Question for theater performers..

sweetaim2
on 1/3/05 2:03 am - Monmouth Junction, NJ
I am having my surgery on 1/25/05. There is a show I would like to audition for that the show goes up in May. Assuming that would be plenty of time. The auditions are next week, how do I explain my situation to the director & still be able to say I will be ready to rehearse? Amy
paula M.
on 1/4/05 1:57 am - burnsville, NC
with 20+ years experience in theatre (acting and costuming)...i'd audition...explain the situation to the director...see what happens. worst they can do is say no, right? the main issue would be when rehearsals start, rather then the show opening. give yourself at least a month to decide if you really are ready for the task of preparing for a show. where your energy level is, etc. make sure they have plenty of time to replace you, if that becomes an issue. my surgery date is jan. 12th (week from tomorrow...yeehaww). but, i'm planning to really focus on this transition, and not even try to think about anything else for at least 6 months. but that's me. good luck with your surgery. breakaleg, paula
So Blessed!
on 7/15/05 1:08 am
Hi, I'm a musician who's sending messages to everyone on the membership roster for Musical Performance to see if we can all get there at the same time and communicate with each other. Hope to see you there! Sue ZQ
Marcy B.
on 2/7/05 12:48 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Your going to need 4-6 weeks to totally recouperate- so it depends on whether you are doing this in addition to another job, or just by itself. I would tell the director what the scoop is- and then see if he is flexible. I felt like it was better for me to back off from those kinds of commitments rather than stress myself out in case I didn't feel well or something. Pre surgery I auditioned for Fiddler on the Roof- got in and then found I simply couldn't move to do the dancing etc. I had to beg off- and quit the show. Something I have NEVER done. So I guess I am gun shy now...rather be well enough and sure of myself before I make a commitment. Good luck and I hope the surgery went well Marcy
jenyoung1978
on 4/4/05 7:09 am - Crescent City, CA
Hi! Did you ever audition for the play? What happened? I had my sugery on 10/18/04 and in December I aduitioned for "The Sound of Music" The director didn't adution me for Maria because I was still to over weight. I know it seems strange but I know the director because I sing with him in a Jazz band and when I asked him why I didn't get to adution for that part and if it was because I was fat he didn't say anything just gave me a look. But on the good side I did get a great nun part. Sister Sopia. So I guess that means that Maria can't be fat but nuns can. I will look forward to our next musical adutions this coming December to see if the same thing happens. Hopfully not and people won't even know who I am because I'll look diffrent. JEN
Most Active