Jumping Ship

Maren McGregor
on 8/27/07 11:39 am - Southwest, WA
VSG on 10/17/07 with
Hi all, Well,  after much thought, research, discussion, and weight loss failure I have made the decision to pursue surgery.   While I will admit to having mixed emotions about what I am doing, I have to say that the decision feels very right.  I am sure the process will take awhile (although because I am self-pay it should go quicker than some).  In the meantime I plan to continue to try to lose some weight on my own and to lurk here (& post occasionally).   Your thoughts, opinions, horror stories, questions, & well wishes are all equally welcome.  Thanks for letting me get it out there where it feels real.

Maren

mskaty
on 8/27/07 12:36 pm
It sounds like you thought this through and you have to do what is right for you.  I'm sure you will be supported here.  You should be really proud of yourself though.  If I was looking at your starting/current/goal numbers correctly, you have already lost a remarkable amount of weight.  Congratulations on that .  Good luck with whatever you choose.
Maren McGregor
on 8/27/07 1:34 pm - Southwest, WA
VSG on 10/17/07 with

mskaty, Thanks for the support.  I have a feeling I will need it in the months to come.  Thanks too the vote of confidence but part of what went into my decision to have WL surgery is the fact that I have regained 60+ pounds of what I had lost.  So discouraging to be back here again.   You, on the other hand, have done a wonderful job of losing weight and keeping it lost.  A huge congrats to you!

Maren

Gael T.
on 8/27/07 5:58 pm - CA
Awwww, don't worry about jumpin ship, you aren't the 1st, and won't be the last!  Boating 2   I may join ya in a few months, as I was looking at WLS for many months, then took the summer off to chill.  Which WLS are you considering?

Newly crowned:  Official VSG Lady in Waiting  King  

Maren McGregor
on 8/27/07 10:03 pm - Southwest, WA
VSG on 10/17/07 with

Gael, Thanks for the kind words.  The only WLS I would even consider in the VSG.  For reasons even I am not sure of  I just don't think the lap-band would work for me and I can't get my mind around have my intestines rearranged. I always told myself that if there were a way to just make my stomach smaller I would do it in a heartbeat - and now it turns out there is. 

Maren

Donnamarie
on 8/27/07 9:08 pm - NY

Hey Maren!!!!  First off huge hugs to you.  I have missed you here!!!  I see though that you haven't been gone, just lurking.  It's nice to have you around in any way that we can. I know better than anyone the struggles you've endured over the past few years.  You have done so well on your own but now you have determined that isn't enough.  Don't look at it as jumping ship.  If you feel that you have made this decision reasonably and intelligently then nobody is to judge you. Please don't disappear.  We have post-ops on here as well and they are just as welcome as anyone. Let us know how you do, and I will keep you in my prayers that everything goes well, whatever route you take.

Donna

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

Maren McGregor
on 8/27/07 10:10 pm - Southwest, WA
VSG on 10/17/07 with
Hi Donna, Thank you for always being so supportive!  The process will take a little while and I will be around.  I will be going to Mexico for the surgery and am currently researching the ins & outs of that.  I would imagine nothing will happen until years end or early next year.  Either way, I will not forget my "roots".

Maren

Neecee O.
on 8/27/07 9:52 pm - CA
WLS is a viable option and for folks our age (you don't say how old you are, but from your profile, certain things add up to being in my camp).  The chances that you will lose and keep it off with wls are much better than on your own. As we all agree, yes, surgery of all kinds involves an amount of risk. But so does being 75-100 pounds overweight. I have 6 friends who have had it the in the past five years. All are doing wonderfully. One lady was about 60 ish when she did it RnY.  J had lupus, arthritis, gall bladder issues, high blood pressure - all gone - she looks wonderful, feels great, off most of her meds. She weighed about 260-275 ish, about 5 '7". Now she stays around 150. No plastic needed, either. Amazing.  I think you will be very successful. best of luck, and pop out to give a report!
Maren McGregor
on 8/27/07 10:17 pm - Southwest, WA
VSG on 10/17/07 with
Hi Neecee, Thank you so much for your encouraging words.  I will be 55 in October and have reached an age where I feel the weight is more dangerous than maybe I felt it was when I was younger.  I have not really had much in the way of weight-related health issues but at my age I know it is just a matter of time (probably very little time). I really feel like this is the best course for me and I agree with you that being older is actually an advantage in many respects. I have lurked so much on this board I can't imagine not hanging out here, so I will keep you posted as things move along.

Maren

Jupiter6
on 8/28/07 1:08 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Ain't no shame-- mama , do your thang! Seriously-- they asked me to stay here, and I am asking you. The truth is, we're all still in the same battle-- and all still struggling with the same demons. Surgery doesn't stop that, sadly...just gives you something else in the arsenal to work with/contend with/curse at. I would advise you to try to maintain your losses, though. Surgery is so more much complex on people with high BMIs, and you'll have less to do later.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 336 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 464 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 673 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 883 views