Sooo...I am trying to make sure I have the best outcome with RNY.

Karen R.
on 8/4/15 10:32 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I have been reading a lot (both here and online) about how WLS causes increased problems with depression. My PCP currently prescribes my antidepressants. Would it be helpful to see a therapist pre-op? I passed my mental health evaluation for surgery; if so how do I go about finding a therapist that is familiar with the effects of WLS? Most have a general list of things they see patients for. Suggestions please.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Hislady
on 8/14/15 9:39 pm - Vancouver, WA

Many of the successful WLS people see a therapist on a regular basis during their weight loss journey. Some of the depression during weight loss is because of the hormones that are released into your system as you lose the weight. Hormones are stored in your fat and when you lose that they move out into your system and cause depression but it usually goes away or lessens as the weight loss slows.

A good person to ask about a therapist is your surgeons office. Your body and mind go thru soooo many changes during weight loss that it is good to have one on board every step of the way!

Karen R.
on 8/15/15 5:29 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Many thanks!

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

hl1524
on 10/21/15 11:52 am - Austin, TX

I don't think your therapist would have to be completely familiar with effects of WLS but perhaps understand addiction and/or eating disorders. I can't recommend therapy enough to people who want to have WLS.

I felt like I had a good grip on why I did the things that I did. I felt like I had a good support system. I spent a number of years learing nutrition and eating the right way. The truth of the matter is once I had wls the most common coping mechanism I had of eating food to make myself feel better was taken away. I have had a hard time finding a therapist. It's good to start now especially if your insurance covers the visits. I have found people in the mental healthcare industry are extremely booked, or not accepting new patients.

RNY 8/27/2014

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 671 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 671 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 883 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1584 views