MGB Surgeon in Minnesota??

Frozen_Peach
on 5/7/07 8:21 am
I'm having the hardest time finding a surgeon here that does the MGB - is it that new or what??? Anyone know of a doctor in MN who does this?  Thanks in advance!
dancinjudge
on 5/7/07 10:08 am - Oregon City, OR
I don't believe there are any in MN.  They do it in Michigan. That would be the closest to you.  There is also High Point, NC, Joplin, MO, Florida, and Nevada. 
~Kim~ , 202-start/125-goal/124-current
           MGB 11/15/06, Revision to Gastric Sleeve 11/30/07

Mini Gadget
on 5/16/07 9:33 pm - MN
There are none in Minnesota that do it. The closest to me, and even that was a 4 hour drive one way, was Sioux Falls SD. Dr. Peter O'Brien.  The MGB in not new, in fact been around  long time. Just many places do not do it because of the higher risk or post op complications.
             Bridget
Mini Gastric bypass 11/18/03
Revision due to Rejection 05/31/06
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/07 10:40 am - MN
I had my first week follow up today, and Dr. Dan Baker told me that he did the mini gastric bypass on me last week. The incision is only 3 inches long. There's no barium swallow involved, and the recovery is quicker, plus there's less trauma.  So far I am down 52 pounds, both pre and post op :)
Mini Gadget
on 6/25/07 9:06 pm - MN
He didn't tell you before the surgery?? I shouldn't complain, neither did mine!  What was done during the surgery? Did he just loop the intestines and join them to the pouch, or did he sever them and then join them? There is another surgery out now where the pouch is much like that if the Mini bypass, but nothing is done with the intestines. It is a long narrow pouch rather then a small round one.  They did it through one small open incision? Mine was done lap, through 5 one in*****isions.  Make sure to check your medical records as to how this was recorded. My doctor did not tell me that he was doing the "mini" on me. He even submitted it to my insurance as a laproscopic weight loss surgery, so two years later when I had complications and needed a revision I had to fight a battle with the insurance company because they did not even have it in my records that I had the "mini".
             Bridget
Mini Gastric bypass 11/18/03
Revision due to Rejection 05/31/06
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/07 1:13 am - MN
My doc submitted it as an open r-n-y. I don't think it was the classic MGB because he said it was a less invasive and less incisional way of doing the traditional r-n-y. Plus, this doc doesn't do the lap, only open. Eh, doesn't bother me much. A smaller incision and less recovery time? I am all about that.
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 896 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1226 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2042 views