Post ops....PLEASE HELP!!

Band2RNY
on 1/7/09 5:38 pm
I am a failed Bandster and in the process of looking for a revision.....but can't decide on which one.  I am leaning toward the MGB now and have a lot of questions.

1. Does anyone know a surgeon in the Los Angeles area?
2. I have BCBS, has anyone been successful in having insurance pay for the surgery?
3. ....if not, what are your recommendations for surgery financing?  I'm thinking my low interest rate credit card would probably be cheaper.
4.  What if anything is the downside to this surgery?  I heard there is a concern of bile back wash into the intestine and that causing ulcers.  If that happens, what is the treatment?

Thanks so much.

Preop 267/Post Band 167/ Now 245 Awaiting Approval for Revision 2 RNY

shoutjoy
on 1/7/09 6:47 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi there!

First of all, you are looking into a good choice.  I will try to answer your questions,  The website to check out if you haven't done so is http://clos.net.  There are loads of information, but you need to take the time to weed through it.  I know Dr. Rutledge has been training doctors to do the MGB.  The last time I checked the site, they were offering a free hotel stay if you had the surgery in Los Vegas.  So, see what they are offering now.  I don't know of anyone in LA at the moment.

Insurance, well, I don't think it is accepted yet.  I know the MGB is alot more reasonable than others paying out of pocket.  As for financing, that is something you would need to find out based on your budget.  The total costs are on the website as well.

There are risks with any surgery.  All the normal risk factors.  You will hear alot of crazy stuff about the MGB but let me tell you, I have studied all the surgery types and they all have similar issues. Ulcers are a risk factor across the board.  A Prev-Pack treatment is usually what is given.  It is a combination of meds used if there is a possibility of an ulcer issue.  Dr. Rutledge discusses all this as well on the website so you can read about that as well. 

I am heading towards nine years postop and I would do this again in a heart beat.  If you have more questions, let me know!

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 885 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1217 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2034 views