Finding a PCP

Cgarci50
on 6/17/16 5:40 am

Good morning,

My name is Cynthia and I'm 24!

My insurance denied to cover VSG because my BMI is 34.5 and I don't have a comorbidity. However, I have a family history of High Blood Pressure, Diabetes and, High Cholesterol. So it's not a matter of "IF" it's a matter of "when." I've tried loosing weight on my own (Low-Carb, Weigh****chers, Herbalife, Phen, Personal Trainer etc)  and my highest weight was 289 but I've been stuck at 220 for almost 3 years! 

Since I was denied coverage by my insurance then my next option was going to Mexico, I have relatives and friends that have done this procedure in Mexico so I'm doing my research to find a doctor that fits my needs. 

My question is how do I find a PCP that will be willing to help me with Post-op follow ups? My current PCP has already said no. Does anyone have any recommendations in the Chicagoland area?

Thank you!

galaxygrrl
on 6/17/16 6:08 pm

I'm so sorry you PCP gave you a hard time mine did too. . I don't have a Dr for you (sorry), but I went through the same thing in San Francisco and I was bummed and freaked.  I posted on this forum and some others and did not get a response.  I did get a response in a FB group, but the Drs name was not posted, just the clinic. 

But, the way I actually solved it was by going to one of the local Weight loss Drs group.  And there was a Dr there who has the surgery.  I tracked her down and then, I went to see her and asked. 

I think the other way to solve this issue is to pick a Dr. in Mexico and ask for local references.   And then, ask those people who they used. 

I know this is not a simple answer and I'm sorry.  I would post on all the forums out there and every FB group you can find.   

I really wish I could help more, because honestly, this was to me the hardest part of the process and I felt alone and lost.  You are not alone.  

Good luck! 

Cgarci50
on 6/18/16 4:07 am

This is a great start! Thank you very much for the insight and it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one that has this problem!

Thank you!!!

fruitsnaks
on 6/20/16 12:45 pm

Have you tried to ask you family that has already had surgery what they did for their pcp?

I really do not know what you can do but if you have a emergency the hospital has to accept you anyways.

A hospital can not say no to a patient that has a emergency. Hope this can help good luck

TD1808
on 8/17/16 5:30 pm
VSG on 01/28/16

For VSG, you don't really need any followup care. You can explain to your doc that you had surgery in mexico and you want him to check the incisions. That's about it. That's what I did. I made sure I had insurance so I could go to a hospital just in case there were any serious issues - which a normal GP couldn't handle anyway. Under Obamacare every hospital has to take your insurance. 

Hope that helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 228 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 427 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1054 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1614 views