Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Garcia 03/11/15 DS surgery. Will anyone else be there?

Jennifer E.
on 2/22/15 9:28 am

I am so excited to start this journey. During this whole planning and preparing, I was most nervous about flying. Being a large passenger and walking through the airport knowing my legs and back would start hurting bad. I sent a request for information in with Southwest and instead of receiving an email reply I received a phone call. I was told that I would be taken are of there and back. A wheelchair would be there for me if needed and that I can board first to get the front row seating. That phone call eased my mind completely! I fly out of Dulles Airport (VA) to San Diego on the 10th of March and will be flying home on the 17th. surgery is set up with Dr. Garcia (who I am FB friends with and seeing all of his happy patients, LOVE IT!!) He is such a sweet man! My coordinator has been amazing. I went to www.tijuanabariatrics.com because I knew I wanted to get the Duodenal Switch and I wanted it done in Tijuana. Everything came together perfectly for me. I am beyond excited for my trip and for my surgery!

Is anyone else going to be in Tijuana around that time in March? Are you getting the DS surgery or had it?

jenn1469
on 2/24/15 3:36 am

are you going to Javier Garcia with provadense  I am going here in June for plastic surgery. If so let me no how it goes. Good luck youll do great!!!

Jennifer

Jennifer E.
on 2/25/15 11:27 am

Hello! My doctor is Dr. Fernando Garcia at the Florance Health System Hospital (tijuanabariatrics.com) I will def. get updates on my journey to Mexico, the hospital and the surgery :)

Kfrenzel26
on 2/25/15 10:50 am

I am not going then unless my birth certificate. comes soon. I am still trying to find a great priced dr in Tijuana for the DS. So I would love to be kept up to date with all that you do?

Jennifer E.
on 2/25/15 11:30 am

I went to the post office and applied for my password card. It arrived within a few weeks. Getting into Mexico seems pretty easy but you def want papers/documentation when you leave. ideally, a passport or passport card. What price range are you trying to stay in. Lots of amazing doctors in Mexico! I will update this forum with my trip and surgery!

jenn1469
on 2/25/15 8:59 pm

yes we are going to different doctors. Let me no how the hotel is too haven't figured out yet. Good luck and fast recovery.

Jennifer

Sandra F.
on 3/2/15 4:48 am

Had my surgery with Dr. Fernando Garcia on October 6th.  You are in good hands.  As far as I know you definitely need a passport to cross back into the US.

Jennifer E.
on 3/20/15 1:23 pm

Yes, great hands! Thank goodness i had my passport card, it would not have been any easy trip back home. lol

buzzangel06
on 3/17/15 4:27 pm

Hi Jennifer, I'm going to Dr. Garcia on April 9th. How was everything? 

Jennifer E.
on 3/20/15 1:21 pm

Surgery was amazing and my trip and experience was worth every penny! (Pictures posted of Mexico and the hospital on my facebook, Jennifer Ihrer Whitlow, feel free to add me)

Dr. Garcia and ALL of the doctors and nurses were beyond amazing. I went for the DS but ended up with the sleeve and a partial refund check. My blood pressure was very high and it was not safe to do the switch. I will go back in a year (if needed).

The trip to San Diego was perfect, flew Southwest, bought an extra seat and sat in the first row (I asked to preboard due to my size). Southwest is great.

Ricardo picked me and my husband up within 5 minutes of landing. San Diego airport is awesome and simple to navigate. Gate > baggage > outside. Nothing like Dulles airport in Va (yikes! lol)

I went to the hotel, the Marriott is freaking AMAZING!! Be prepared to tip! I think most of our extra money went to tipping. I didn't plan on that. Tipping the drivers, staff at the hotel, for food etc.

The surgery was perfect. Second day was surgery day. Went to the hospital early, they did the EKG, put in the IV and you left to get an xray of your heart. Then they took you for surgery. The only pain I had was gas pain. Not horrible, just hard to get comfortable. I was in no other pain and actually told them to stop the pain meds. For me, less is better with medication of any kind. My choice. I was walking around within 30 minutes after surgery and because of my high BP I was told to RELAX. lol I am just over a week Post Op, lost a total of 35 lbs and I feel amazing. I felt amazing the following day too. I had surgery on a Wed, xray to check for leaks on Thursday, drain out on Friday, IV out on Saturday and went to the hotel. My stay was longer due to the planning of getting the DS. No biggie, my husband and I used the Marriotts taxi service and went exploring Tijuana on Sunday. So much fun!

This was the best decision I could have ever made and I look forward to seeing Dr. Garcia and his staff again! The best care I ever had at any hospital by far! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 195 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 401 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1024 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1582 views