What is Mini Gastric Bypass surgery?

nan c
on 6/22/07 12:04 am, edited 6/22/07 12:39 am - Brooklyn, NY

Hi,  In June 2005 I had gastric bypass surgery and lost 130 lbs; I went from 344 to 213. Yesterday I had an appointment with the nuturionist at my Dr's office and she told me about a new procedure that he's doing, called Spiderman procedure - I'm not sure if it's his nicknamce for it or not. Well it's for people who've had gastric bypass surgery and have not lost enough. The opening to the pouch OR leaving the pouch (I can't remember at this point) is made smaller. He's doing this procedure for patient's with pouches that have stretched and are consuming too many calories. Is this a mini gastric bypass? If not please explan. Thanks.  Nan C 

MissSandy
on 6/24/07 12:24 am - Acworth, GA
Nan, I am not familiar with this procedure.  The Mini Gastric Bypass is a procedure developed by Dr. Robert Rutledge who now works out of Las Vegas.  He has two other docs in Michigan and Florida who have been trained by him to perform the procedure.  Go to CLOS. net to learn more about this.  I have lost over 200 pounds and am very happy with my choice. Sandy
robinjc
on 7/12/07 11:27 am
Sandy, not all of these Doctors were trained by Dr. Rutlege.  I personally work for a physician who does the MGB Surgery and trained several doctors himself both in Florida and Las Vegas.  I have literally seen lives  changed and health problems disappear.  But it really seems unfair that Dr. Rutledge and CLOS is the only ones mentioned on this site.  Go to MGB-Surgery.com.  This is a Dr. who truly cares about his patients and will go the extra 10 miles or 100 miles to help someone.
Laussie
on 8/25/07 9:29 am - Winter Haven, FL
The true MGB was developed by Dr. Rutledge.  He has two surgeons trained in the procedure who also perform this surgery, Dr. Peraglie in Florida and Dr. Doroghazi in Michigan.  Other doctors have been trained by Dr. Rutledge or they have observed his procedure but they are not part of the CLOS organization.  There are other surgeries out there called mini gastric bypass which may or may not be the same procedure so please do your research carefully.  CLOS.net lists all the research papers written, give you comparissons between the most popular WLS surgeries and inform you of all the risks so you can make an educated decision when making your choice.  The research facts do not lie.  The CLOS surgeons are available to answer questions anytime and they give you their cell phone numbers. 
Mini Gadget
on 6/25/07 9:10 pm - MN
In a mini bypass they make the pouch long and narrow, and rather then sever the intestines and join them to the pouch, they just loop the intestines and join them.
             Bridget
Mini Gastric bypass 11/18/03
Revision due to Rejection 05/31/06
h_mgb
on 4/12/08 3:09 am - Toronto, Canada

well, i did the mgb and by the way they  are coming to toronto in may, and this is the email i got  in case you want to talk to them  DR. RUTLEDGE COMING TO TORONTO IN MAY FOR INFORMATIONAL SESSION/SUPPORT GROUP MEETING‏

Dr. Rutledge and CLOS staff would like to invite all preops, postops, and anyone interested in attending an Informational Session/Support Group to join us in Toronto. 

Once again, we will be coming to Toronto to both continue to support our postops and meet our preops. Please join us and bring your friends, family, and anyone interested in learning about our program and the Mini-Gastric Bypass. This is an excellent time to stay connected with Dr. Rutledge, CLOS staff, others that have had the MGB, as well as an awesome opportunity for anyone interested in having the MGB to have all their questions answered. This meeting will be a refresher for some and the first opportunity to learn about the procedure for the first time while also exchange information and experiences of other postops that have been through the process and surgery.

Please remember this is for everyone and not just MGB Toronto postops. The more the merrier.

We hope you will take advantage of this time with Dr. Rutledge and CLOS staff for the afternoon. Details as follows:

Dr. Rutledge Coming to Toronto for CLOS MGB Informational Session/Support Group Meeting

Date: Sunday, May 4, 2008

Time: 3:00 - 5:00 PM

Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel

marriott.com

525 Bay Street

Toronto, ON M5G 2L2, Canada

(416) 597-9200

Get directions

Please bring your before and after photos. 

Again, EVERYONE'S welcome. If you have any suggestions we're open to new

ideas. 

Questions, please contact me anytime.

Kim Hazen

CELOS

Centers of Excellence in Laparoscopic Obesity Surgery

[email protected]

989-450-8081 cell

989-671-9813 Kim's Fax

visit our website: www.clos.net 

Sites Available:

Dr. Rutledge in Las Vegas, NV