Can anyone suggest an antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication that does not cause weight...

judy0810
on 2/12/15 8:53 am

I have gained back 30 of the 100 lbs I lost since I started taking Lexapro.

DInscoe
on 2/22/15 9:50 pm

I have been taking Zoloft and haven't noticed a big difference.  But I'm pre-op so I have my normal weight gain anyways. 

MS_Knitter
on 2/24/15 5:49 am

Have you tried wellbutrin?

severman
on 2/28/15 5:51 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Latuda is a new one

ipray
on 6/3/15 7:25 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Lurasidone, (Latuda) is used to treat the symptoms of SCHIZOPHRENIA and BI-POLAR DISORDER and is in a class of medications called ATYPICAL ANTIPSYCHOTICS. They should never be prescribed for anxiety/panic/OCD or depression. Maybe try adding a stimulant (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc.) to the Lexapro. (Strattera is a non-stimulant that works like a stimulant if you want to try something milder.) I have ADHD and anxiety and it is very hard to find that perfect combination that works, as the stimulant may work, but the SSRI doesn't and vice versa. Takes a bit of time, trial and error. Be sure to talk with your doctor first about adding in a stimulant, as it may not be the best thing for your situation and he may just want to try another type of SSRI that doesn't cause the weight gain. And be sure to make a doctor's appointment soon as 30 lbs can easily turn into 60 lbs., etc. You don't want to undo all of your hard work. (Explain to your doctor how extremely important it is that you don't regain all of the weight that you worked so hard to lose.) Good luck to you!

tatirod
on 6/14/15 6:41 pm - Toronto, Canada

I am a medical writer (I write journal articles for pharmaceutical companies, explaining their clinical data). I have dePression and happen to write for depression, so I have to be familiar with the clinical side effects of antidepressants. I am no doctor, but from what I have read, They all have the potential for weight gain. Some have a greater effect on specific people than others, and there are no predictors for how you will respond with respect to weight gain.

i tried Lexapro, among about 5 others, before I found one that helped my depression. I gained weight initially with the medication I am on, but eventually it stabilizes (meaning, you shouldn't gain an infinite amount of wright). Unfortunately, I would recommend just talking to your doctor and asking for a change. Maybe talk to your bariatric team too. I am sure they have encountered weight gain due to medication and may have specific tips. In my opinion, effective control of depression is the most important aspect. I never want to go back to that dark spot. 

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

MaronitaMay
on 7/14/15 12:13 am

I take Lamictal (technically an anti-seizure medication that has been approved for Bipolar Disorder).  I was originally put on it for my seizure disorder but when I no longer needed it for my seizure disorder I got my neurologist to keep me on it for my depression.  This medication works great for my mood.  I took this medication before surgery and did not gain weight and I am still on it 3 1/2 years after surgery albeit greatly reduced level and still have not gained anything.  I also take Effexor which in my own experience does not put on weight.  Make sure they do not put you on the extended release version as after surgery you can not take extended-release nor slow-release.

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/15 5:33 am - nyork, AK

Here are a few amazing tips that will help you get rid of depression/anxiety and also will keep you healthy and stop your weight gain.

-Rest well by that i mean proper 7-8 hrs of sleep and try to set a schedule for that ..also power naps 
-Exercise don't over do set 15-30 mins of ur day time for this ..or like every alternate day and make it a habit . Don't over do it keep it mild ..try treadmill or so ..when you don't feel like it try substituting this time with other sport activity say basketball etc or cycling/swimming 
-just like exercise set apart a few mins of your daily time to meditate or quieting your mind say 15 mins again don't overdo it or if you cant do it daily set 2-3 days a week and make a habit of it 
-Get into some club with a cause say a club that volunteers or any club check out what you like or would like ..it can be a sports club , music club reading club any club where you think you cud find people who have likes/minds like you 
-Get busy ..I would suggest some mental stimulation ...anything where yo could learn a new skill say music , math, anything u think you like 
-Watch your stomach..eat well ..small meals if you like don't overeat keep your belly light but don't starve yourself ..you ll be astounded how active you can be if your gut is light ..but again sleep beats it all ..sleep well.. 
-Do one experiment: keep a check on ur moods against how well you slept last night ..may be its just the sleep ..many times when we dont sleep well our mind wanders so do this check on yourself.  
-Stop worrying about what will happen in the future and let go of the past ..

Lastly a piece of advise that dont rush into all of the above all at the same time you might give up on all very soon ..so start with one or two and make them a part of your routine slowly and gradually try others..and please stay away from too much medication. So If you're looking for some effective tips and home remedies for anxiety, just try these

Hope

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 11/23/15 4:40 pm - Belleville, IL

I've been on Wellbutrin for nearly 12 years and it has been a lifesaver both BEFORE and after RNY, No weight gain. I also have Lorazapam (Ativan) as needed for when I am having a panic PTSD attack. Neither have caused any weight gain for me. I also have been given Trazadone at night for pain or anxiety (PRN) The thing with psychiatric meds is that what works for me might be a disaster for you and vice versa. You have to just keep working with your PDoc and find out what works for you.  Also remember if you have had RNY that you cannot take Long Term or meds that are extended release.

Warmly,

Jackie

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 686 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 679 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 893 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1593 views