Something I just read that is pretty scary

Lipglossletdown
on 7/6/06 6:25 am - Aptos, CA
This is a small section from a book called The Complete Guide To Obesity Surgery "The Mini Gastric Bypass is not the same as the gold standard Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass operation, and very few known surgeons perform the procedure. One surgeon in particular remains an Internet marketing genius, with snake oil salesman qualities, who is unable to swallow his pride or too foolish to see his mistake. The word "mini", commonly referred to as minimal access or laparoscopic surgery has confused many. Do not mistake the Mini Gastric Bypass procedure, which has been condemned because it is a renamed of the "loop" gastric bypass that was abandoned in 1970. 30 years ago the "loop" gastric bypass was found to cause severe stomach irritation. It's this looping of the small intestine that is dangerous. As proven by the orginator of the "loop" Gastric Bypass and others, the "loop" gastric bypass bathes the stomach in bile and pancreatic juices, rather than diverting the digestive juices to enter well away from the stomach as with the RNY. This has repeatedly proven to cause bile reflux, in the form of severe heartburn, esophagitis or inflammation of the esophagus, stomach ulcers and over time possible cancer in the esophagus. Such complications could require surgical reversal in many patients. As a patient considers surgery, it can be overwhelming, but when it comes to the "loop" gastric bypass, the weight loss results are insignificant when weighted against the significant risk. In closing, think for yourself and remember even its originator has condemned the loop bypass procedure. If this procedure is so simple to perform why aren't more surgeons are not performing the Mini Gastric Bypass? Simple, because it is not safe. For more information log on to www.mini-gastricbypass.com"
Karen C.
on 7/29/06 2:45 am - Blue Springs, MO
VSG on 07/18/08 with
It is my understanding that the anastomosis that is performed with the mini bypass is different anatomically than the old "loop" Mason shunt type bypass done 20 years ago; thus resulting in reduced problems with the bile and pancreatic "backwash", if you will. Perhaps this requires further research as to the specifics. Just a thought.
alicemenezes
on 2/12/13 7:31 pm

What is this in loop in MGB we're talking about here? Anyone?

shoutjoy
on 8/1/06 9:59 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi I am six years out with the MGB and am in great shape. With every surgery there are risks and every weight loss surgery patient have different levels of success with every weight loss surgery procedure. The MGB that I have has no loop. I don't know about the one you are talking about. There are several national and a few international clinics who do the MGB. Also the process a person goes through to even qualify is extremely extensive and educational. I would recommend this surgery, but as I said above, there risks with any surgery. Paula
(deactivated member)
on 8/3/06 11:37 am - Thomasville, NC
Hi Paula! I had the MGB over 8 yrs ago....I lost alot of weight but not as much as I had hoped for...I have also regained about 30 lbs....but still life is better...I am trying to lose again but find it hard! I am confused about why you think you dont have a loop? Dr. R's MGB is a loop (also called the Billroth 11).....Al far as I know he strcitly does the loop...Unless you only had the gastroplasty and no bypassed portion? At one time he did that for those under 100 lbs overweight... Also, do any of you have bile relfux? I do ocassionally & an endoscopy in '03 found bile in my stomach...I have been told by some that having bile in the stomach is no problem as long as there is no reflux into the esophagus & told by others that it is dangerous over the longterm to have bile in the stomach... If you do have this problem what do you take to help? I was taking Questran for bile salt diarrhea(which also helps bind the bile in the stomach) but had to stop taking it...I need to find another medicine to help... Take care everyone!
shoutjoy
on 8/3/06 8:16 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi No real problems with bile except when I eat too much sugar then I get a little indigestion and have to sit on the pot more. Have you been checked for ulcers? There is a blood test that shows this possibility. I keep Prevacid on hand if needed, Weight gain is very common in every weight loss surgery arena. Twenty pounds is the average. Alot of the folks who have gained stopped going to support groups and/or develop some old eating habits. I have done alot of research, have taken many classes and attended conferences on the wls journey and realize that this tool we have works if we work the tool correctly. By the way, I have had some weight gain and I will admit that it is my fault. Where are you from?
thomaslail
on 8/3/06 1:18 am - Mooresville, NC
Obviously the author of this ill written book does not research prior to putting to pen the "facts". The MGB, developed by Dr Rutledge, is NOT the old Mason loop, which was abandoned in the 70s. The RNY actually has a much higher connection to the TRANSVERSE stomach pouch and is fraught with complications, including high incident of bile reflux, esophagitis and gastritis. The reason for the creation of this procedure, which elongates the stomach pouch placing the connection much farther away from the esophagus thus reducing the incident of reflux and errosion, is because of the studies and results of bile reflux incident from the RNY. Research, research , research.
(deactivated member)
on 8/3/06 11:54 am - Thomasville, NC
I recently read an article(which was actually different statements taken out of context) that has a doctor saying that Billoth 11 patients lifespan was averaged to be 20-25 yrs after the procedure...I was only 34 when I had my MGB(over 8 yrs ago)...So that was a scarey thing to read....The whole website is mostly presenting the negative aspect of WLS.... Have any of you read this "article" http://gastricbypass.netfirms.com/wlsstats.htm It is titled "Longivity and Lifespan after gastric bypass"...
huskergalWsD
on 9/8/06 8:32 am
just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for posting this very important information for all of us still doing research on GB.Thanks Again;;Wendy
2spinksmomie
on 9/10/06 1:32 pm
Dear Lipglossletdown, I had the MGB with Dr. Hargroder who had been trained by Dr. Rutledge.  Dr. R requires xxx amount of hours and surgery before he will let the Dr. do the procedure on his own.   I know that most RNY dr.s have a week to two weeks training and that is it.   Most Dr. don't want to spend all this time training.. nor do they have the time.  But I am grateful to Dr. R, whom I have never met for giving me my life back with this safe, invasive surgery. I will be 3 years out in October and I am so thankful that I went with the Mini Gastric Bypass.  I almost had the RNY and so very thankful I didn't.  I have not had one complication from my surgery.  No issues with reflux, throwing up.  Thanks for bring this article to our attention.  I think there unfortunately, is a lot of mis informed individuals posting about the MGB.
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 898 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1230 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2048 views