mini-gastric bypass (MGB) three month update

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/05 7:27 am - Canada
Hi... I just passed my three month anniversary from the mini-gastric bypass and wanted to share my experience so far. Below I have shared my weightloss over the past three months, but first I want to share how my experience has been. I had struggled with obesity for most of my adult life. Prior to that, I was thin. I was involved in a MVA in 1990 and sustained back injuries. Since I had already had a Herrington Rod for Scholiosis and Kyphosis as a child, my back had already caused some troubles. I was no longer able to exercise, due to the pain and started to gain weight. Over several years, I had gained an extra 100 pounds. I also started to experience depression after my MVA, and, in 1997 stopped working. My depression is managed with antidepressants and light therapy. I consider myself a "retired" nurse. Having lost weight has allowed me to become more physically active and this has helped my mood tremendously. I probably have one of the more complicated mental health histories in the WLS group. I had a number of "problems" that did not fit into the "are you a good candidate" criteria. Depression, previous drug abuse, history of Bulimia... you're probably wondering how I managed to ge through? Well... The CLOS Doctor in Bay City did not want to do my surgery and it was suggested that I see Dr. Dasher in NC. After getting approval from my personal psychiatrist and my local sports medicine doctor, I was given to go ahead. My husband was initally against WLS, but eventually came around to be supportive yet hesitant. (he has lived through all of my "mental health problems"... and was worried about how I would handle this physical and psychological crisis. I had my surgery on August 18, 2005 in North Carolina with Dr. Dasher. I have no memory of even being in recovery, and I first remember waking up in my room some time later. That first evening I was plagued with nausea and started to vomit. The jello and gatorade (which is the mainstay of the Stage I diet) were too sweet and left me feeling ill. I asked for the "bariatric coctail", and once administered felt much better. I did not sleep very well in hospital at all. The pain was really minimal and I did not really need the patient controlled analgesia (PCA) pump, but used it three times in the night hoping to get comfortable and fall asleep. It did not work. I really did not sleep well until I returned to the Sault at 7 days post-op. After reading about people going off to Walmart shopping the day after their MGB surgery, (and choosing to focus on this and not on the contacts that shared a more difficult recovery with me) I booked us into a cottage that did not have indoor plumbing. We had to use the public restroom and showers 100 yards away. Well... I did go shopping the day after surgery (was tired and felt yucky and did not enjoy it), and I did sit in the canoe for an hour or two on my second day post-op (thinking the whole time, I really want to lie down...lol). I also had the runs by the second day and spent a lot of time trudging up and back from the restrooms. My recommendation is: comfortable hotel with nice bathroom! I have had nausea off and on since surgery. Some periods have been pretty uncomfortable, but it's often not too bad. I'm not sure now if I'm having trouble with particular foods, or maybe the amounts. I know if I put too much in, it just comes right back out. If I am careful to eat only a few bites, not drink when I'm eating, and remain seating for a while after eating I seem to be OK now. But... I really have no appetite, eat very little and drink a lot of juices (fruit and V8). I take all of my supplements and drink protein drinks daily. One of my biggest concerns, and my husband's was around prior eating habits. I ate when I was sad, bored, angry, tired, happy, you name it, it was an excuse to eat. I'm pretty early in my post-op period, but I already know, there is not enough room in my pouch to eat for any reason other than hunger. I don't get the same kind of full feeling that I had before surgery, my tummy basically sends a clear message... "swallow once more and it's coming back up". Since I am worried about mal-absorbing and getting enough nutrients, the healthy stuff goes down first... and then there is no room for anything else. It's really important for me to ask myself "why are you standing with your head in the fridge?". It's usually not hunger that brings me there, and when I recognize that it's easier to walk away. Fortunately, I really have not had the cravings that I had before surgery. I have tried a few bites of my old foods ie) cheescake, cheeseburger, poutine... but none of it was really enjoyable, some things make me vomit, and I just plain don't feel good. I am so thankful that these foods did not agree with me, or I'm afraid I'd still be eating them now. I guess that suggests stay away from the "bad foods" cause if you tolerate them you'll eat them!!!!!!!!! WARNING - high calorie, high fat, low nutrient foods are not going to help you reach your goal of HEALTH! My problems pre-op included back pain, some stress incontinence, skin rashes under my fat folds, severe restless legs syndrome, swelling in my legs and feet. It's too soon to tell how these problems will be affected, but my back felt a little better even with the loss of 20 +pounds, and improves daily. The stress incontinence has been resolved and I no longer experience swelling of my legs and feet. I have even noticed the rings on my fingers are starting to spin. At one point I was treated for an H-Pylori infection for symptoms of gnawing pain in my stomach... this has been resolved. I had several bouts of severe nausea and vomiting during the first few weeks. On a few occasions I vomited what looked to me to be bile. (which happens rarely in the MGB but is though to happen quite frequently) I have not had any further episodes of bile in the past 2 months. I find that if I eat slowly, and do not put any fluids down there with my food, I digest better. I also do not lie down too soon after eating. Most importantly, I must rest for a while after eating. If I do any bending or quick moving it seems to upset my stomach. Now here's the part that excites me! May 2005 250 lbs (on a trip to Florida with women weighing 126 and 140 lbs) Aug. 18 242 Surgery in High Point, NC height 5' 7" BMI 37.9 Aug. 25 236 6 pounds Sept 01 225 11 pounds Sept 08 225 0 Sept 15 218 7 pounds Sept 22 213 5 pounds Sept 29 212 1 pound Oct 13 203 9 pounds Oct 20 202 1 pound Oct 30 196 6 pounds Nov 8 195 1 pound Nov 18 188 7 pounds BMI 29.4 total 54 pounds According to the CDC I have gone obese to overweight! My next goal is to be normal!!!!! I think my weight loss has been about average for MGBers, but I think for someone who only has 100 pounds to loose it's been fabulous. I can't really take any credit for the weight loss though, it's just happened. I have to thank Dr. Dasher for that! When the time comes that I can tolerate any foods... I will have to struggle to eat properly. So far my occasional episodes nausea and lack of appetite have been a blessing. Now, if I loose too much weight... I'll have to reconsider that one. I feel very healthy today. I have plenty of energy, my sex-drive is returning, and I don't mind getting dressed anymore. This surgery has been a gift! I am especially thankful to the members of support groups who have shared so much with me along the way. Your stories have inspired me, warned me and comforted me... and I thank you!
Bevhas
on 12/3/05 9:28 pm - Japan, Japan
Hello! What's the difference between the MGB and the regular bypass surgery?
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/05 7:48 pm - Canada
http://www.clos.net/lib/roux-en-y/mgb_vs_rny.htm I've added the link from the www.clos.net site that explains the difference between the RNY (gold standard for bariatric surgery) and the MGB. It should be easier to understand than my explanation...hehehehe If you have any other questions, please ask... hugs Kim
Bevhas
on 12/10/05 8:20 pm - Japan, Japan
Thanks for the link! It was very informative! It looks to be a lot simpler than the traditional RNY.
shoutjoy
on 12/17/05 11:32 pm - Culpeper, VA
Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work and work on developing good eating habits now. Keep us posted on your journey.
IowaHouseFlipper
on 12/28/05 8:43 pm - Belle Plaine, IA
Hi Kim and thanks for posting your experience. Your pre-op weight was right in the ballpark of mine and reading your thoughts as you've gone thru your journey really brings back memories of me when I went thru mine. I am a 3 1/2 year post op person now and I'm happy with my decision to get control of my eatting by having the surgery. It hasn't all been a piece of cake but I feel it was worth it. Oh and don't worry....the standing at the Fridgerator habit will go away in time. I find now that I get to busy and focused on other things that I can forget to even eat at all. Another thing is that I seem to eat or more like snack all day long instead of actualy 3 meals per day. I suppose that if I had a real job that this wouldn't be so easy to do and my weight would be closer to medical charts suggested weight for my age and height. But again, I'm happy where I'm at (151#). The last 2 1/2 years I've spent working on my saggy skin issues (lol) and I've gone to South America 4 times now. I've had about 29 different proceedures done but I look nothing like that gal on Oprah (ROFL). I still look like me except with fewer lumps under my clothes. Please don't rush your success though because it does take at least a year to get about 80# off, or at least it did me. But best of luck to you and if you ever have any questions for me privately, write me at [email protected].
alicemenezes
on 2/12/13 7:34 pm

Your doing great. Keep it up. I really need people like you for some inspiration.

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 896 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1226 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2041 views