Should I sell my bike????

Jill W.
on 9/17/09 5:36 am
Just curious to get everyone' s opinion. . .

When I met my husband 5 years ago he already had his Sportster.  After one ride on the back, I knew I needed to get my own.  Not only was it way too uncomfortable on the back of his, I knew that I'd enjoy it 100x over if I had control of the bike.  I took classes the next spring, got my m license and bought a starter bike.  Last summer we rode almost every weekend and I upgraded to a Honda shadow.   This summer we've been way too busy and maybe ride once a month. . .

My insurance policy has an exclusion for WLS, and after exhausting the appeal process with no success, I've come to realize my only option is self pay.   I've been researching for months and found a surgeon in Mexico I feel comfortable with.  However,since we are having cash flow issues (along with everyone else in the country), I would have to finance the surgery with a down-payment. 

I'm considering selling my bike to cover the down-payment and travel costs but I am having some reservation about how much I'll miss riding.  Anyone have any opinion about the benefits of WLS vs not having my own bike?
tripletdad7
on 9/18/09 2:15 am

Ouch. That is a tough one.  If I were in your shoes, I would sell the bike, have the surgery, lose the weight, then find a bike that will fit you comfortably at that time.  I know right now, my bike (honda shadow 600) fits me good, but what I want is my parents 96 harley nostalgia.  However, with that bike, it is uncomfortable because of my weight.  The backrest as well as the size of the tank end up hurting me a little.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Think of it as by getting the surgery now, you are adding many more riding seasons in the future.

Jill W.
on 9/19/09 8:48 am

Thanks, I Iisted it on craigslist today.  Hopefully it will sell quick. 

I have a honda shadow 600 too.  I never thought about being able to ride a different bike after surgery.  I hate riding my husbands sporster but might like it more after I loose a few pounds.  He'd love to have a new one anyway.  Maybe we could get him one and I'll ride his.

With winter just around the corner I shouldn't miss it too much anyway. . .

Thanks,

Jill

Nannyre2U
on 9/21/09 1:33 am - Donaldsonville, LA
I dipped into my 401K last autum for my surgery just before the market plumeted.  Had I not taken the money I would have lost the bulk of it.  Good move on my  part.  Do what ever you have to to take the steps you need to achieve this wonderful recovery phase of your life.  There will always be motorcycles.  There will not always be a you!  Hugs, Nan

Never Give Up!  We win by losing!  Nannyre

Most Active
Recent Topics
Spring is coming!
JCDan · 0 replies · 318 views
Spring 2010
Moma V. · 3 replies · 454 views
Should I sell my bike????
Jill W. · 3 replies · 550 views