That fickle fickle scale

Donnamarie
on 9/6/05 8:13 am - NY
I posted this to the main board and thought I would also share it here. I thought it would be amusing to share my tale of the scale. I am a non-op at this point, but spend much time watching the success of all of you, and learning what I can from your journies. I have been on my own journey for exactly 2 months today and have lost 42 pounds to date. I am right now smack dab at 300 and praying for the number 2 to proceed all the other numbers I see. At the beginning I only weighed at the doctors office, the first six weeks actually. However, I went out and bought a scale when my other half went on Atkins and my son started back on WW. I only "tested" the scale for accuracy the first time I stepped on it because I had been to my own doctor just two days before. We were all going to just weight once a week. Wellllllll, after about 2 days of not stepping on it I snuck into the bedroom and pulled it out of its hiding place. I set it onto the rug and stepped on it, looked down and weighed a whopping 111.6 lbs. I had to laugh at myself and realized that I had indeed deserved that number. I put the scale away for a few days and then pulled it out on the proper weighing day. Well my other half had gained 5 lbs on Atkins and my son had gained 3 pounds on Weigh****chers, LOL. So in an effort to put the scale into a spot where it wouldn't be moved and perhaps be more accurate, we relocated it to the basement in one spot where nobody would move it. My other half and my son quickly grew tired of their own programs and forgot the scale even existed. But, the basement is the place where I do laundry, I have to look at it every day. From that point on the game with the scale began. It would tease me with 2 lb weight flucuations from weigh to weigh, morning to night. Then bam it would drop the 2 lbs and the game would begin again. Saturday morning I stepped on the scale and it finally said 300 lbs!!!! I was ecstatic, figuring from that point on I would play the game and in a couple of days it would register under 300, the magical TWO number. The next day I stepped back on and it was 301, I grumbled. I stayed off of it until this afternoon when I ventured back down to the bowels of the basement, feeling a bit "slimmer", my stomach a tad flatter. I stepped on the scale and voila!!!!! 298.8 I was overwhelmed with excitement. I called the only one in the house down, my son, and made him attest to the number. He was overjoyed for me. Hugs ensued. Then he stepped on the scale and he too had lost 2 lbs from a mere 2 days ago. We were both flabberghasted, and in an effort to convince myself that I had indeed dropped below 300 I stepped back on it and voila!!!!! 300 lbs. Damn fickle scale I am happy that I am at the point in my journey where I am measuring success by other things than numbers. I am not obsessed with the scale, I merely do my program, exercise as needed and wait patiently -- for a change -- for the weight to come off. I just hate having the thing in my house, taunting me to step on, playing its little number games with me. LOL Just thought I'd share my story of the scale and it's incredible fickleness. Donna
Maren McGregor
on 9/6/05 10:39 am - Southwest, WA
VSG on 10/17/07 with
Donna, I love this story and can sooo identify with it! I know what you mean about measuring your success by other means. I too have finally been able to move beyond the scale games and just stick to the plan and notice the body changes as they come. It is very freeing. Congratulations on your amazing weight loss. You are doing so well. You are an inspiration! Blessings, Maren
Jessica D.
on 9/8/05 12:23 pm - Edmonds, WA
Oh man can I relate to the stories of the evil scale!!! That scale is an inatimate object that has the power to make or break all of us at some point in our lives or another. A few weeks ago, we took the scale out of our home and gave it to charity. It's outta here!!!!!! If you know you're doing the right thing: eating what's on your food plan, getting your exercise, not cheating (or minimal...nobody's perfect) what do we need the damn scale for anyway??? I've been doing my thing here for over three months... I started at 302 at my heaviest in January. In June, I began my Adkins program. I am, as of today, 266.5#!!!! I weigh in occasionally at the gym. At least I can't obsessively weigh myself..before meals, after a pee, after a poo... You know how crazy we all get! I encourage the world to ABANDON YOUR SCALE!!!! Let's all revolt and blow up our scales!!!! We can do this without the punishment of the metal monster kicking us everytime we turn around... Jessica
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 336 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 464 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 673 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 883 views