Protein suggestion before you leave....

Dinka Doo
on 1/22/05 2:33 am - Medford, OR
I see so many with upcoming surgeries, I thought I would throw this out there since it helped me so much. I am not sure those with the band have a problem with nausea or have a need to suppliment protein, but I know that those with the RNY would benefit from this. My friend sent me with a liquid protein that was SO easy to get down. I was so thankful for this because my energy level increased IMMEDIATELY after I had my first serving. It is called Protidiet and I like the tropical punch, roadside lemonade and grape. The orange I wasn't so fond of, but it tastes like Orange Kool-Aid so if you like that, you'd like it. The reason this is so good for after-surgery is because it is made from a gelatin protein, so it doesn't have the whey flavor to it. Some can hack the whey protein right after surgery, but many cannot. This was very much like drinking Kool-Aid or Crystal Light. In fact, if you have ever had jello as a hot drink, that's pretty much like this except this is cold and you can put it on ice. You can get it by doing a google search at several locations, but the cheapest I've found online so far is: (add www to the start of this) drwells.info/shopping_cart.htm. I have ordered a case of this through my friend's physical therapist who carries it and do have some tropical punch and lemonade on hand if you get desperate to find some and can't get it. I am not really selling it and don't want to start doing so, but I have some extras if someone needs it. ****ep it on hand to supply my support group locally.) You might be able to find it cheaper through a local doctor if you just check around. Some bariatric surgeons do carry it. When I got out of surgery and was allowed to have clear liquids, my first thing I had was this protein. It was incredible. I was so incredibly weak, but I put two pouches in a 16 bottle of water and instantly felt better. They are 15 grams of protein per pouch, and 70 calories each. Hope that helps some of you out there. This stuff was a life-saver for me. I drank at least 2 a day, but if I were to go again, I would plan to have more like 4 a day. As for the kind of protein, you will find the whey has more complete amino acids and that it is a better choice than the gelatin protein if you are going to do long term suppliments, but if you can't hack the whey, this is better than nothing. I still can't hack the whey proteins, so I eat most of my protein and suppliment with this. Dina
GerrAnn
on 1/22/05 3:16 am - Lake Havasu City/Boise, Id, AZ
Hey Dina I tried your www for protein and got nothing?? Any other suggestions to get to this site? also do you think we can just buy another binder from the doc? GerrAnn
GerrAnn
on 1/22/05 3:29 am - Lake Havasu City/Boise, Id, AZ
Hey Dina Must have had a duh moment because the second time it tried this site for protein I got it..Thanks GerrAnn
Dinka Doo
on 1/22/05 1:30 pm - Medford, OR
Oh good! I am glad it worked for you!!! Dina
TracyW
on 1/22/05 3:30 am - Spring, TX
You have been posting so much information and I just wanted to say "Thanks" you have given us so much info to help make this an easier trip. Tracy
Dinka Doo
on 1/22/05 1:31 pm - Medford, OR
You're welcome Tracy! I hope it does help some of you. Dina
Dinka Doo
on 1/22/05 1:56 pm - Medford, OR
I don't know about the binder for sure. I thought either someone said he didn't sell extras or that they were more expensive to buy down there. I know someone posted a link on an inexpensive place to buy them, but I can't remember who. Maybe you could post a new post asking about where to get extra binders and they will see it. If I find it, I'll let you know.... Dina
Jenny B.
on 1/22/05 9:58 am - Cary, Jamaica
Hi Dina, I'm looking at the nutrition info for the protidiet, and it lists fructose 3rd in the ingredient list, though one serving has only 2 grams of carbs. I haven't looked this in-depth at other protein supplements yet, but it occurred to me that any sugar can cause dumping, right? (or maybe that's not right! ) Anyway, did you ever have a problem with dumping with protein sups? Any why is it that some can't hack the whey proteins? This stuff is really important for me to figure out, as I live in Jamaica and don't have as easy access as those in the states do to finding these products. I'm in the U.S. right now and will leave here to go to Mexco, but then will go right back to Ja. I want to order supplements now but I'm sooooo afraid of ordering the wrong stuff!!!!! Help!!! Jenny Aceves; lap RNY; Feb 5, 2005
Dinka Doo
on 1/22/05 1:28 pm - Medford, OR
Hi Jenny - The reason fructose is the 3rd ingredient is because the main ingredient is protein. Splenda is the main sweetening agent, and the fructose is likely a bulking agent for the Splenda. 2 grams of carbs will not hurt you though. That is the equivalent of a stick of sugar free gum or what you get out of about 3 eggs. This will not make you dump, so you can rest assured on that. Dina
Dinka Doo
on 1/22/05 1:37 pm - Medford, OR
Jenny - I forgot about the whey question! I can't really explain too well why the whey proteins are a problem except to say that the flavor can be too strong to cope with. It's kind of like when you are pregnant or have the stomach flu - some things just don't set well. I can't handle most of the whey proteins except for a couple. One would be that I can drink the Carb Countdown milk and chocolate milk (which is just as good a solution as a protein drink) and I can tolerate the Unjury protein most of the time. As I get farther out (I'm 10 months now) I can tolerate a lot more. Heck, I couldn't eat eggs or tuna for about 6 months! It's just something that most people have to wait to see what is a problem for them. I was just thankful that my friend sent this stuff along with me. I had taken all my Edge protein drinks with me but couldn't stomach it once there. It really saved my bacon, that's for sure!!! Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 252 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 442 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views