BeliteWeight, Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villarreal, Star Medica Juarez Mexico Questions

Sammy D.
on 7/9/14 2:20 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Hello everyone,

I am new here and seeking some honest answers to a couple questions. I am speaking with Jessica from BeliteWeight Inc. about a Gastric Sleeve surgery. As my health insurance will not cover any type of bariatric surgery, regardless of medical necessity, I am forced to look into other options. Unfortunately I am pushing 475 and in chronic pain all the time, along with sleep apnea, fatty liver, hypertension, diverticulitis, and pre-diabetic, I'm afraid the time has come and gone for me to shed the pounds the old fashioned way. Really wished I didn't waste my youth.

That being said, considering the predicament, I know this is life or death for me. I had pretty much exhausted all options before I stumbled upon BeliteWeight. I was very hesitant when Jessica told me the surgery is in Mexico. What attracted me was the in house financing option they were advertising $1500 down and $150/month on a nearly all inclusive package for $6800.

The research I have done thus far has shown nothing but positive results. Star Medica Hospital in Juarez Mexico looks more like a Hotel/Resort compared to hospitals here in Eastern NC. The doctor appears to be extremely thorough in his work, even going above and beyond. The BeliteWeight website paints a real pretty picture of over 7000 patients served with no complications. Reviews I have read and seen from patients appear to be 100% positive aside from a nurse or two in the hospital that do not speak english.

What concerns me is the following: No Surgeon has a 100% complication free success rate (except Jesus).

Reading forums here and other sites people said they were having the surgery with BeliteWeight and never post follow ups as promised. What happened to them? Are they still here with us?

I'm sure there have to be at least a few negatives, from hidden/unexpected costs, complications from surgery, ability to obtain financing etc....

I am also concerned I may not be able to receive follow-up care here in NC post surgery. I have heard stories where doctors here in the States will not touch or have anything to do with surgical procedures done in other countries. My wife knows one lady who got a lap band in Mexico and was unable to find a doctor willing to do adjustments on the device.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will, but I find it pretty suspect that there is absolutely no negative reviews to be found. Could these be paid testimonials and reviews?

Not that I am wanting be negative or anything, but the fact I have seen no negative reviews concerns me, like I said no surgeon has a 100% success rate.

What I am seeking is truthful and honest reviews from those who actually chose this route. I need to be prepared for anything.

Is there anyone on here that give a good review of their experience without sugar coating it?

I sincerely appreciate any help and advice out there.

Yours Truly, Sammy

hollykim
on 7/9/14 7:32 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

i used brliteweight almost 5yrs ago and had no problem. They are legit. I have had two Wls,hernia repair, dental implants and some seriously extensive plastic surgery in MX in the last 5 years. My experience with all of them,and they were different surgeons too,has been awesome.

you can tell paid advertisers on the board cause they don't usually have. Filled out profile  and a regular posting history. They have usually just joined that day to do their shilling.

yes, surgeons in MX have  patients with problems,but so do surgeons in the us. We don't usually hear about them,either ,do we?

gl

Sammy D.
on 7/9/14 9:19 pm - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Thanks,

Though I'm not a negative person, Seeing absolutely no negative reviews, or negative experiences, I felt it a little suspect. I always evaluate the positive and negative in order to make a sound decision. Was there any part of your experience that was negative, even if it's not related to the surgery itself, such as logistics, unexpected expenses, or anything of that nature?

Sammy

hollykim
on 7/9/14 11:45 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

no,not really. Everything was as expected and as portrayed. The only extra expense I ever incurred was having to spend 50.00 to pay for a cab back to the airport with one of my dentist visits. There were no unexpected costs with any of the weight loss surgeries or the plastics.  

You have to remember this being another country,it won't necessarily be like the us. You might never find any bad reviews cause the ppl who had bad experiences don't post bout them anywhere.

FindingNemo
on 7/10/14 11:46 am

Hi Sammy,

My surgery in TJ went well but I wish I had done more research overall before the trip.  Since you have associated conditions to obesity, your risk of complications is higher.  Maybe factor in some extra costs if complications arise-- such as a longer hospital stay.  Give yourself time to acclimatize to Mexico after you arrive for your body to adjust before rushing into the OR & extra few days before you travel back. Walk as much as possible before and after surgery to prevent DVTs.  Getting the leg compression stockings to wear on the flight down can decrease any leg swelling from the flight.  Will you have a companion with you to help you post-op?  I would hope you are covered for anything medical related once you return back.  Remember people move between countries all the time and need to be seen for medical care, regardless of where they had the original surgery.  All the best on your journey!  

Sammy D.
on 7/11/14 12:25 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Thanks for the reply. I am honestly considering driving if I go this route. I know Eastern NC to EL Paso is a long way, but DVT does worry me with flying, and truthfully flying in general is not for me (call me a scaredy cat if you will). I plan to have my wife with me, but since she is blind, I may have to ask another relative or friend to come along to help with the drive. I know after surgery, I have a place I can stay in Houston with some friends if need be.

I know you mentioned about wishing you had done more research before you went, was there anything you missed during your initial research that you wished you knew?

Thanks

se3k007
on 8/3/14 11:40 am

There is a location in Florida. No need to travel all the way to MX. 

caddiegirl
on 7/10/14 12:21 pm

I have never posted on here before, until now. I was in your exact position a month ago. I research and research Dr. Rodriguez at Beliteweight to find out as much information as I could. I had a co worker that went to him last year, so that's why I chose him. I said well she came back alive with no problems so I will go with Dr . Rodriquez.  I am posting this only to answer your exact questions. I just had surgery in Juarez,  Mexico with Dr. Rodriquez on June, 26 2014 just two weeks ago. I am here to tell you it was the best surgeon and hospital ever. Everything we both researched is so true. I went the day before surgery which was a Wednesday and on Thursday I had my surgery around 6pm that afternoon. He had 3 on my floor including me and 6 on the floor above me who surgery he was doing. He is very nice and caring. He and the assist doctor visited me everyday I was there I had a rny revision done. The hospital is impeccable and the nurses very helpful and kind, but a few do speak little English most do but they said enough for me to understand.  They have a driver to pick you up and take you back to the airport.  I used my drivers license and birth certificate to cross back to the states from the border. I have had NO complications and doing great and back to myself. I returened to work just this Monday with no problems and I am also driving myself around. I would recommend the Dr. a hundred times over. My cousin came with me and was afraid at first before we got there and after she saw the treatment she even said I'm telling everone I know about this place. Now, they do offer financing but I paid out of pocket.  I had Sylvia and she was very helpful and kind. Overall, I would I do this again with Dr. Rodriguez in Mexico....IN A HEARTBEAT! Any questions you have I would be glad to answer. Best of luck in your journey and I hope this helps. 

TryingHard18
on 10/13/14 11:35 am - atlanta, GA

Hi Caddie,

Can you tell which surgery you had previous and which surgery did you revise to?

I am thinking of RNY to RNY.

Thanks!

caddiegirl
on 4/10/15 2:28 am

Hello TryingHard18,

In 2001 I had the Gastric Bypass (RNY) in the states and I went to Dr. Rodriguez in June of 2014 for a revision of the RNY. It's where the intestine are cut even shorter so I can stay full longer. Since then I have lost 74lbs and still trying.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 228 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 427 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1055 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1615 views