings a bit so I can clear my head and set goals for myself. They begin by detoxing you for a week and then the drug. It's a year long program. It's outpatient. No Dr. has ever offered this drug and program before, so I thought why not try again. I don't want to just give up.
Patricia R.
on 6/4/09 12:09 pm - Perry, MI
I relapsed several times after many years of sobriety in AA.  I never really worked the 12 Steps with a sponsor.  Back in October, after over 6 years of sobriety, and two years after my RNY, my therapist put his foot down and insisted I get treatment for my alcoholism.  I have been in outpatient treatment since then.  It really knocked me for a loop because I have been in and out of AA for almost 20 years, not really doing what I had to do to stay sober.  

You may want to go back to AA, and get a sponsor, and ask for help in working the steps, while you are on the Naltexone.  I would never discourage you from following a doctor's advice.  There is a concern about being on Naltrexone, and that is that you should wear a medical ID bracelet, in case of an accident, the ER can know that you will need stronger narcotics for any pain that you may experience, because it will inhibit the effectiveness of opiates, and make it harder to get rid of physical pain while on them.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best in recovery.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

piper
on 6/4/09 11:50 pm
Thank you, Trish. The program that I am going to has on-site meetings that I will attend. I have read a lot about Naltrexone and I knew about the pain management concerns. I'll talk more to the Dr. about that too. Right now I am taking baby steps thru all of this, being very cautious. 
Seems like you are always the one to reply to everyone on this board with helpful input and I appreciate that very much. Sometimes it's just nice to chat and get others perspective on the struggle of alcoholism, but in the end I know I have to be the one to really take care of myself, right? That feels lonely, yet I know I am not alone. There are so many of us, it's hard to fathom. 

Thanks again and keep up your good work. 

best regards,
piper 
Lalocaweta
on 6/11/09 2:51 am - Spicewood, TX
I have not tried Naltrexone, but did try Antabuse. It did not work for me at all - did not make me ill, etc. (The only thing it did was give me a temporary rash when I drank with it.) The doctor finally decided it was due to the malabsorption factor of the wls.
I do know that Naltrexone is also used for opiate addiction.
I would encourage you to explore ALL of your options, not just medication.
Good luck - alcoholism is a b**ch - I think of all the addictions - it is the hardest to beat. We are faced with our drug of choice every where we go - the grocery store, the gas station, a restaurant, media, etc.
Anne

piper
on 6/11/09 6:31 am
Thanks for the info. I defintely will consider all avenues. Weren't you recently in treatment?
I thought I saw that in one of your postings. How did you do. I hope you are well.

Thanks! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 671 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 671 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 883 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1584 views