Scared!

LaurelC
on 5/31/07 11:51 am - Baytown, TX
Hi All, I'm scared and I'm feeling overwhelmed.  I don't know where to start to research doctors, types of surgery, etc.  Can someone point me in the right direction? How did you KNOW which surgery was right for you?  How did you find a doctor? OMG!  I have SO many questions! I have a friend who had gastric bypass on Friday and said she could have gone back to work on Monday and another friend who said she took 6 weeks off work,  How long did each of YOU need for recovery? How much did your surgery cost?  My insurance won't pay for it but my dad will. Do any of you havee any regrets?  If so, what? OK, that's all for now. Cheers, Laurel
Dawn M.
on 5/31/07 1:42 pm - Peterborough, Canada
Hi Laurel... This MGB forum seems a bit quiet so I'm not sure you will get all of the answers you need. I am currently pre-op and am scheduled for my MGB in Bay City, MI on July 13.  I was once where you are, uncertain where to start. I researched the LapBand, and finally decided to get the MGB. Are you considering the MGB or any WLS surgery in general? You may want to check out this website...  www.clos.net. The website itself is a little hard to navigate but it has tons of info on the MGB. There are several different dr's that perform the MGB in the US. I am in Ontario, Canada..so my provincial health care plan will cover the MGB in the US. As for your insurance, I have heard from many people that the first time that they inquire about WLS, their insurance companies say no... BUT sometimes if you pester them enough they may cover it. I believe the cost of the surgery is $17,000.   From all of the people I have spoken to that have had the MGB, not one of them has regreted it one bit. In fact, they refer to their surgery date as their new "birthday" because it has given them so much that they feel they have been reborn!!! To be scared is normal. I am totally scared! I have never had real major surgery before (well, I had my appendix out when I was 5 but I don't even remember that!). I just can't believe I have intentionally scheduled myself for surgery! I am a wuss! I know that if I can get through this, my life will be so much better. I am 5'9" and currently weigh 289lbs.   I hope that I have been a bit of help to you (even though I am only pre-op). If you have any questions, let me know, I might have the answer and can pass it along to you!! ~Dawn~ 
MissSandy
on 6/3/07 2:26 am - Acworth, GA
 Hi, You are doing the right thing--reasearching all your options.  I did, too, even saw a doctor who did the open surgery (YIKES!) and made an appointment at Emory hospital.  Before that came about, though, I happened upon the CLOS website. After researching it, I made my decision. I was scared, too, but after comparing the mortality rate ,surgery time and recovery time, and, very importantly to me, the fact that it is reversible if I made a terrible mistake, I felt I was informed enough to make a choice! I read all these horror stories in OH about the RNY and lapband, and I am so happy I made the choice I did.  I have gone from a high of 392 to between 175-180 since my MGB three years ago.  I have a contact letter that tells my story if you would like me to send it to you.  Basically, you need to go to CLOS.net and read all the advantages the MGB has over the other options.  Good luck, and if I can be of help, let me know. Sandy 
Dawn M.
on 6/3/07 2:38 am - Peterborough, Canada

Hi Sandy... Thanks for the contact letter! (I already got mine from you a week or so ago.) I still need about 5 more contacts. I'm still working on my packet.....I hope to have it done in a week or so. I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as planned. I just booked my hotel a few minutes ago. I thought it was better to have it booked than to find out at the last minute that I can't find anything! ~Dawn~

robinjc
on 7/12/07 11:39 am
Laurel, I can really understand your fears.  I work for a physician who performs Mini Gastric Bypass surgery.  He has done hundreds of these surgeries.  Most of our patients have the surgery one day and go home the same the next.  Back to work or school in 2 or 3.  Go to MGB-surgery.com for more information.   I have really seen lives changed and health problems disappear.   Carla will be more than happy to talk to you as long as you want and answer any questions you have!  We care!
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 885 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1216 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2033 views