Questions for Recent Dr Acguirre patients from Ensenada

chunkable
on 12/2/04 2:36 am - federal way, wa
Hi guys, Im scheduled to have my surgery on January 26th and am wondering if those recent patients of his could answer some questions for me that have been on my mind. 1. Does he ask you how much you want bypassed? Does he let you have any say in how much whether it be 120cm or 150cm? 2. Does he stitch the top portion of the small intestine that he attaches to the bottom of the stomach to make it a smaller opening? I know the doctors in the states do this so im wondering if he does also.. 3. How long was your surgery? 4. Does he give you a diet guideline to follow and a vitamin regimin for after surgery? 5. Did you take your own food into Ensenada from San Diego or did you just get items there? 6. How soon did you return to work? 7. Were the drains horrible? Thank you everyone. I know quite a few of you have gone down or are there now and a few just recently back. Would love to hear everything. I know Tracy and I will be there at the same time and I think we are both so full of questions so if you can help us.
Molly Mae
on 12/2/04 3:13 am - WA
Hi Cindy! Congrats on your upcoming surgery date. Mine is two weeks from now. Sounds like you have really been doing your research on the procedure. 1. I do not know, am trusting in his surgical expertise. Good to know though! 2. I believe that he does this but am not sure. Hopefully someone can let you know. Latrisha N's profile has some stuff on the actual procedure particuars. 3. Can be found in some of the profiles. 2 1/2 - 3 hours I think though. 4. A simple one but, yes! 5. I am bringing my own Propel, bullion, instant cream of wheat, ect. but will visit the Giante store for water, and fun goodies for my support person. 6. I am a stay-at-home mom to two young toddlers and will have help for two weeks. 7. This differs but is something that I am dreading. You only will leave the hospital with one. It is to be taken out at 7 days out witch will be Christmas Eve for me. I have heard that getting that thing out makes you feel like a new woman. hehe! Good luck! Molly
Tim H.
on 12/2/04 12:35 pm - Masaryktown, Fl
1. Does he ask you how much you want bypassed? Does he let you have any say in how much whether it be 120cm or 150cm? I am recalling that he does about 135. 120-150 is really about the same. The big deal is if they go past 150 or under 100. I am 4 months out and compared to some friends here in the states who have longer and shorter I have the least digestive issues compared to those with the longer and faster wieghtloss than those with the shorter. All the same I am very happy with the bypass. 2. Does he stitch the top portion of the small intestine that he attaches to the bottom of the stomach to make it a smaller opening? I know the doctors in the states do this so im wondering if he does also.. I am not sure if you understand this totally. The new pouch gets a opening cut in it and it will be smaller than the one in your original stomach. 3. How long was your surgery? 3 hours I guess 4. Does he give you a diet guideline to follow and a vitamin regimin for after surgery? Yes. Follow it. once you are out about a month consider yourself very lowcarb and chew chew chew 5. Did you take your own food into Ensenada from San Diego or did you just get items there? We brought some grits for me. There is a store called Gigante there and you can get anything you need there it is a supermarket. you will not need much post op. I like the pan toastada for the first few days. It coalmed my tummy 6. How soon did you return to work? 12 days post op short days 15 days post full time 7. Were the drains horrible? NO. You get used to it quick. the bad part is to see the junk come out of you. Thank you everyone. I know quite a few of you have gone down or are there now and a few just recently back. Would love to hear everything. I know Tracy and I will be there at the same time and I think we are both so full of questions so if you can help us.
sue_f
on 12/2/04 12:38 pm - Portland, OR
Actually, I am in Ensenada right now and just finished talking to Dr. Aguirre. I will answer what I can, but will not have the surgery until tomorrow. 1. He does not ask you about how much to bypass. He said a small amount like that makes no difference. He does about 120 cm give or take a small amount. 2.When he is finished, the opening will be very tiny, only about 1 cm in diameter. He does this on purpose. After time it will stretch a small amount. 3.He said the surgeries usually last about 2 3/4 hrs. 4. He said he will give instructions before I leave the hospital. 5. We came across the border with Bambi and he is happy to stop at Von's (or wherever you want) to buy groceries. But there are stores here too. Sue F.
klnbaker
on 12/3/04 1:50 am - Gresham, OR
Hi Tracy! I had surgery on November 10th. Everyone has pretty much covered your questions, but I did have something to add. I came back to work part-time at 3 weeks post-op. When I get home after working my 4 hours I'm exhausted! My doc here said to expect to be tired for about six weeks. Other than that, I'm not having any other problems. I go back to work full-time on 12-8-04. Hope I stay awake! I do exercise every day and am religious about taking my vitamins and supplements. Also, if you use Bambi for transportation, he will point out restaurants and grocery stores that are in proximity to where you are staying. There is even a restaurant on First Street, the name excapes me, but they have chickens roasting in the window, that makes chicken soup! Enjoy your stay! I believe the warm weather helped me to heal faster....well, it did inspire me to get out and walk after surgery! Kathleen
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 253 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 443 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views