Hello All....new here :)

STACE518
on 11/11/12 8:29 am

Hi everyone! Im Stacie I'm  new to the boards and hoping that maybe adding this form of support will help. I would like to say help with this 'journey' but it actually feels more like an everlasting roller coaster these days. I have read a lot on the other boards about wls. For many reasons that's just not an option for me at this point in time. Im currently 5'6 (female lol) and my weigh-in at weigh****chers Thursday was 264. I have a slightly athletic build, both a blessing and a curse I suppose. I always say I'll always have the legs of a soccer player and not a supermodel. And I have heard more than once that "theres no way you weigh that much!" Ahhh.....but I do, and I know the truth behind the numbers lol. Back in May of this year I quit smoking and thats when I went up to 267. At one point I had been at around 240 ish went to around 220 ish with smaller portion sizes and a lot of walking. Not all in the course of this year, this has all been the last couple years I've been in between the 220 ish and where I am now.

When I was using weigh****chers earlier this year it seemed to be working for me and It was relatively easy to follow because you don't really have to deprive yourself of anything with the points system. So now I'm back to give it another try. Which I'm very excited about.

So here's the part I could use a little support with, I have a friend who is going in for wls next week. I have a friend going in for wls surgery and I am ecstatic for her. However, I can't help but feel a little left behind as well. I hope that doesn't sound selfish although it probably is. I have always been obsessed with losing the weight. Above all I want to be healthy but of course I want to look better too. Lately every free minute I have is spent looking for different diet plans, different methods to try and just reading about weight loss in general. My other obstacle is exercise, as much as I know I need to I dread it! I did enjoy walking before but I really just don't enjoy that as much anymore. I did have an exercise bike but that is no longer an option, as I found out there is a difference between a spinning bike and a stationary bike lol. At least I can say it wasn't underused though!

Well thank you everyone for listening and I hope to meet a lot of wonderful people here! I feel as though maybe if I add in more of the support aspect maybe that will be what I need to get on track and stay on track. I do just want to add as well that I have a wonderfully supportive husband and 2 beautiful children.He is very supportive but it's also hard for him to fully understand all the struggles that come with it. Thank you again everyone! :)

Supergirl7877
on 11/11/12 9:25 am
Welcome Stacie! I am about to zonk out but I wanted to say Hi!! I am new here as well and I am so happy to have you here.

With regard to your friend....be happy for her and know she will leave you in the dust. Just remember the tortoise and the hare story and get on the track with her!!

Back after this catnap!
chellelynn3
on 11/11/12 9:33 am - san bernardino, CA

Welcome! I can relate to how you feel about your friend having WLS, that was a huge catalyst for me in my own weight loss journey, I had two friends that had it done right around the same time and for a short time I thought I was going to have it myself, I ended up going with out (so glad I did) and took a much different path, slower of course, but it was the right choice for me! Good luck to you as you continue on this journey! 

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

STACE518
on 11/11/12 9:38 am

Thank you both so much for your replies! And to know Im not the only one in that situation! Sometimes thinking about it makes me feel so guilty, but I do feel very happy for her. Im so glad I decided to join this board :)

STACE518
on 11/11/12 9:40 am

And I see what you both have accomplished and it is amazing !! Truly an inspiration to keep going and stick with it!

DebColCam
on 11/11/12 1:33 pm - Canada
Hi Stacie I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I too thought about having WLS but I decided against it. I have read a few success stories and a few tragic stories re WLS. I also realized it wouldn't help the head hunger, emotional eating, cravings or addiction to certain foods. I am 49 lbs done from my highest weight just a few short years ago, and trying to lose more. I have had some health probs and the #s on the scale keep fluctuating by about 4lbs in up and down. Been moving more recently and overall feeling a little better. Anyway again welcome! Deb
STACE518
on 11/14/12 3:20 pm
Thank you so much Deb!! I also was having a prob with the scale going up or down a few pounds either direction lately. So I threw it away! Lol...since I rejoined ww I promised myself I will only weigh in there for now.I keep telling myself it's not the weight I should be worries about it's the habits that caused it. That's great that you're up and around more, I need a little more motivation in that dept lol. Thanks again Deb for the warm welcome!
DebColCam
on 11/14/12 11:46 pm - Canada
Hi Stacie good for you for throwing the scale away. I can't part with mine because as annoying as it is it keeps accountable. If I don'****ch my numbers frequently I could easily put 10 ponds on in month. It as long as I stay within that 4 lb range I don't stress. I find it keeps me motivated. I hear that weigh****chers is a good program. Keep posting to let us know how you are doing. Deb
STACE518
on 11/16/12 5:09 am

I actually just had my weigh-in at weigh****chers yesterday and was down 2 lbs from last week, so that's not too bad I guess. And that is actually the only reason I threw my scale away was because I started going back to weigh****chers and get weighed in there weekly. I didn't want to play battle of the scales anymore lol....but you are so right it definitely keeps you accountable and the weight will creep right up if you're not careful. I'm actually a little excited today because I'm supposed to be getting a new stove this afternoon, and I have not been able to use my oven in about 2 months. There are so many recipes I have wanted to try out and just haven't been able to. Weigh****chers is definitely a great program though, I lost 10 lbs last time I was on it so I think I could have good results if I stick with it longer. Hope everyone has a great weekend!! :)

capodo
on 11/21/12 3:46 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi Stacie!

I'm a WLS "old timer" - had an Open, Roux-en-Y Proximal+ on 1/25/2001. I was 403 lbs when I had the surgery and got down to 238 in about 15 months after. It's now nearly 12 years later, and from about 2005-2009 I gained back nearly 50 lbs. At my highest weight (in Jan 2009) I was 282 and completely disgusted with myself.

Of course, being I had a GBP.. it's not like there's another procedure I can do you know? *LOL* So for the past 3 years it's been a battle. I do go to the gym 3-4 days a week (for 40 mins at a time). I'd gotten down to 262 at one point - but then I'd just bounce back up to about 272-274.

On 10/23/12 my PCP asked if I'd consider Phentermine. I did try the "Fen/Phen" combo back in the 90's. It did ok for me, but I was worried about developing heart issues so I stopped it. My heart is MUCH healthier nowadays, so my PCP felt it would be all right for me to try it. I agreed. I'm in week 5 now, and I've lost 13 lbs so far.

People ask me often, "Would you do it again - have the surgery?" And I immediately reply with ABSOLUTELY. It was one of the best decisions of my life. And one of the SCARIEST as well. I'm very fortunate that I've had little side effects or issues from the GBP. I know others who haven't been as fortunate. It's a BIG decision. And it's certainly not the "end all be all" to weight loss issues. My own 50 lb weigh gain is proof of that!

I wish you all the best in your non-surgical WL journey. You go!!!

"Sam.  Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."  --Optimus Prime, Transfomers2

"The Lord is close to the broken-hearted.  He rescues those who are crushed in spirit."  --Psalm 34:18a

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 335 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 461 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 671 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 880 views