Fad diets Fail

btm61
on 10/20/18 9:31 am

Hi all, I'm new to the web site having just wrote a review for the weight loss clinic I attend. Fad diets promise quick and lasting results, but very seldom deliver both. Why? Because weight loss is more than intake and exercise, there is a very real psychological side to it as well, and any program that fails to address all three aspects will never work. for sure you have your weekly meetings but losing weight, especially if you are looking to lose a lot, is a minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day process that takes discipline (something we all lack to begin with or we wouldn't be in this position in the first place) and requires incredible support. I have lost 80 pounds in the last 18 months and just yesterday completed my first ever 5K. I still have a long way to go but I will get there, and it will be sooner than later. I am open for comments, questions, and discussion so long as it is civil.

hollykim
on 11/5/18 8:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 20, 2018 at 4:31 PM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Hi all, I'm new to the web site having just wrote a review for the weight loss clinic I attend. Fad diets promise quick and lasting results, but very seldom deliver both. Why? Because weight loss is more than intake and exercise, there is a very real psychological side to it as well, and any program that fails to address all three aspects will never work. for sure you have your weekly meetings but losing weight, especially if you are looking to lose a lot, is a minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day process that takes discipline (something we all lack to begin with or we wouldn't be in this position in the first place) and requires incredible support. I have lost 80 pounds in the last 18 months and just yesterday completed my first ever 5K. I still have a long way to go but I will get there, and it will be sooner than later. I am open for comments, questions, and discussion so long as it is civil.

yes,we know. That's why most of us here have had weight loss surgery,the only way to achieve long lasting weight loss and maintenance.

btm61
on 11/7/18 5:33 am

Holly, if the surgery has worked for you congratulations but the fact is I know as many people who weigh considerably MORE after their surgery than before it as I do folks who have had long term success with the surgery. Long term success can also be attained without surgery with smart eating and smart, targeted exercise. The clinic I go to has medical professionals on staff to help with the mental, physical, and nutritional facets of losing weight. We have a nutritionist that goes over our food diary every month, and I meet with Medical staff every other month. On top of that our clinic has it's own fitness center managed by a young lady with a degree in Kinesiology from IU as well as professional fitness training certifications. If you aren't dealing with all three aspects, then failure is in your future, it's that simple.

hollykim
on 11/7/18 5:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 7, 2018 at 1:33 PM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Holly, if the surgery has worked for you congratulations but the fact is I know as many people who weigh considerably MORE after their surgery than before it as I do folks who have had long term success with the surgery. Long term success can also be attained without surgery with smart eating and smart, targeted exercise. The clinic I go to has medical professionals on staff to help with the mental, physical, and nutritional facets of losing weight. We have a nutritionist that goes over our food diary every month, and I meet with Medical staff every other month. On top of that our clinic has it's own fitness center managed by a young lady with a degree in Kinesiology from IU as well as professional fitness training certifications. If you aren't dealing with all three aspects, then failure is in your future, it's that simple.

the statistics unfortunately prove you wrong.

I certainly wish for your success and invite you to continue posting here regularly.

I will certainly be watching for your posts documenting your progress and success.

btm61
on 11/7/18 9:12 pm

Holly, It might help you to understand that I have lost 83 pounds in the last year on my program. Now you may say, that's not much, but research teaches us that a 1-2 pound weight loss per week is sustainable and healthy. It may be just me but I think that puts me in a unique place to present my views. Good evening.

hollykim
on 11/8/18 6:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 8, 2018 at 5:12 AM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Holly, It might help you to understand that I have lost 83 pounds in the last year on my program. Now you may say, that's not much, but research teaches us that a 1-2 pound weight loss per week is sustainable and healthy. It may be just me but I think that puts me in a unique place to present my views. Good evening.

it is not really a unique place. Everyone on this web site has lost lots of weight, many many times, myself included, and been unable to maintain the loss.

that is the big difference. Without WLS, I regained the weight every time. I have not regained the weight after nearly 8 years, because of WLS.

maybe you will be one of the ppl who defy the odds, lose all your weight and maintain that loss for the rest of your life. Maybe you won't.

if your program or any program worked long term why are there dosmy morbidly obese ppl in and out of those programs? If those programs worked long term, there would be no obese ppl.

btm61
on 11/8/18 8:51 am

Holly, As I said earlier. I'm glad your surgery has worked, but your solution is no more the only way than what I'm doing. There are many variables that go into successful weight loss, and each of us has our own motivation. I realize that I am a different case than most at our clinic in that just about every other patient at our clinic is there on a doctor's orders, however, I asked my doctor to put me in the program, hence I have an internal motivation that may be lacking in others.

Most weight loss programs include drinking meal replacement shakes, multiple supplements, and other low calorie meals. They may be high protein, or high carb diets, but what happens as soon as those people reach their weight and then begin eating three normal meals per day? The weight goes right back on. I however, can eat anything I desire, including the occasional Snickers bar or potato chips as my diet is based on the USDA recommended 2000 calorie diet and it's accompanying nutrients. We use myfitnesspal.com to track out intake and have it checked each month by a registered dietician *****views our food diary and helps us make changes to our intake as needed. I can, and often do, enjoy my Mint M&M's or maybe even enjoy an occasional DQ Peanut Buster Parfait. I check the Nutrition information charts before going to a restaurant and preplan what I'm going to eat before I even go.

The exercise program is designed by a young lady with a Kinesiology degree as well as her having two professional "Trainer" certifications, and she designs our exercise program for each individual's needs and goals. I do exercises that others do not do and the same can be said for others. She changes our exercises about every 5 weeks or so and because of her program I am physically stronger than I have ever been. Her guidance has also helped educate me that calorie counting isn't what really matters, What really matters is calorie intake versus BMR (Base Metabolic Rate). In short I've learned how to make the numbers work in my favor.

Why are there so many obese people? simple, I've tired many different programs just as it sounds like you have, and my experience those programs versus what I'm currently doing is simple, those other programs are designed to fail because they aren't real. My dad went through one hospital's program and lost about 60 pounds, only to put most of it back on a couple of years later. Why? Because he was only eating two meals per day and exercising on top of that and that isn't sustainable and isn't even healthy.

Have a good one, Holly.

hollykim
on 11/8/18 9:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 8, 2018 at 4:51 PM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Holly, As I said earlier. I'm glad your surgery has worked, but your solution is no more the only way than what I'm doing. There are many variables that go into successful weight loss, and each of us has our own motivation. I realize that I am a different case than most at our clinic in that just about every other patient at our clinic is there on a doctor's orders, however, I asked my doctor to put me in the program, hence I have an internal motivation that may be lacking in others.

Most weight loss programs include drinking meal replacement shakes, multiple supplements, and other low calorie meals. They may be high protein, or high carb diets, but what happens as soon as those people reach their weight and then begin eating three normal meals per day? The weight goes right back on. I however, can eat anything I desire, including the occasional Snickers bar or potato chips as my diet is based on the USDA recommended 2000 calorie diet and it's accompanying nutrients. We use myfitnesspal.com to track out intake and have it checked each month by a registered dietician *****views our food diary and helps us make changes to our intake as needed. I can, and often do, enjoy my Mint M&M's or maybe even enjoy an occasional DQ Peanut Buster Parfait. I check the Nutrition information charts before going to a restaurant and preplan what I'm going to eat before I even go.

The exercise program is designed by a young lady with a Kinesiology degree as well as her having two professional "Trainer" certifications, and she designs our exercise program for each individual's needs and goals. I do exercises that others do not do and the same can be said for others. She changes our exercises about every 5 weeks or so and because of her program I am physically stronger than I have ever been. Her guidance has also helped educate me that calorie counting isn't what really matters, What really matters is calorie intake versus BMR (Base Metabolic Rate). In short I've learned how to make the numbers work in my favor.

Why are there so many obese people? simple, I've tired many different programs just as it sounds like you have, and my experience those programs versus what I'm currently doing is simple, those other programs are designed to fail because they aren't real. My dad went through one hospital's program and lost about 60 pounds, only to put most of it back on a couple of years later. Why? Because he was only eating two meals per day and exercising on top of that and that isn't sustainable and isn't even healthy.

Have a good one, Holly.

I'll be interested to watch your progress.

btm61
on 11/10/18 3:43 am

Holly, down 8 pounds in the last 8 days, Holly. How did you do in that time period?

hollykim
on 11/10/18 6:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Holly, down 8 pounds in the last 8 days, Holly. How did you do in that time period?

I lost 12 pounds on a week. The important thing is not how much you lose in any given time frame. The important thing is how long and if you maintain the loss. That is what I am looking for.

I lost 122# in 15 months ,8 years ago. I have maintained that loss for the 8 year time frame.

I gained some when I had bleeding ulcers, but realist that gain as well.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 336 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 464 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 673 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 883 views