9 days post op - I am a Sleever! Here's my experience....Tijuana Mexico!

Jennifer E.
on 3/20/15 1:35 pm

Surgery was with Dr. Garcia from Tijuana Bariatrics. He is amazing and comes HIGHLY recommended.

My surgery was amazing and my trip and experience was worth every penny! (Pictures posted of Mexico and the hospital on my facebook, Jennifer Ihrer Whitlow, feel free to add me)

Dr. Garcia and ALL of the doctors and nurses were beyond amazing. I went for the DS but ended up with the sleeve and a partial refund check. My blood pressure was very high and it was not safe to do the switch. I will go back in a year (if needed) for the switch. Due to my size, i will probably still get that just to insure my weight will stay off.

The trip to San Diego was perfect, flew Southwest, bought an extra seat and sat in the first row (I asked to preboard due to my size). Southwest is great and VERY accommodating.

Ricardo picked me and my husband up within 5 minutes of landing. San Diego airport is awesome and simple to navigate. Gate > baggage > outside. Nothing like Dulles airport in Va (yikes! lol) Going from the airport to San Diego was about a 15 minute drive and he just drove right now, no issue.

We went to the hotel first, the Marriott is freaking AMAZING!! Be prepared to tip! I think most of our extra money went to tipping. I didn't plan on that. Tipping the drivers, staff at the hotel, for food etc. We stayed at the hotel for day one and went to the hospital the next morning. Best part of the trip, everything is planned and drivers are set up. I just did as I was told. lol

The surgery was perfect. Second day was surgery day. Went to the hospital early, they did the EKG, put in the IV and I left the hospital briefly to get an xray of my heart (hubby came with me, the drive JR. is too much. Great guy. Then they took me for surgery about an hour after getting back. The only pain I had was gas pain. Not horrible, just hard to get comfortable. I was in no other pain and actually told them to stop the pain meds. For me, less is better with medication of any kind. My choice. I was walking around within 30 minutes after surgery and because of my high BP I was told to RELAX. lol I am just over a week Post Op, lost a total of 35 lbs and I feel amazing. I felt amazing the following day too. I had surgery on a Wed, xray to check for leaks on Thursday, drain out on Friday, IV out on Saturday and went to the hotel. My stay was longer due to the planning of getting the DS. No biggie, my husband and I used the Marriotts taxi service and went exploring Tijuana on Sunday. So much fun!

This was the best decision I could have ever made and I look forward to seeing Dr. Garcia and his staff again! The best care I ever had at any hospital by far! :)

If you have questions or want to stay in touch, feel free to add me on Facebook. Having new friends who have had the surgery or will be is key to success. We can keep each other strong and motivated to do right!

TKCAN
on 3/21/15 1:34 am

Thank you for the info, congrats, and good luck to you!

Jennifer E.
on 3/23/15 9:03 am

Thank you so much!! :) 

amheather76
on 3/21/15 4:01 am - Fort Worth, TX

I am so glad to hear your trip and surgery is a success.. I have been checking back to see how it went so I'm glad you posted!  I am still considering surgery this summer.  It is helpful to hear from people who have been through it and had the courage to go. 

Thanks for sharing with all of us!!

Jennifer E.
on 3/23/15 9:05 am

Start that count down, its totally worth it!! Hehe :) 

CuriousFatty
on 3/22/15 5:52 am

I have so many questions for you! Do they allow a companion to stay in the room at the hospital. Do they set up a hotel for you? Will my CPAP machine work in their electrical outlets. Do you have to pay separately for food in the hospital? How do you get from the hospital to the hotel after surgery? How do you get back to San Diego from the hotel? I would really like some info and Im amazed how difficult it is to find answers to simple questions....  Thank you in advance..

Jennifer E.
on 3/22/15 6:17 am

Hello! Yes they do allow one companion to stay with you in the hospital. My husband had a very comfortable futon, blankets, pillows and a TV. They set up and organized EVERYTHING! The only thing you need to book are the airplane tickets. Their outlets are just like ours and the outlets are next to the bed in both the hospital and hotel :) As the patient all your food is free at the hospital and hotel. Your companion will have to buy their own food. Lots of restaurants around the hospital and room service and restaurant at the hotel. You will have a driver for everything. Fro. The airport to hotel to the hotel to hospital. It is all planned out. They will also take you back to the airport thru the boarder. If you want, add me to fb. I posted pics of the hospital, hotel, tijuana... ;) 

Kathy7631
on 4/12/15 8:32 pm - Vero Beach, FL

The company you are going thru should be able to answer any & all questions. I used Ready4achange.

KerMer
on 3/23/15 8:45 am
VSG on 06/16/15

Thank you so much for sharing! I am going to the same facility/doctor in June and I am super nervous and excited. I have sent you a friend request of Facebook and would love to keep in touch. 

Jennifer E.
on 3/23/15 9:03 am

He is amazing! I can't wait to go back in a year for the switch part. :) we will keep in touch!! Sleevers!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 252 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 442 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views