Buell Lightning

Matt S.
on 5/24/07 11:49 pm - Otsego, MI
I test rode a Buell Lightning a couple nights ago. I saw a magazine ad that promoted test rides and they will give you a free messenger bag through June 30. Sounded like a good deal as it is rare to find a dealer in my area that will allow test rides. The Lightning is one wicked bike, but I wouldn't trade my Ninja 650 for it! The short wheel base, heavy clutch, engine vibes and heat were negatives for me. The engine is pretty cool, but I like v-twins. The engine doesn't smooth out until over 3,000-4,000 rpms - but it pulls hard from 2,500 to the redline at 6,000. The vibes would be way too much for my hands for very long - but I have problems with them on most everything. The mirrors were almost useless. I could tell there was a car behind me, but they buzzed badly at all times. I got a lot of heat on my right foot (was wearing full leather boots) and my right hip. (The exhaust goes to the left). There is a fan under the seat pulling air across the rear cylinder - was like a little blow torch. It was 90 degrees out, and the added heat was pretty uncomfortable. I just don't get it, I guess. I would find it a difficult ride to enjoy as a commuter/city driver. Maybe it is great for the track. It is one heck of a motor, but that doesn't make the whole package for me. Still, if you have the chance, you might enjoy taking one for a ride. (It is a very powerful and twitchy bike - so ride with care!) It was a fun hour and a nice bag I'll enjoy using with the Ninja!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Spring is coming!
JCDan · 0 replies · 320 views
Spring 2010
Moma V. · 3 replies · 461 views
Should I sell my bike????
Jill W. · 3 replies · 552 views