I'm isolating myself...

Sonya Galindo
on 11/5/04 1:48 pm - Orange, CA
I'm having my surgery in 13 days and I feel like I am starting to get really nervous and I feel like I don't want to leave me kids - then I think what if I am going to die - what if I never make it back home, etc..... I feel like even my closest friends have no idea what I am feeling - I feel like I am alone in this and I feel like I dont want to talk about it anymore because some people dont really care for WLS - I feel like I am beginning to isolate myself and not wanting to talk about my feelings with others - I dont feel like I have many people on my side - my mom got her WLS two weeks ago and she's having a hard time sticking to what the doctor says to eat - I dont want to do that............... can I be stronger than that? I'm having my surgery in Mexico and I feel like I will get depressed while I am gone - I have a friend going with me but I just feel like I'm going to get depressed and I won't see my babies for 10 days - I won't be with them on Thanksgiving - my special and favorite holiday...... whose turkey are they going to eat - also I use to have problems with throwing up and laxatives, etc and I feel scared like what if I get all mentally tripped out over this and not even eat enough......... I DONT KNOW IF I AM MAKING SENCE - IS THIS NORMAL...............
krilar
on 11/5/04 2:59 pm - Florence, OR
Sonya, I am having the same feelings myself. I am having surgery on Dec. 2nd with Dr. Aguirre. I have been very confident and not nervous at all until I was away on a business trip the last two days and I really started to think about my husband and son and what it would be like for them if I died. I think about my son's little face and how sad he would be without his mommy. I am sure what we are feeling is normal. I would like to hear from others that have small children and have already had the surgery in Mexico. How did they feel before surgery and what did they do to help relieve some of the stress and anxiety? I know we are doing the right thing by having this surgery. I know I do not want to live the rest of my life being obese. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Kristy
Razzle D.
on 11/5/04 4:07 pm - somewhere, TX
Sonya, I am feeling the same way, after reading your post and Kristy's I was in tears, I don't want to leave my litte 15mo angel without a mommy. I am freaking out, I am scared, nervous, and I want to take Jules with me. My surgery is like 32 days away and I just want it to be over and me on my way back! I have no doubt in Dr A, I just wish I could bring him to Austin Tx to do my surgery. I am not going alone, my mom and aunt are traveling with me but still I am heart broken already about leaving my baby.Okay I am rambling. I will say a prayer for you, Kristy and I. Take Care April Dr A 12-7-04
beckyvee
on 11/7/04 11:19 am - Cedar Park, TX
April and Others: Please don't be afraid. I had my surgery almost a year ago, the day before Thanksgiving, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself! I wish you all could have gone to the reunion in Las Vegas. Twenty-seven Dr. A. patients were there to celebrate our success and to honor Dr. Aguirre. The combined total loss of all these attendees was over 3000 pounds! Dr. A. was so overwhelmed and choked up. He was so thrilled to see us all healthy and in great spirits. Just think--a year from now you will all be lighter on your feet and full of life as I am now. Please don't be afraid. You are all in good hands. Becky
S. W.
on 11/6/04 12:53 am - MN
Hello all I am having my surgery on the 25th with doctor A. I am nervous but I am also thinking about how great I will feel after a couple of months...I can no longer live a life that is full of complications...I suggest you guys read some of the post ops profiles on how wonderful their lives have been after surgery...don't worry you will be fine... --S.
Danielle H.
on 11/6/04 1:17 am - Everett, WA
WOW! These were great posts for me to read right now, as I am feeling EXACTLY the same way - I leave for my surgery in MX tomorrow morning (early). I'm taking my 3 mos. old with me (nursing), and am being accompanied by two close family members. My hubby will be taking care of our two young sons, but I am very nervous at this point - having the same feelings mentioned about wanting to already be over and on my way back home, etc. I'm also worried about what to expect when I get home - will my body have taken the surgery okay, i.e. general anethesia, shoulder pain, etc. I'm wondering how it will all feel, etc. I guess I'm worried about everything at this point! I'll keep you all posted upon my return, since it sounds like I'm going to do this the soonest. Good Luck to all of you, and keep me in your prayers. Danielle
xJoellex
on 11/9/04 5:24 am - Belcourt, ND
Hey all ~ I'm still in the process of saving up money to have Dr. Aguirre as my surgeon. I wouldn't have picked him if I didn't trust him & if I didn't e-mail most of his patients. Dr. Aguirre will make you as comfortable as he can, I hear he is really good at that. But unlike some of you, I have no kids. But in a way, I know how you feel. I feel the same way about leaving my mom & dad when it's my time to go. I just wanted to let you all know that you are not alone in this and you are all in my prayers. I wish you all a uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!!
DW
on 11/9/04 11:46 am - Galveston, TX
You all have the chosen the best surgeon and have nothing to worry about, you will be well taken care of and have the best possible care. I am 8 months out -91 lbs and this surgery has given me my life back, no longer will you struggle with the nightmare of being overweight and soon you will be enjoying your life. Seeing all the happy and beautiful people at the reunion was overwhelming. Good Luck and remember Dr Aguirre is the best. Dot
Jody W.
on 11/11/04 12:48 am - Noble, OK
Dear Sonya, and especially April who will be in Mexico the same time as me: First of all, your fears are normal, we all feel them, we'd be nuts not to feel them. But let me put a little different perspective on this. I'm coming from the other side of motherhood-I'm 50 and my kids are 21, 18, and 10. When I was trying to make this decision, my two oldest sat me down and told me this: "Mom, we love you, and we appreciate everything you've done for us, but we feel like we've missed part of our growing up because you were heavy. You were always too tired, or your knees hurt too much, or you were too embarrassed to come out to our functions, so you missed a lot of our childhood. We don't want our brother to deal with the same thing....get the surgery so he will have all of you in his life." Most of us aren't having this surgery so we'll look better....it's about quality of life, and not just for us, for our families. IT IS SCARY!! But I keep thinking about how much more I will be able to give my son when I lose this weight, and that keeps me on track. As a nurse, I know that the risk of keeping the weight far outweighs the risk of the surgery. Girls: you may not believe this way, but I believe God will hold us in the palm of His hand, and cause us to succeed. "My plans for you are not for evil, but for a good and prosperous future." Take that to the bank. I'm praying for you. Jody
Sonya Galindo
on 11/11/04 2:43 am - Orange, CA
Thank You so much Jody - that is what I needed to hear this morning... You are so right about how much I dont' do for my children because of my weight - my son is 8 and I have always gotten out of his school activites because of how I felt - I always felt uncomfortable around other school mothers and now I know that that will all change - I have 1 and 2 yeard old daughters and by the time they are in school - I hope to be more involved - I leave 7 days from today to Ensenada and I made arrangements with my son's teacher so I can go on his field trip on Tuesday - he says he'll believe it when he sees it - I figure I might as well do it now because I will be away from him for awhile and that would make him happy besides I won't be heavy for too much longer - thanks Jody for making me see another positive side to my feelings........ God Bless.... Sonya
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 253 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 443 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views