Hospital Facilities in Tijuana: Please Give Reviews

I_am_so_over_this
on 7/24/15 3:49 pm

I've been reading about the doctors in Tijuana. There are so many good ones, that I feel confident that whom ever I choose will be great. My question is about the hospital facility. The nurses and staff are the people who will do the majority of my care, so I want to make sure I am in a good facility. Where did you have your procedure and what was your experience? Thanks!!

Virginia M.
on 8/11/15 10:05 pm - San Ysidro, CA

It is important that whomever is planning to have surgery in Mexico, verifies the medical facilities are certified for bariatrics, as well as the surgeon, who should also be board-certified in bariatrics. It is not the same thing being a certified general surgery doctor, than a board-certified surgeon in bariatrics.

When a surgeon is board-certified in bariatrics, the facilities from which such surgeon practices, it is also certified. To verify the facilities and the surgeons, there is an official link by the Mexican Council for Obesity Surgery and Metabolic Diseases, to which anyone can go to verify such credentials.

Mexican Council for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Diseases

The list of board-certified surgeons and facilities is often updated. IF YOUR SURGEON/MEDICAL FACILITY IS NOT ON THAT LIST, then you are not going to a board-certified surgeon, but to someone who is only claiming to be board-certified. Same applies for the medical facilities. Bottom line is: beware of pseudo-surgeons wanting to make fast and easy money out of unsuspected people.

There is another list featuring the surgeons who are IN THE PROCESS of being BOARD-CERTIFIED IN BARIATRICS. Being on this other list DOES NOT mean the surgeon applying will be approved and certified in bariatrics. It only means the surgeon started the process, which may take months or even years to pass. If a surgeon's name is not moved from this list to the LIST OF BOARD-CERTIFIED SURGEONS, means one or several things, among which the most important are: (1) the surgeon has not approve all the tests; (2) the medical facilities have not complied with all the regulations and standards for safety, sanitation and patient care (this part is strictly supervised by the Mexican Federal Government's General Health Ministry).

Mexican Council for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Diseases-Certifications in Process

The committee which supervises the Certification and Accreditation Programs headed by four of the top bariatric (weight loss) surgeons in the country (Mexico):

• Dr. Noé Nuñez. / Coordinator
  • Dr. Juan Antonio López Corvala.
  • Dr. Fernando Cerón Rodriguez.
  • Dr. Pablo Zorrilla.
SLeevecity
on 9/1/15 6:09 pm

Hospital Angeles is the premier hospital in Tijuana. It is chosen by the US Consulate.

It is a full service modern facility with a blood bank, 24/7 ER and an active ICU. The have MRI, CT scan, interventional cardiologists and was an excellent experience. I had surgery in May with Dr. Juan Lopez Corvala. Many of the Mexican bariatric surgeons trained at the Hosp Angeles Bariatric Fellowship under his direction.

No regrets and reminded me of a modern medium sized US hospital.

Suzannne
on 9/15/15 8:11 am

My sister, my daughter, and myself, all had our surgery at the hospital Cer. It was very nice. Nursing staff was excellent and good infection control was practiced. I am a nurse and had no misgivings about the facility or staff. 

Suzanne

Honeybeeblue
on 11/23/15 9:12 am

Hey Suzanne.  

I am thinking of having plastic surgery at CER hospital. Any information on the process would be great appreciated. Feel free to contact through private message through here and maybe you can give some more info if you feel comfortable. Thanks 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 253 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 443 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views