MGB vs gastric sleeve

shar S.
on 3/17/07 8:31 pm - Buffalo Grove, IL
What is the difference between the 2?

Create Your Own Ticker

Mini Gadget
on 5/1/07 9:19 pm - MN
From what I have read the gastric sleeve does not do anything with the intestines. They just make a smaller stomach. But the pouches are bascially the same. After my mini bypass I was told my pouch was the shape of a "magic marker".
             Bridget
Mini Gastric bypass 11/18/03
Revision due to Rejection 05/31/06
dancinjudge
on 5/7/07 10:23 am - Oregon City, OR
I believe that is correct, there is no malabsorption with VGS.
~Kim~ , 202-start/125-goal/124-current
           MGB 11/15/06, Revision to Gastric Sleeve 11/30/07

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/20/07 12:41 am - Jacksonville, FL
The VSG removes 80% or so of your stomach permanently, but leaves the pyloric valve in tact.  Removing the stomach is believed to help reduce the production of the hormone, ghrelin, which causes hunger.  Most surgeons who do it as a stand-alone, shape the new stomach around a 32 French bougie.  The intestines are left in tact and not altered. With the MGB, a long vertical pouch, similar to a sleeve, is created with a staple gun-- but the stomach outside of the pouch is not removed.  The pyloric valve is not left as part of the long tube... an opening is made which is then attached to the bowel that is brought up.  If you were looking at a restrictive only operation (no malabsorption/intestines), then I'd choose the VSG over the Band. (And I've had a Band for 6 years.)  If you're looking at a malabsorptive operation, then you have a couple of options... 1)Do the VSG, and if need be, add the DS component down the road  2) Do the MGB  or 3) the RNY.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

N::: A:::N:::O
on 8/9/07 7:12 am - Yakima, WA
For more VSG info (if you are interested), visit vsgfaq.com. I actually popped over here to find a picture, or diagram, of a MGB. Does anyone know where I can find one?
Original quote by Ms Shell:  
"Hey mama...strap down and let's go..I got your back!!  Let's ride!!!"

Sandy H.
on 12/21/11 3:57 pm, edited 12/21/11 3:57 pm - Mineral Point, MO
I had been wondering the difference myself so I started doin research and found what the other responses were correct but I also researched it on YouTube and found the following videos and found them to be very informative, its not the actual surgery its an animation of what they do in surgery. Hope this helps.

Mini Gastric Bypass:
www.youtube.com/watch

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy:
www.youtube.com/watch

These helped make it more clear to me. Hope thsi helps you.

Sandy in Missouri

alicemenezes
on 2/4/13 9:52 pm

Here's a link. Read up https://sites.google.com/a/clos.net/mini/sleeve-gastrectomy-versus-gastric-bypass-diabetes

Kahlua
on 8/28/07 10:31 am - NJ
Nano, Go to CLOS.com and they have diagrams. If you download the manual, they have diagrams of several of the procedures for comparison. There's also an MGB diagram (clearly taken right from the CLOS website) on Dr G. Alverez' site. I think you know about Dr A and can manage to find his link! HEE-HEE. Kahlua
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 894 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1225 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2041 views