Verifying Surgeons for Revision (Mexico)

BelleKreyol
on 6/23/16 7:54 am, edited 6/23/16 9:04 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Good morning everyone, 

I am an WLS vet.  I had Lap-Band surgery back in 2008.  I lost a significant amount of weight and was very successful, for a total of 83lbs, from my highest of 230 to 147lbs. I just had a baby (15 months), and my band slipped with moderate dilatation. I need to have my band removed. I am thinking of doing a gastric sleeve since restriction seems to work well for me. I am up to 194lbs, and am doing my best to not climb any higher, but know that can be difficult. 

I am writing to see if any of you have used Medical Tourism Corporation?  I am looking at either Tijuana or Cancun.  They are recommending Dr.Francisco Gonzalez at the Florence Hospital or Dr. Hector Perez Corzo at Victoria Hospital.  

I am looking for a combination of a great surgeon with experience doing lap-band revisions and reasonable costs.  I am looking to spend an estimated $5k on the surgery.  Travel costs will be separate.  I also want to be in the hospital and not a clinic.

I'd love to hear if you've had specific experience with this company and if you have someone else you'd recommend.

Thanks!

Belle

br2364
on 6/26/16 9:26 pm
RNY on 06/29/16

I do not know anything about revisions. But I would imagine that since you had the lap band that a revision wouldn't be as scary as revising from a sleeve to a switch or rny. So I would imagine nearly anyone that has experience doing sleeves and lap bands would be great. I am going to Dr. Fernando Garcia at Hospital Cer. He does all surgeries. I am going for the RNY. But I really think anyone that has exceptional experience in sleeves would be a good fit.

BelleKreyol
on 6/27/16 3:21 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Thanks so much for your reply.  This helps!

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/16 4:24 pm

Hey, im searching for tijuana too! The lowest price i've seen so far is with Dr. Maytorena, 2999 dlls for gastric sleeve surgery. Im still doing my research about him and his team.. Just sharing you the info, ill let you know if i found something better.

vcrezee
on 8/7/16 5:41 pm - Roy, UT

Hi!  I'm about to have my second surgery (revision) in Mexico and loved my experience there.  It was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper..however..because you are a revision there are generally additional fees because you require more imaging so they can get in there and see exactly what the heck is going on.  The sleeve surgery generally costs about $5k (not including airfare) but again, you will have an extra revision fee because it is a more complicated surgery. A lot of companies have "package" fees that include everything (including hotel and meals) except airfare to and from San Diego.  

Please avoid companies that have you recovery in a "guest condo" or "guest house".  You will want privacy and convenience of a nice hotel.  Most companies put you in the Tijuana Marriott that is located closely to most of the hospitals that are used and it is wonderful! The hospital that I was at originally, Mi Hospital, was not bad at all.  Actually a lot nicer than most hospitals in the US that I've been to.  Only problem is that a lot of the nurses had very limited English...but I never had a hard time getting my needs across and they were so so sweet.  I'm having this revision done at VIDA hospital which looks amaaaaazing.  

As far as the Medical Tourism Company, I have never used them nor talked to anyone that has.  Most people have used A Lighter Me.  I used Ready4achange with my original surgery but had a really bad experience with them this go around and have chosen to go with Dr. Alejandro Lopez through ALOBariatrics. He is one of the go to surgeons for revisions.  

Good luck :)

2013 Gastric Bypass RNY by Dr. Gomez 

OW: 430 LW: 290 CW: 320 GW: 180

2016 Scheduled revision from RNY to DS by Dr. Alejandro Lopez 

Married, momma, MLS student, and Harry Potter nut! PCOS and RA warrior! 

Contact me about any questions or suggestions for having surgery in Mexico! 

BelleKreyol
on 12/7/16 2:23 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

It's been a few months since I've posted. I was in research mode, thinking about all my options. Should I do a revision, could I repair the slip, should I do the surgery home, or Mexico, how will I pay for it? It took me a few months to figure it all out. I ended opting to have surgery in Mexico. This isn't my first time travelling internationally for medical care, so the travel part is not my biggest concern. I am more worried about after care and wether or not all will go well. I suppose I would be equally nervous no matter where I opt to have it. So, after considering several things, I opted for Cancun over Tijauna. Coming from the east coast it made financial sense to go to Cancun. Plus I wanted a hospital with an ICU in case of an emergency, and not a clinic. So...lap-band revision to gastric sleeve it is. I also am having my gallbladder removed since I've been having issues with it. I will have surgery with Dr. Verboonen in Jan 2017. Deposit is paid, tickets purchased, hotel booked. My husband will be accompanying me.

The anxiety is killing me. I am nervous, scared, and everything in between. I know I have to remove my band, so no way around it. I will stay positive and pray that all goes well. It's all normal to feel this way, but I feel wors****ching that scale climb to where I once was. That scares me more to be honest.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 229 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 427 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1056 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1615 views