Any knitters?

sallyj
on 3/13/06 3:45 am - Spokane, WA
Are there any knitters out there? I find that knitting helps keep both the mind and the hands busy--especially at night when it is so easy to munch. I'm working on socks and gifts right now because I have no clue as to what size I'll wind up! Sally
gothickitten
on 3/17/06 12:49 pm - Louisville, KY
hi sally, i dont know how to knit yet but i plan on learning this year. i wonder what would b a easy 1st project??? ive been crocheting so much lately cause it does keep my head and hands busy. less time to think bout food. have a good day. lisa
sallyj
on 3/20/06 1:19 am - Spokane, WA
Dear Lisa, I used to crochet a lot but it is harder on my hands (some arthritis) than knitting. If you like working with larger yarns, you might try a booga bag (http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html). It's a felted purse. The only tricky part is picking up the stitches along the side. You knit most of it on circular needles, so it works up really fast. If you don't have anyone around to help you (check with your local yarn shop), you might want to start with something like knit washclothes. I get a lot of patterns off the internet (free) and there's a ton of sites with good pictures of how to do different techniques. I prefer working with smaller yarns (needles size 3 and 5), so tend to make more sweaters and socks. Socks are more intimidating to start with, but they are great learning projects (again if you have someone to help) because you learn all sorts of good techniques. I find knitting works better than reading to keep me focused on something other than eating. I hate to put down the project because then I loose count of my rows and patterns! If you need some good internet sites, just let me know. Check out elann.com and knitpicks.com for nice yarns at a good price. Sally
yakypakrat
on 3/20/06 1:08 am - Edina, MN
Hello Fellow Knitter! I love to knit--I just moved to this area from CA. I have been taking breaks from unpacking to visit a few knitting stores in the Twin Cities. So far I have knitted a sweater in the round, dishcloths, scarf and my new knitting project is also socks. I am finding that all the needles are a bit of a challenge and that I have to concentrate much more than when I am using regular needles.
sallyj
on 3/20/06 1:27 am - Spokane, WA
Dear Mary, Boy, Minnesota from California--bit of a winter change! You'll need to master wool socks. Did you know they now have a sock yarn with aloe vera in it? I bought a ball but haven't worked it up yet. I started with socks in February and have a goal of one pair for each month of the year. They are small enough projects to keep at work and knit during lunch. I use the teflon coated needles rather than the bamboo so it is less like knitting on toothpicks! I did find that the shorter "sock/glove" needles hurt my hands more because they poke my palms. I haven't done any dishcloths yet but I did finish a sweater in the round. Did you see Interknits fall 2005 issue? The sweater that had the pointed sleeves on the cover--I've knit that but haven't done the finishing on it yet. I have a nice little yarn shop here, and I try to support it, but I do also buy a lot of my yarns online. I wind up with all sorts of yarn that I have "plans" for but then can't decide which project to start next. I've ordered some bamboo yarn for a summer sweater but can't decide on a pattern. The yarn has a nice sheen to it and has the feel of a microfibre yarn but out of a natural material. I like it knit tightly so can't get it to match the gauge of the patterns I like. Sally
yakypakrat
on 3/20/06 1:00 pm - Edina, MN
Hi Sally, Yes, from CA to MN it is a change but for the better. I really like it here--my husband and I went to the symphony over the weekend and the chairs are pretty good sized so I fit okay--now I really like it here. When I was in CA it seemed that I couldn't fit into anything or everything was tight. I am trying to knit my socks but it seems like the revised pattern the instructor gave me is incorrect or I messed up somewhere. I am using the bamboo sticks because she said that since I am just starting that those sticks hold the yarn better. I wanted to make grown up sock but she said to start with a baby sock. I have decided to make them large enough to fit my Teddy Bear--his name is Teddy. I am going back to class at 1PM this coming Saturday so I put the socks back in my bag before I mess them up too, too much Tomorrow night I going to a class that is for intermediate beginners? I guess they are going to teach me how to change colors and improve my knitting technique That bamboo yarn sounds pretty nice. My husband wants an Alpaca sweater--I said if he gives me some Alpaca money I might knit him up one. Mary
sallyj
on 3/20/06 10:23 pm - Spokane, WA
Dear Mary, Doesn't it make a world of difference when you can actually be comfortable in public! I too love concerts, opera, theatre, etc. but quit going because of my size. It was just too much to go to the effort of getting the tickets, dressing up, and then squeezing myself into an uncomfortable seat and being in pain the whole time. I so look forward to when I am merely "large" but can still fit. I have a conference to fly to this summer, so I'm hoping to fit into the airplane seat! I've taken a few knitting classes from my local store--including one on socks--and find them very helpful. Once you master the techniques, there are a lot of fun variations. I have a book "Sensational Socks" that shows you how to make socks from almost any yarn for almost any size foot. And it has different types of toes. I found getting the grafting right to be the most difficult part of socks so want to try a "toe up" version. I'm working on a wool pair right now that is knitting up a bit large for some reason--all stockinette stitch?--so I'll have to see how they work out. I'm going to start on a cut dog sweater and matching socks (for the person not the dog!) to donate to my local off-lease association fund raiser. I made a sweater with an alpaca/merino blend that I got from elann.com at a really nice price. Are you familiar with them? I use a lot of internet sources for yarns and have had very good results. Good luck with the socks, Sally
yakypakrat
on 3/22/06 8:15 am - Edina, MN
Hi Sally, Yeah, being big isn't any fun that is for sure. I hate flying because the seats are small and the tray table doesn't fit in front of me. I always have to use my husbands tray table. I remember once when I sitting on a plane in the front with two other women next to me (I was sitting on the aisle). The airplane ladies were talking about me right in front of my face like they didn't think I could hear them. They were saying that I should have bought an extra seat. I'm not sure what makes them think I couldn't hear them or see their faces. I should have said something but I feel as if I have been beaten down. Or it just rolls off of me now--but not really. One time Southwest Airlines stopped me and my husband when we were boarding--they said we should buy and extra ticket. My husband told them that the rules are as long as you dont' spread out into another seat that that doesn't apply. We didn't have to get another ticket--he is stronger than I am in many ways. I have never bought yarn online--although I have seen sites that will send their customers swatches. Which online store do you use to purchase yarn? Alpaca/Merino is a sweater fit for a king! As far as my socks go I think I will have to go back to sock class on Saturday to what the problem is I think the dog sweater and matching socks would be cool. I have an adopted sister that has a dog--she would love that. Mary
sallyj
on 3/23/06 12:10 am - Spokane, WA
Dear Mary, I have used www.elann.com for several yarns--nice yarns, good prices, but limited selection at times www.knitpicks.com for cheaper yarns--in house brands--okay for casual projects (booga bag, dog sweater, etc.) but I prefer better brands for sweaters and gifts www.yarnforward.com--bought a nice lace-weight cashmere (Scottish not Chinese) for a shawl at a decent price www.purplekitty.com--dog sweater and sock pattern and some mohair yarn for a sweater www.yarnmarket.com--sock yarns www.handknitting.com--yet more sock yarns! I have a list that I gathered from a variety of sources for yarns online because, while I believe in supporting my local yarn shop, I also like really nice yarns that it doesn't carry. And I have always had very good luck with both shipping and colors being true to what my monitor shows. My problem is finding too much! I've come across one web site that sells "peace yarn," (www.peacefleece.com) yarn that is blended from American and Russian wool and is hand dyed. I don't have a project in mind for it yet, but I am lusting after the yarn! And I never order a color card first--too impulsive I guess. I did order some yarn from Lion Brand online (a microfiber for a baby bunting) to knit one of their patterns. The bunting looks like an ear of corn, and I wasn't sure about substituting colors. A lot of baby yarn is in pastels rather than brights, so I just went with their suggestion. I'm finishing sewing on the snaps on the bunting tonight at my knitting group--I need a cat free zone to work--and then I'm ready for something new. My bamboo yarn isn't in yet, and I hesitate to start on a different big project while I wait, but I don't know how long it will be. I find it takes longer for my yarn shop to get an order in than it does for me to get something I've ordered online--go figure! I do have some Shetland wool I might start making a shawl with--it seems like now with the WLS I'm cold all the time so I could use a pretty shawl! The yarn for the dog sweater should be here tomorrow, so I could be patient and wait! If you'd like my full list of online resources, just let me know. Happy knitting and weight loosing! Sally
yakypakrat
on 3/23/06 7:18 am - Edina, MN
Hiya Sally, OH NO!! I read your post today and I have the sites up on my browser in the background. My husband will kill me if I buy any more stuff--I'm going to be a dead woman HA However if I can just get this sleeve done on the sweater I think I will be okay He said if I finish a project than I can get more stuff for another project. He rules the purse strings with an iron hand--plus he is smart and he notices things. I am looking at that Alpaca on the Handknitting.com site--what do you think? I'm thinking that might make a great sweater for him Who can argue with the price? The sweater I made for him is made from wool that costs as much as that Alpaca--I bought it in a yarn store. I try to support my yarn shops by taking classes and buying yarn from them for whatever project I am learning. I stopped going to Joann for needles and started buying them at the yarn stores. My local yarn store has spinning classes but I am forbidden to take any of those until I finish up ALL my projects (perhaps I should go back to work--hehehe) I have to keep looking on the websites because I am not too sure what kind of yarn makes "sock yarn". I have seen stickers at the store advertising "sock yarn" but I never paid much attention because that did not apply to me. I was not "sock yarn" material Mary Poretsky
Most Active
Recent Topics
Question for crocheters...
patriotmom · 1 replies · 583 views
knitter/crocheter/spindler
bevsyarncrazy · 1 replies · 567 views
New to this board!
hotmamawannab · 0 replies · 511 views
Hello Ladies ;-)
Babe_Magnet · 0 replies · 487 views