How long is the whole process from initial contact to setting a surgery date?

JanGaGrl
on 2/19/15 12:49 am

I had a friend that went through Specialized Bariatrics in October 2014, and had a great experience. I decided that I was now ready to have my surgery, but SB refuses to answer my emails/voicemails. I have already completed the patient health questionnaire, but its been silent since sending it to them.

I contacted the new office of Dr. Lopez today through their new website. I am just curious as to how long it should take for me to set a surgery date. I have the money to pay in full right now, but the longer the money is in my account, the more money I will spend before my surgery!

Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

Y D.
on 2/19/15 5:47 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I inquired on 11/24, got approved on 11/25 after turning in my questionnaire and Dr. reviewed and picked my surgery date. I paid my deposit which guaranteed my date. I paid the balance by depositing a check in the Dr.'s business account at Bank of America so I was fully paid before surgery.

This was before all the recent drama so it might be a little longer for the moment, but hopefully not more than a week!

Dr. Lopez is a great surgeon, I'm very happy he took care of me.

dinwards
on 2/19/15 6:54 am

what recent drama? I am researching going to Mexico for the sleeve since my insurance doesn't cover anything

Y D.
on 2/19/15 8:16 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Dr. Lopez was previously affiliated with Mexico Bariatric Center and it's sister company Specialized Bariatrics- he left after his contract expired and started his own practice. MBC has made things very messy and muddled for clients who had booked prior to the split and caused a lot of issues.

Go through Dr. Lopez' new company directly; it might take a bit longer than usual with handling new and existing clients but I'm sure they'll get back to you as soon as possible, its a great team.

JanGaGrl
on 2/19/15 10:26 am

I finally heard back from MBC today. I have decided to stick with them since my friend's surgeon is there. I did get a reply email from Anakaren from Dr. Lopez' office, and was shocked to see the special pricing of the sleeve at Vida was only $4600! I'll be paying $4500 at Mi. :( oh well, I'm still excited/nervous/thrilled that I have a date set. 

My surgery date is Friday, March 13th (Friday the 13th!!) Luckily, I am not superstitious!! 

Jennifer E.
on 2/22/15 9:32 am

My surgery date is March 11th in Tijuana with Dr. Garcia, GOOD LUCK and YAY for us!! :)

amheather76
on 3/5/15 10:47 am - Fort Worth, TX

Congrats!  Please keep us posted how it goes.  I recently found out this week my lap-band of almost 10 years has malfunctioned and I will need to either have it removed or go with a revision.  However, my insurance has an exclusion clause on bariatric surgery.. I am seriously considering pursuing a revision in Mexico but am very nervous.  I look forward to hearing to following your story.

rachaelv
on 5/20/15 9:32 am - Williston, ND

Hello! I just read your comment and realized you went through something I am currently going through. I have had my band for 5 years and my insurance company also has an exclusion clause on bariatric surgery. What has been the outcome for you this far? I am starting to look into possibly going to mexico for a revision and am nervous too. I don't even know where to begin. How are things going with you now?

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 225 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 426 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1054 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1612 views