Anybody Balloon UP Before HItting Goal

Keith L.
on 10/31/13 3:16 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am doing some informal research and would like to talk to anyone who hit their goal weight within 18 months but before they got there gained 10 - 30lbs (or more actually).

I have some ideas about how our metabolisms behave when we've been on a long term weight slide and I also recognize the pattern of those of us that are close and how the weight loss rate and our resting metabolic rate tend to go way down. I have a few questions like:

1) How much weight did you gain after you hit your lowest point before gaining and then proceed to your goal? and what was your low before the gain?

2) Was it a one time incident or did you yo-yo your way to goal?

3) After your gain did your weight loss rate pick up? and was it smooth sailing all the way to goal?

4) Have you maintained your loss?

5) Were you able to stop at goal or did you sail right past it?

I had a thought yesterday that when we gain weight and try to lose it seems to be a step pattern we gain 20 lbs lose 10 and then that 10lb net gain becomes our new normal then we creep up, lose a little step up and next thing we know we are 300+lbs. I wonder if the opposite works. If we work our way down to say within 10 lbs of our goal and weight loss slows, then we put on 10+ lbs and then go back to losing if the reverse momentum carries us through the slow part. 

Don't anyone worry I have not intention of trying this or experimenting with it, but I think it is an interesting concept that might be worth digging into a bit and would really be revolutionary if we find this pattern to be prevalent.

Let's Hear IT!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

shoutjoy
on 10/31/13 8:11 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi there,

Well, I have done lots of research into the body and how it metabolizes food.  I also know that old habits can rear their ugly heads and cause us to lose focus. And, I know that the real battlefield is in the mind. Stress plays a huge part in weight gain as well.

Through my research I have found that it is important obtain support through whatever means we can. Whether it's a Life Coach, Nutritionist, Fitness Coach, Support Group or all the above.  Learning the tools necessary to maintain is extremely important.  I'd say 99.99% of all diets do not equip people with the appropriate tools to maintain their weight once they reach goal. 

Research has also shown that building muscle through strength training will boost metabolism.  It also provides the body with strength and that is a good thing. 

I may or may not have answered your questions but I'd say that the journey is for a life time and involves the whole body.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 896 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1226 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2043 views