First major depressive episode post surgery

HonestOmnivore
on 7/12/18 8:33 am
RNY on 03/29/17

I had my first major depressive episode about nine months post surgery, but didn't catch how bad it was until almost a year post surgery. I think that the excitement of the surgery, the fun with the weight loss, the bump in endorphins from all the exercise kind of masked my typical symptoms and let things get pretty bad before I realized what was happening.

I was challenged by a lack of mental health professionals in my medical market and couldn't get in to get meds prescribed even after I realized I was in trouble. I had continued to see my therapist throughout this entire time but even he missed some of the signs. When I finally got into a clinician, I ended up getting admitted (yikes!) so my medication could be balanced out - that was an unexpected week off of work :(

I am putting this public post up because I want to remind everyone that has WLS to make sure you are tuned into your mental state post surgery even when everything is going GREAT! It can creep up on you and then it's tough to get back on track mentally (weight loss is going fine).

Take care of yourself!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Amy R.
on 7/21/18 10:18 am

I'm so sorry that happened to you. We may disagree about eating patterns and diets and such around here, but no one would ever wish that on anybody.

It takes a strong person to battle back from these things. Good for you for thinking to come over and post this in the hopes of helping someone. It sounds like you're doing better and I really hope that you are.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/22/18 9:25 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am sorry to learn that you suffered a bout of major depression -- I know that is a scary place to be, and often takes a while to get meds balanced to bring one back to equilibrium. While a hospital admission isn't something anyone desires, I am glad you got the help you needed, and I sincerely hope that you are feeling better emotionally.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 669 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 671 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 883 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1584 views