Post op Pain meds in Mexico and time off work

ImShellNurse
on 5/25/16 6:27 am

Hey guys,

This may sound like a really stupid question, especially coming from a nurse, but after getting your surgery in Mexico, what kind of pain meds did they give you post op?? and did they send you home with a prescription? If so, how did you get it filled?? and what was the prescription for? I am going to be returning to work less than 2 weeks post op and have the feeling I'm going to need some pain meds along the way...

hollykim
on 5/25/16 12:53 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 25, 2016 at 1:27 PM Pacific Time, ImShellNurse wrote:

Hey guys,

This may sound like a really stupid question, especially coming from a nurse, but after getting your surgery in Mexico, what kind of pain meds did they give you post op?? and did they send you home with a prescription? If so, how did you get it filled?? and what was the prescription for? I am going to be returning to work less than 2 weeks post op and have the feeling I'm going to need some pain meds along the way...

all they can legally gove you after you leave the hospital is prescription strength NSAIDS.  They worked fine for me. They will give you the medication on discharge, no RX

Sandra F.
on 5/26/16 5:54 am

I was given the actual medication (not a prescription), but it was in spanish and something I had not heard of before.  I only needed it once after I left the hospital because I never had too much pain but it was sufficient when I did.  If you have surgery in Mexico, I would suggest you line up a doctor near your home to follow up with you after surgery.  That way, if you happen to need a prescription, you can get it.

fruitsnaks
on 5/26/16 2:51 pm
On May 25, 2016 at 1:27 PM Pacific Time, ImShellNurse wrote:

Hey guys,

I was given ketrolaco and I had a prescription but the the staff got it for me before going to the U.S. You can always go to you doctor in the U.S. and tell him you are in some pain and ask if he can give something for you. You were not given nothing for pain before going to the states?

Mary C.
on 5/31/16 8:07 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi.

I am an ER RN. Very physical fast paced job. I had an RNY in April 2008. I'm not

sure what area you work in.

I felt physically that I was ready to go back to work after a month or so - but my

surgeon, Dr. Beausoliel, in Moncton New Brunswick, Canada, insisted on 6 weeks.

due to the type of work I do. In retrospect, it was a good thing because it helped

me

be that much more sure of what foods worked for me - especially when it came to

packing a lunch bag for a 12 hr shift. My husband had a VSG with Dr. Joya in

Puerto Vallarta 3 years ago Everything was top notch and amazing. My husband is

a welder and was told to take 6 weeks of work after his surgery. He was given a

presciption for Toradol in Mexico which we filled before we left. Just the same -

hubby had very little pain. My surgeon in Moncton gave me a prescription for

Dilaudid. Pretty potent stuff. I used very few of them as I felt extra strenth tylenol

or toradol worked fine.

Good luck to you!

Mary C.
on 5/31/16 8:08 am - Glovertown, Canada
TD1808
on 8/17/16 5:33 pm
VSG on 01/28/16

I got nsaids and an antacid. I didn't need any pain meds after the surgery, believe it or not. I had surgery on Thurs and I was back at work by Monday. Piece of cake. My surgeon was very good. Just make sure you walk after the surgery immediately.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 228 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 427 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1054 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1614 views