How long have you had your MGB?

nnnancy
on 5/7/07 7:14 am - Peyton, CO
Hi! New to this board, but have been active on the lap-band board in the past. My doc tells me I am officially a failure with the band, and is recommending a revision to what he calls a "simplified gastric bypass" ~ but between you and me and the fencepost, we all know it's an MGB.... Are you happy with your results? I've just been visiting the "complications" page, which has some very scary stuff, but on the plus side, no mentin of MGB. My surgery is scheduled for May 30th, so I'd really appreciate any info I can receive before then...esp. if it will make me change my mind! Thanks for any help you can provide! Yours, Nancy party animal!      
dancinjudge
on 5/7/07 10:07 am - Oregon City, OR
I had my MGB 11/15/06 and am at goal only 5 1/2 months out.  I only had 77 lbs. to lose, but I'm amazed at the success.  No problems at all. 
~Kim~ , 202-start/125-goal/124-current
           MGB 11/15/06, Revision to Gastric Sleeve 11/30/07

MissSandy
on 5/7/07 1:43 pm - Acworth, GA
My advice---go to the CLOS.net site and read all about Dr. Rutledge's success with band revisions.   Good luck. Sandy MGB 7-22-04 392-175
Mini Gadget
on 5/16/07 9:37 pm - MN

I had it for 6 months before the complications set in. So before I had it fixed I had it for a total of 2 years 6 months.

Bridget
Mini Gastric bypass 11/18/03
Revision due to Rejection 05/31/06
firemanjohn
on 6/3/07 3:29 am - Keno, OR
I dont care if you all get mad but mgb is garbage to little sucess with so many failures.  The wls of the future is VSG.  All the weight loss with little or no side effects.  Take care all.
nnnancy
on 6/3/07 9:22 am - Peyton, CO
John, this is an interesting comment ~ why do you say that? Yours, Nancy in CO
MissSandy
on 6/8/07 8:54 am - Acworth, GA

John, I, too, would like to know what you base this opinion on?  As an MGB'er who has lost over 200 pounds, I have met scores of folks like me who are very happy with their results.  I did a lot of research before choosing the MGB, and I have no regrets nor have I met anyone else who did.

Sandy

radiochickgso
on 6/18/07 3:57 am - Lexington, NC
Technically, from what I have been told by numerous docs and MGB is a VSG with a DS.  The Pouch design of an MGB is a VSG, the MGB give the benefit of malabsorption. Signed a very successful MGBer. 15 months post op no complications and down 117 pounds. Perfect health and perfect labs. Shelly 3-21-06 268 / 151 size 24 to size 8
Shelly
3-21-06
MGB (Mini Gastric Bypass)
Dr Walsh
High Point Regional Hospital
High Point NC
www.regionalbariatics.com
~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/20/07 12:33 am - Jacksonville, FL
John: As somebody who has been considering a VSG for three years now... I can tell you that there arent' the long-term studies out there yet to support what you're saying.  Yes, the work done by the LapSF group (of which your surgeon used to be a member of) is promising.  Baltasar has shown some promising results too.  But the furthest out there in terms of data is three years.  Period.  And that is a very small patient sub-set.   Nobody can tell you what things are going to look like for VSGers further down the road... it may turn out to have the same issues that other restrictive only operations have, we simply don't know.  Some of the people on the VSG boards, like Nan, have actually had a hybrid procedure--with a VSG and a small intestinal bypass (Dr. Heap).  People like Gagner, who originally conceived of the VSG as the first part of a two step DS, still encourage most of their patients to have the DS part to maintain weightloss.  Baltasar has talked about having to revise sleeves at three years due to stretching. Rutledge does have impressive long-term results (going to six years).  The VSG just doesn't have the same studies yet. You really don't do yourself, these patients, or the VSG any good by just bashing other surgeries.  If you want people who may be considering a VSG to think about it, there are better ways than posts like yours. Peace.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

N::: A:::N:::O
on 8/9/07 7:21 am - Yakima, WA
Very well said, Sami. Thank you.
Original quote by Ms Shell:  
"Hey mama...strap down and let's go..I got your back!!  Let's ride!!!"

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 896 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1226 views
Pre-op diet