What you need to learn and know about head hunger...ITS REAL!

Jennifer E.
on 3/24/15 9:07 am, edited 3/25/15 11:07 am

Just about everyone reading this has gone to Mexico for surgery or is thinking about it. One negative about booking a surgery like is and paying yourself is skipping the pre-op appointments. It's also a positive too. lol We don't get to meet with a nutritionist or counselor required by the surgeon or insurance. No one told me about head hunger, portions, chewing, not drinking when eating. Yes, Dr. Garcia's office was amazing and you get sent home with a lot of information, what vitamins to take but we are missing that counseling and nutritionist. 

I thought I would share my experience with HEAD HUNGER. What is it? It's when you want food but you aren't actually hungry. We are addicted to food. We love it, crave it and dream of it. It's our addiction. Unfortunately we can't just walk away from it. We still need it, every day. Right after surgery when my stomach was still VERY swollen, a few sips on water or broth filled me up. About a week after (5 days or so...) I was missing REAL FOOD. I added in protein shakes (I recommend muscle milk light, premier protein and just to have around natural coconu****er) This was good for a few days but the head hunger started again and strong. I gave in and had some very soft 'dirty rice'. It took me a few hours but I ate it. I felt like crap. I was scared I ruined my new stomach, I felt guilty. And for what? Eating some soft rice? It's how I ate it.... Every day I have to decide, am I hungry or is it head hunger. My stomach wasn't ruined but slowing eating food for 2 hours while watching TV is not an option anymore! That's what got me fat and I am not repeating these horrible habits. Did I listen to my stomach when I had enough? Nope. I just waiting a little bit and took another bit. Wrong. Eat, get full and then take your plate away and be done!

A week after surgery and lasting for a few weeks you could feel hunger pains. I am told this will go away for good. I assumed I wouldn't have these actual hunger pains so when I felt them I quickly did research and realized it's normal. I'm dealing with my head hunger pretty well. I only eat one real meal a day right now and that's dinner. Breakfast is a protein shake, lunch is a yogurt or a few bites of cottage cheese. I drink water or coconu****er throughout the day and dinner is a VERY SMALL portion of over cooked veggies and protein (some kind of meat****ep it simple. Right now, that is working for me. Once I am full I stop eating for the night. I will sip on water 30 minutes after eating and I really try to hydrate at night. Sips every 10-15 minutes. Only water at night. No need for empty calories.

I am meeting so many wonderful people thru here and I am so happy for the support (it's both ways!). I post about my journey a lot on my facebook, if you want to keep in touch or have questions and want to chat, add me! Jennifer Ihrer Whitlow :)

KeishaLeigh
on 3/24/15 3:07 pm - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

I agree completely.  I am 4 weeks out today. By far the head hunger has been the worst thing about the whole journey for me so far. I am not hungry, but I make myself have something 3 times a day. However,  my mind keeps telling me all the things that would be so good to try. I couldn't tell you how many dishes I told myself would taste good over the last couple weeks lol. I haven't ate anything off plan but it does take a lot of willpower.

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

Jennifer E.
on 3/24/15 9:10 pm

Willpower, yes!! I had no idea how hard it would be BUT stepping on the scale and seeing the numbers go down and my wedding ring getting loose. That is keeping me on track!!! So worth it!!

Sandra F.
on 3/24/15 11:44 pm

I agree that having surgery with Dr. Garcia has lacked the after-care support that having surgery in the states would have, but I wouldn't change anything.  The support that I receive on here is awesome and I have been thinking about hiring a NUT here to help me.  And yes, head hunger is absolutely real.

Jennifer E.
on 3/25/15 12:10 am

I agree. This forum is my Go To for help and advice also.  I wouldn't change the surgery. Just wish i had prepared more :) 

hollykim
on 3/25/15 7:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 24, 2015 at 4:07 PM Pacific Time, Jennifer E. wrote:

Just about everyone reading this has gone to Mexico for surgery or is thinking about it. One negative about booking a surgery like is and paying yourself is skipping the pre-op appointments. It's also a positive too. lol We don't get to meet with a nutritionist or counselor required by the surgeon or insurance. No one told me about head hunger, portions, chewing, not drinking when eating. Yes, Dr. Garcia's office was amazing and you get sent home with a lot of information, what vitamins to take but we are missing that counseling and nutritionist. 

I thought I would share my experience with HEAD HUNGER. What is it? It's when you want food but you aren't actually hungry. We are addicted to food. We love it, crave it and dream of it. It's our addiction. Unfortunately we can't just walk away from it. We still need it, every day. Right after surgery when my stomach was still VERY swollen, a few sips on water or broth filled me up. About a week after (5 days or so...) I was missing REAL FOOD. I added in protein shakes (I recommend muscle milk light, premier protein and just to have around natural coconu****er) This was good for a few days but the head hunger started again and strong. I gave in and had some very soft 'dirty rice'. It took me a few hours but I ate it. I felt like crap. I was scared I ruined my new stomach, I felt guilty. And for what? Eating some soft rice? It's how I ate it.... Every day I have to decide, am I hungry or is it head hunger. My stomach wasn't ruined but slowing eating food for 2 hours while watching TV is not an option anymore! That's what got me fat and I am not repeating these horrible habits. Did I listen to my stomach when I had enough? Nope. I just waiting a little bit and took another bit. Wrong. Eat, get full and then take your plate away and be done!

A week after surgery and lasting for a few weeks you WILL feel hunger pains. I am told this will go away for good. I assumed I wouldn't have these actual hunger pains so when I felt them I quickly did research and realized it's normal. I'm dealing with my head hunger pretty well. I only eat one real meal a day right now and that's dinner. Breakfast is a protein shake, lunch is a yogurt or a few bites of cottage cheese. I drink water or coconu****er throughout the day and dinner is a VERY SMALL portion of over cooked veggies and protein (some kind of meat****ep it simple. Right now, that is working for me. Once I am full I stop eating for the night. I will sip on water 30 minutes after eating and I really try to hydrate at night. Sips every 10-15 minutes. Only water at night. No need for empty calories.

I am meeting so many wonderful people thru here and I am so happy for the support (it's both ways!). I post about my journey a lot on my facebook, if you want to keep in touch or have questions and want to chat, add me! Jennifer Ihrer Whitlow :)

great post and mostly true. I wanted to remind you that you can't say everyone WILL have hunger cause it isn't true. I didn't and can count on one hand the times I have actually been hungry in the 5 years since surgery and I think that was actually needing to. Drink fluids.

Jennifer E.
on 3/25/15 7:52 am
hollykim
on 3/25/15 9:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 25, 2015 at 2:52 PM Pacific Time, Jennifer E. wrote:

Thank you. Your comment comes across aggressive so let me respond.. I CAN say whatever I want because this is a public forum but yes, it may not be a true statement to everyone. You stated you never felt hunger but you can also count the times you have been Hungry. So my statement may still hold true ;) lol Again, my post is opinion based and meant to be helpful. I am just sharing my experience and what I have learned after surgery and what I have researched. Best of luck!! :) 

didn't you even read my post? I stated that the hungeri felt was most likely dehydration,not needing food. 

Certainly you CAN,as in ALLOWED,to say whatever you want on a public forum. 

Trying to speak for everyone in the world who has had,or will have a VSG makes you sound foolish. The word "will" is a definitive term it means that everyone will always no matter what be just exactly like that. 

I don't really think you CAN,with that degree of authority,say that,can you?

SLeevecity
on 4/14/15 11:43 am

I have read that head hunger can also be caused by excess gastric acid in the early post of stages.

some people have to increase their anti acid /PPI.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 194 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 399 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1022 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1581 views