Canadians, have any problems with your Family Doctor?

IFeelADraft
on 6/18/15 3:34 am - Canada

Have any Canadians here been dropped  by their family doctors for having bariatric surgery in Mexico? Or did you all consult your doctor's first? Or...?

I love my doctor, but saw a post where someone (in the US) had a doctor drop them for having surgery in Mexico (planning on a VSG) and would hate for that to happen.

Christine

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.  ~Pam Brown

Mary C.
on 6/19/15 1:12 am, edited 6/19/15 1:13 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi there - we live in NL. My husband had a VSG with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta in May of 2013. He has done wonderfully. Our family doctor was on board from the beginning - and continues to be our family doctor. I had an RNY in New Brunswick in 2008. Again - she was on board with me. I think in Canada the most a family doctor would really have to do for you is help you out as far as follow up lab work etc. Any complications - you would be sent to a surgeon anyway. And - thankfully here in Canada - we have universal health care. Good luck to you!

Mary

PS - Even with that said - I would certainly discuss your plans with your family doctor. You will still need to have a family doctor post op - and want to ensure that is the case!

IFeelADraft
on 6/19/15 1:19 am, edited 6/19/15 1:21 am - Canada

Thank you so much.

My sister called me last night (she is actually my half sister, and we didn't really connect until about 2 years ago when we lost our dad, so her calling for a chat isn't a normal "sisterly thing"). She and I had a wonderful conversation about the surgery, recovery and new lifestyle (she was very assuring, which was nice). I asked her if she had any issues with her doctor about having surgery in Mexico, and she told me that, like  yours, her doctor was completely supportive about the procedure.

I do love our universal healthcare!

Thank you!

Edit to add: My sister had GVS in Mexico a year ago.

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.  ~Pam Brown

janesmith27
on 6/28/15 9:15 am

I just inquired about this myself and in Canada legally your doctor cannot deny you treatment if need be, even if you had surgery in Mexico.  The US is a different story...

SoHappywithmysleeve
on 8/8/15 8:37 am - Red Deer, Canada
with

My family Dr. questioned my choice of going to Mexico....I had answers to all his concerns...I did my research prior for 2 years.  My Dr., Dr. Alejandro Lopez with ALO BARIATRICS was great.  If I have a question, I am able to contact him and get an answer.  He does call me back...or sends me messages.  My Dr. here is just amazed by how he communicates with us once we come home.  I have had a few people in my area who have had Drs who were not supportive at all...I was upfront with him and he even signed a letter saying that surgery was required.  In Alberta, you can send invoices in and provincial health care covers some of it...Any questions ...please contact me...Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 253 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 443 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views