WOW - I DIDN'T KNOW THIS EXISTED

djlook
on 4/6/06 10:23 pm - Indianapolis, IN
I have been venturing out on this website and just discovered this. I am amazed and so EXCITED I am a cross-stitcher, crocheter, knitter, you name it I do it. Would love to hear from others with these interests. They help so much to replace the EATING Waiting to hear from anyone and all. Debbie
yakypakrat
on 4/6/06 10:28 pm - Edina, MN
Hi Debbie, That is how I found this area of the website too I love all kinds of crafts such as jewelry making, polymer clay, sewing, quilting, scrapbooking and cardmaking. I am just learning how to knit more complex things. I have knitted a sock that looks like and elf shoe Now I am working on a hat with 2 colors. I am taking 2 knitting classes this month Mary
sallyj
on 4/11/06 11:10 pm - Spokane, WA
Dear Debbie, Welcome to the sight. I started knitting again as a way to keep my hands and mind busy at night. That is when I used to want to munch. That hasn't been much of a problem since the surgery (yet anyway), but it also seems to help me chew more and eat more slowly. I don't want to stop and lose count of what I'm doing! So what are you working on this spring? I've got a couple of sweaters going right now--one for me (eventually) and one for a lady at work. She does pottery and is making me a tangine type casserole dish in exchange for the sweater. It's a pattern I love but can't wear myself because it has raglan sleeves. I have no shoulders and raglans just make my shoulders look smaller and my bust look bigger--which I don't need! I also have a needlepoint pillow set aside (for about a year now) and the yarn and plans for a sweater set, a mohair sweater, and about eight pairs of socks! And of course, I'm already thinking of Christmas gifts--seaman style scarves all around. I look forward to hearing more from you, Sally
djlook
on 4/12/06 8:18 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Dear Sally, It was good to hear from you. Yes, I have knitted since I was 9 and that was many years ago. I am working mostly on service projects for the church right now. We are doing Prayer Shawls and chemo hats. These are rewarding projects and alot of fun. We meet every Wednesday for 3 hours of knitting and then lunch. What fun we are having. My home projects are a sweater and some quick little wash cloths for the kitchen. I am also in the middle of 2 different Block-A-Month Quilting projects and a cross-stitch project. A friend just finished a sock class so I have all the stuff and she is going to teach me. How long has it been since your surgery? Mine was December 6, 2005. I am down 85# already and so excited about the spring and summer clothes. I haven't been this size in forever. I love Goodwill. We are having a clothing exchange on the 22nd and I have a ton of clothes to take. Hopefully I get some in return. Waiting to hear from you. How is Iowa? I lived in Oklahoma for 25 years before moving here to Indy in 2002. Debbie
sallyj
on 4/12/06 10:22 pm - Spokane, WA
Dear Debbie, Man, it sounds like you are busy with a lot of different projects. I tend to get really focused on one, go like a bandit, and then crash and burn! I'm trying to pace myself better because I don't want to get tired of knitting. It is simply too useful for keeping busy. Although I must say, it has reduced my reading quite a bit. I'll have to go with books on tape! I didn't find socks all that difficult once I understood the directions. I had made a sweater that used short rows before, so that wasn't odd. I still want to improve the look of my picked up stitches, but don't know if that is really possible. I actually like working on the smaller needles as the bigger ones seem too clunky. I did a booga bag on size 10.5 and felt like a 5 year old trying to hold a giant pencil. My surgery was Nov. 15th last year--so today is my 5th month date. I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon. I wish they would have morning appointments when I weigh just a tad less! I'm down 98.6 lbs. just 1.4 lbs. shy of my own goal. I started at a really high weight, so I still have a lot to lose. But, like you, it has been forever since I've been this size. And knowing it won't be back is so wonderful as well. I've lost down close to this before on my own but always gained it back. So far the only problem I've had is constipation. It's not fun, but I can deal with that. No hunger yet, and just a bit of hair loss--not in the big clumps like other people. As if I had clumps to loose in the first place! I work at a university, so I need to dress "career" and that can be tough on the budget. Fortunately, I can go a bit more casual in the summer. I used to work in retail, so I have a lot of those clothes left over that I can now get back into. And, like so many women, I had a stash of clothes that I was going to loss weight to get into. So depending on when the slow down comes, I should be able to get through the summer with just a few more tops. It is the "foundation garments" that get me. I go through a different bra size monthly! My neighborhood has a massive yard sale in the fall that I will be set for. I used to live in both Oklahoma and Indiana. I lived in Tulsa as a small child and then got my masters in English at OSU in Stillwater. And I've lived about 10 years total in Evansville, IN. I'm not particulary fond of Iowa--at least Sioux City. It isn't all that creative a place. It is very pretty (I'm in the hilly area), but it is what I call the "deep midwest." While I'm pretty conservative in my behavior, I want a little more excitment and variety. There isn't even a health food store here. But it isn't a bad place and will do for a couple of more years. And we have a great dog park! Well, have a great Easter (I'm heading to Mount Rushmore for the weekend) and keep up the great work--both knitting and weight loss! Sally
Most Active
Recent Topics
Question for crocheters...
patriotmom · 1 replies · 583 views
knitter/crocheter/spindler
bevsyarncrazy · 1 replies · 566 views
New to this board!
hotmamawannab · 0 replies · 511 views
Hello Ladies ;-)
Babe_Magnet · 0 replies · 487 views