Travel to Juarez?

SoSmilie
on 11/15/14 9:47 am - South Bend, IN

Okay, I am pretty sure I am going to MX in January to get the sleeve. Hubs has agreed to go with me, but he's still not happy about it. My main concern right now is safety in traveling to Juarez. Has anyone traveled there recently and were there any problems or feeling of being unsafe? I'm going through Belite Weight and they pick you up in El Paso and take you directly across the border to the hospital. I just don't want to get caught up in all the violence that's going on there.

stephg73
on 11/17/14 8:51 am

I travel to Juarez via El Paso..everything went smooth, actually travelled alone. I gave the facilitator my itinerary for ,upon arrival at the airport within 5 minutes the driver was calling me. Crossing border was quick, straight to the hospital..checked in. 

stephg73
on 11/17/14 8:56 am

At no time did I feel in danger. Arrived in Monday.. Blood drawn ,  ekg and xray. Tuesday was surgery.. After a couple hours I was up walking. Wednesday..more walking..clear liquid diet started. Later that day leak test , drain tube removed. Thursday after 12, I was headed home.

bj5843
on 1/22/15 3:01 am

Hi - I know that this has been a couple of months since you posted, but I was hoping you could give an update. I'm thinking of using beliteweight and traveling to Juarez, Mexico in March with Dr. Jose Rodriguez. I'm a little concerned going to Mexico and my family is not too excited about it either, so any information would help.  Thanks

SoSmilie
on 1/22/15 3:24 am - South Bend, IN

Do it!  Seriously, I have no regrets going to Mexico an using beliteweight ad Dr. Rodriguez.  At no time did I feel any danger of being in Juarez, and my husband even ventured away from the hospital to go to a restaurant and the mall across the street.  I used Star Medica and they were so professional - just like any US hospital.  The language barrier wasn't really a problem, and all staff were incredibly kind. They pick you up at El Paso airport and crossing the border took all of 2 minutes - didn't even have to show ID.  On the way back, I had to show my prescriptions and medicine and they checked passports, but they suspected something on the cab driver so they did pull us over and search the car and our luggage and call in the drug dog and put the cab through an x-ray machine, but the border guards were very friendly with us and I told them I just had surgery.  I think our cabbie probably smoked a little something before picking us up and that's what they detected on him, but they let us all go.  That was the most exciting part of the trip.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.  Good luck!

bj5843
on 1/22/15 3:27 am

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I've been trying for over a year to get something done here, but I can't seem to get any help. My BMI is 45 and I was thinking about the sleeve.if you don't mind me asking, what procedure did you have done and how is it going?

SoSmilie
on 1/25/15 10:09 am - South Bend, IN

Hi!  I had the sleeve done and I'm 12 days out.  Doing very well, I think.  No nausea or vomiting/diarrhea at all!  In a few days I can start soft foods.  I miss chewing.  My only real pain comes from my skin being irritated by the contestant changing of bandages and they also ripped off a big part of skin with surgical tape.  My incisions are healing well.  I go back to work tomorrow - I took a week after surgery off.  I'm very tired and weak, but I did just have my stomach pulled out.  My BMI was 50 with no co-mobidities, so I'm pretty healthy except being fat.  That may be why I'm healing well and doing well in general.  Surgery is never the easy way out and I am really teaching myself how to eat and drink.  I've lost 15 pounds so far, but have stalled the last few days.  I'm okay with that - the weight didn't come on overnight so I understand it will take awhile to come off.  I'm worried about saggy skin, but hey, it's better than rolls and fat dimples.  I can't wait to live a healthier and more active lifestyle!

I chose the sleeve because I didn't want my guts completely rearranged with RNY and the band has been shown to not be as effective down the line and I didn't want that thing in me and have to go for fills.  

Anything else I can answer or help you with please let me know.  It really helped me to talk to people through both email and in person.  There's a great group on Facebook - Bariatric Bad Girls Club, but you're supposed to be close to pre-op or already had surgery.

Good luck to you and just be sure you know what you're getting into!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 251 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 442 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views