Should I bring a companion??

MandysueMS
on 4/28/15 1:17 am - Amory, MS

I have a date set for 7/16/15 for a vsg to DS with Dr. Ungson. My husband will have to stay home with our toddler, and my mother doesn't feel comfortable going to Mexico (you should have heard her fussing at me!)

So it sounds like I will have to go by myself. I'm not worried about the trip there or the hospital stay, I'm more worried about the trip back. I'll be flying back to Mississippi from San Diego, and I wonder how I'll feel, and if I'll be up to rolling my small suitcase around, and if I'll be on pain meds, etc...

Can some of you tell me your experiences going alone, or what you recommend?  Thanks!

KeishaLeigh
on 4/28/15 10:03 am, edited 4/28/15 10:03 am - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

I had surgery in February. I did have a companion but I think I would have been ok by myself. I would definitely pack light if you go by yourself. The only thing that would have been tough is lifting the suitcase ( I pulled it behind me with no problem). I did take my pain meds for a few days after surgery. I wasn't in bad pain but I did not want it to start either. After a couple days a Tylenol every so often was sufficient. 

Good luck!

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

MandysueMS
on 4/28/15 10:22 am - Amory, MS

Oh good that makes me feel better then. Thank you!

Sandra F.
on 4/28/15 11:05 pm

I was just so weak and tired on my trip home from San Diego.  I live in Virginia so it was a long trip.  I did have a companion and the doctor prohibited lifting anything above 10 lbs, so I echo the previous poster, pack light.

MandysueMS
on 4/28/15 11:28 pm - Amory, MS

Ok can y'all basically tell me what you packed? How many changes of clothes, toiletries, etc...? Did you have to buy anything once you got there?

KeishaLeigh
on 4/29/15 12:00 pm - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

I over packed of course. What I actually wore is a lot less. Lol. I was in the hospital for two nights. During that time I had a pair of pj's that I wore to walk the hallways and a pair of slip on shoes. Then I wore an outfit home of course. I would recommend taking a soft sports bra. I had one incision right on my bra line and underwire may have bothered it. I could not shower until the second evening. So just small travel toiletries was all I needed. Of course any meds that you are on. 

I did take my eReader with me thinking I would be bored in the hospital. But between naps, walking the halls, and talking with the other 2 ladies that had surgery I never took it out of my suitcase.

Once I got to Texas there was a Walmart near the hotel.  I bought some SF jello and water for my protein shake. I knew I had to have something that evening before surgery. And I had just a little left for after surgery. I knew i would be sitting at the airport for a little while and would need something.

I hope this helps.

Keisha 

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

Sandra F.
on 5/3/15 10:54 pm

I would add chicken granules to the list.  I had a whole day of traveling back to Virginia and it is next to impossible to find broth in the airport and you can't have liquids in your carry on, so my coordinator had suggested chicken granules (find them close to the chicken boullion in any grocery store) and you just add this to water.  It was a life saver on my trip home.  Also, I know a lot of people have issues with gas, so Gas-X is probably a good idea.  The strips.

MandysueMS
on 5/4/15 3:36 am, edited 5/4/15 3:36 am - Amory, MS

So did you guys stay at the Hotel Lucerna? If so, does the standard room come with a microwave and refrigerator? It's possible I will be staying a night there by myself when I am discharged, and not really sure how to prepare for that. 

Sandra F.
on 5/4/15 4:47 am

No, I stayed at the Hotel Pueblo Amigo.  Nor sure about any of the other hotels.  I had requested the Marriott but my coordinator was not that good and put me in the Pueblo Amigo instead.  It wasn't bad though. 

Martinidale
on 5/4/15 5:42 am

I had surgery 9 weeks ago in Mexico.  I went by myself.

Here's my tips:

I was perfectly fine at all times - they made me feel very at home.

Surgery was a breeze.. no pain and woke up with no effects.

I felt stronger being by myself because I knew I had to be.

Gave me time to reflect on why I was there and how I was going to do this myself.  (Symbolic in a way).

If you dont speak spanish (I did not) take along an electronic translater of some sort. (not essential but would help).

DO  NOT take too much luggage.   I took a small carry-on.  Slip on shoes and a light sweater.

You do not need much.  No fashion Police there.

You will have to carry your bag in the airport after surgery - travel light.   

Bring one package of protein (bariatric soup).  My flight was delayed twice.  I needed protein.  Having the soup made it easy to ask for ho****er and I could have a small meal.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 225 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 426 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1053 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1612 views