Newbie w/PCM question

angela_in_sd
on 10/11/06 1:56 pm - El Cajon, CA
Hi I'm Angela and live in the San Diego area. The military Dr's have a full patient load, so I selected a civilian Dr. My Primary Care Dr is not at all supportive of wls. Her answer to my history of dieting and regaining more than I lost is-"well you just try again". It drives her asst. crazy too. She says on a "really bad day" the Doc will come by and break off 1/4 of a potato chip from her lunch and consider that a splurge. lol I have a BMI of 40.6; Psuedotumor Cerebri; hypertension; depression; and restless leg syndrome that I take daily meds for. I also have gallstones; high cholestrol; elevated triglycerides; neck and back disc herniations and pain; hip pain, and of course shortness of breath on exertion. If any of you know of a primary care physician in this area that is more understanding and supportive of wls I would greatly appreciate the info. I know that if you are here you understand all the frustrations and have probably heard all the negative comments from people that just don't "get it". I still feel that I need to "defend and explain myself" because I have to do that so often. So here goes..Although I, like all of you want to be a normal weight again (or perhaps for the first time) and enjoy all the benefits that go with that, my reason for pursuing such a drastic surgery is truly my health. Pseudotumor Cerebri is/has robbed me of a life. I live in a pain filled world. This is my only hope. Now before you think "oh what a downer she is" let me assure you I'm not on a pity party. I laugh, I smile, and I hide from most of the world how bad my daily struggle really is. I have a very difficult time revealing myself so completely like I have in this post. But I know you all have struggles too and no one could understand like all of you. I am so glad to have found this site. I look forward to getting to know you... Angela
married
on 11/10/06 12:55 am - SoCal, CA
Hi Angela, nice to get the opportunity to get to know you! We were stationed in San Diego for six years and really enjoyed the beautiful weather, Balboa Park, Sea Port Village, etc. etc. etc. But alas, my weight kept me harnessed from fully appreciating so many other things. I do hear you and understand. I was a member of TOPS while there and at that time it was a really good chapter. I lost 120 lbs. but alas, gained it back plus after we moved--a familiar story for so many! About your PC, we've been gone from San Diego too long for me to be able to help you with a referal. Sorry! Have you posted your request on the California board? That's how I found my WLS surgeon. I keep my PC because she is good about referrals, even though she does not support WLS for anyone. She's about 120 lbs. soaking wet! She just doesn't understand what it is like to be hypersensitive to sugar! Thank goodness I found Lite Dimensions in Fountain Valley for my WLS. They are so supportive. It's a 60 mile drive round trip--but worth it for me. I know it is in their interests to be friendly; however, I first went to UCLA Medical Center and they were very "military" in their approach. The nutritionist did tell me about obesityhelp.com and a light exercise program on PBS 58, Los Angeles. That's two good thing that came out of the very long day! I understand pain. I am never free even with two different meds. I once had a BMI of 40--must have somewhere along the way--however, I kept trying, too, only to regain plus more. I finally discovered why I couldn't stay the course--I'm hypersensitive to sugar! Since I removed the "bad" carbs, and added the "good" ones along with high quality protein, low fat, fresh fruits/veg., light exercise, and a daily vitamin I'm a new woman! The cravings are diminished greatly. I've lost 48 lbs. since May. So why continue to seek WLS? With a BMI over 70, and getting older by the minute, I just might not live long enough to ever see the other side of the tape measure. I have some comorbidities, but have been fortunate in the gene pool. My blood pressure and asthma are controled by meds. But my joints are screaming with each year that passes. I use a power wheel chair so I don't damage them any further. My daughter had WLS a year ago and is doing wonderfully. She's had no problems and is down 85 lbs. to a size 10 and loving it! You can do it too. Me too! I look forward to your posts as we share our journey together. Maybe we can revive this ghost town site! Take gentle care, Ema
Most Active
Recent Topics
clothing exchange
navy_wife · 0 replies · 320 views
New to this and the Navy
Michelle L. · 3 replies · 447 views
Hampton Roads area?
Jen R. · 1 replies · 331 views
Newbie w/PCM question
angela_in_sd · 1 replies · 441 views