Gastric bypass for teen daughter, doctor recommendations?

MMoorehouse
on 11/15/14 2:53 pm

My daughter is 17 and severely overweight. She has major joint and back problems. Our insurance will not pay until she is 18, which will be after she begins college. She was hoping to have surgery over the holidays or beginning of the year so that she can recover while she is home with Dad and I and begin her journey here with our support. The insurance kind of strung us along that even though there is a minimum age of 18 that they might consider her case. So we've been going to a doctor and going through all the requirements and training and now that we have completed everything and ready to schedule the insurance is now balking and saying no. My daughter is devastated and a year is a long time to wait when you are in physical pain and have a horribly low self esteem. So, we are now considering the option of having a gastric bypass in Mexico. Dad and I are scared because if she does have a complication she is out of the country (we will be with her) and then if she gets back home and has a complication our insurance may or may not pay. I am going to have lots of questions, but what I want to know initially is has anybody had a gastric bypass RNY in Mexico and what has been your experience. Are there any particular doctors who have a lot of experience with RNY and who are they? We are looking at Dr. Joya. I am having surgery in January so she can piggy back off what I learn through the process but I guess my concern is just how safe is it to have a bypass in Mexico. Any advice and tips are appreciated!

Mary C.
on 11/19/14 1:42 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi - my husband has VSG with Dr. Joya in May of last year. I went down with him. I want to say first that I am an Emergency Room RN. The whole experience from start to finish - was trouble free and exactly as stated on his website. The hospital was as clean and modern as anyone could wish for. The hotel - was amazing. Any questions were addressed as fast as one could expect. We chose Dr. Joya because we knew people who had gone to him before and had the same excellent experience. While we were down there, we got to meet with a lady who had RNY - we had met on line before going down. She had surgery the day before my husband and has done wonderful. As far as complications down there - we did pay into the $500 complication fund. I know a young lady who did have a leak while down there - and she was taken care of in a timely, proper manner. And she did well. As far as insurance once you are back home - I really can't comment on that - as I am in Canada and our medicare system is much different from yours - I assume you are in the US. Good luck to you all!

Mary 

aroth79
on 11/19/14 2:15 am

Hello there, sorry to hear all that its bad when you got a big illusions and then you see how it disappear, I can tell you that having my surgery in Mexico was the best decision I could have taken in my whole life, my doctors were and are excellent people, pleasant, prepared and above all very human and caring, and let s face it in the US we are not that great in warmly on health care, I made the decision to have this surgery in another country first for the $$$ and the city that I chose is on the border with the US really closed from where I lived, my husband come with me and sincerely the days I spent there caused me great peace, I knew it was the beginning of something wonderful! as I know the Drs. that did my surgery have done gastric sleeves with teenagers before, when I went on mine they have a little girls I think she was 4teen something, I don't know more things about it, but I mean do more research! don't lose hope, I know how difficult it is to suffer overweight in high school and how hard it is to go all the days when you don't feel good about yourself, much love for you and your daughter!

Anna R.

Surgery May 2014 in Mexicali

wendyss
on 11/20/14 1:58 pm

Yes! There are doctors that are better than others. I went to Mexico with Dr Ungson, he is a very good bypass surgeon, you might want to  do research on him too.   The hospital in Mexicali  were I had my surgery done is  top notch and the care is outstanding.  Dr Ungson has many years of experience and you will find many of his patients on the  DS and RNY  boards.   T

VSG  2014  with Dr Gilberto Ungson (after failed lap band) 

MMoorehouse
on 11/20/14 9:25 pm

Good to know, that is where we have decided to go. She is having surgery over Christmas break. The doctors at Mexicali have reviewed all her information and instead of going with a bypass, which is the only thing our insurance wanted to pay for, they have advised they think due to her age and the malabsorption and risks that the sleeve would be the better option for her. That makes me feel better too that I know they actually were concerned about her health and not just performing a surgery and getting the money. The coordinator there has been wonderful to answer all my hundreds of questions LOL and has been able to send me lots of information.

angel720
on 12/3/14 1:40 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

I had surgery in Mexicali with Dr Wilhelmy, who will be her surgeon?  I think it is wonderful that she can get it so young, I wish I had it in my teens! 

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

MMoorehouse
on 12/3/14 9:27 pm

It is Dr. Wilhelmy, we have heard that he makes a nice tight sleeve and that his patients have excellent results. When did you have your surgery? A what has been your experience there?

Chery Taylor
on 1/10/15 8:37 pm

I had surgery with Dr Illian. He has a support group on Facebook its called teamillian. i know one of the ladies in the support group took herself her daughter and her husband to Dr Illian. I was sleeved by him on 12-8-14. Please take some time to look into him and his team. Best decision i ever made. Please contact me directly. here's his teams contact information

[email protected]

Take care Chery

MMoorehouse
on 1/10/15 11:20 pm

Thanks for the reply, She had her surgery on Dec. 19 with Dr. Wilhelmy. She is doing great other than she gets dry heaves. The doctor thinks it is likely due to not getting in enough liquids and getting dehydrated. She had trouble getting her PPI down so he had her switch to the tiny Nexium capsule and she can get that down. We're hoping as she can build up her liquid intake the dry heaves will stop. Our experience with Dr. Wilhelmy and his team was stellar. We could not have asked for a nicer facility and team.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 194 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 399 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1022 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1581 views