I'm new here!

Jessica D.
on 9/8/05 5:52 am - Edmonds, WA
Howdy all! I know this site is new, and it'll take a while to build up a population of non-post-ops, but I wanted to pop in and say HI!! I was denied WLS because there is a written exlusion in my policy against anything having to do with weight loss. The ignorance of my insurance company has rendered me unable to go that route, so I've had to figure out another way to save my own life. I'm on Adkins. I have been since June 10th of this year. I'm down 40# and going strong. I exercise, too, so that certainly helps. I go usually, 5 days/wk and exercise for an hour at the club a few minutes from my house. My life partner has lost over 100# since January, doing Adkins, so I've seen it work. I'm sure I never would have had the courage to give up so many of the foods I've grown to love, to try this new way of eating--had it not been for the fact that I saw the success with my own eyes!!! I'd love to hear what all of you are doing to lose your weight. Are any of you still trying to get the insurance companies to pay for your surgery, or are all of you going to push ahead and do it non-surgically? I'm over the battle with my insurance company. Now, it's me, Dr. Adkins, and all the people who love me and support me. I've got almost another 100 pounds to lose. That would make my total loss 140#. It's going to be tough, but if I want to live, I have to do this. Best of luck to all of you, and let's build this board!!!! Jessica
SteveApril45
on 9/8/05 6:11 am - frostburg, MD
Hi Jessica Welcome.That is too bad that your insurance didn't cover your surgery.At least you found something that is working.I wish you nothing but the best........steve
Donnamarie
on 9/8/05 8:24 am - NY
Hello Jessica and welcome to the board. I am also a non-op by choice. I barely started the process of getting approved and decided it was not the route I wished to take. Like you I have also been on a program, for me it is a modified South Beach. When I say modified it means I moved onto the second stage but did NOT add any white carbs back in at all, and definitely no sugar. The only blatant carbs I eat is 100% wheat pasta. Other carbs I take in are from some fruits and vegetables. I prefer a rather high protein approach, and staying completely away from anything that can trigger me. I haven't touched one thing, not a one, off of the program since the day I started which was July 7. I have taken off 44 lbs since then. In order to get to the goal the doc set for me I have to lose another 136 lbs. My goal frankly is 200 lbs. At that weight I am good to go. I will try hard to get lower, but if I get to that weight, losing 142 lbs, I would be in my glory. So welcome again, and I wish you happiness and strength in your journey. Donna
c&j's Maw-Maw
on 9/8/05 9:49 am - Pulaski, TN
Welcome, Jessica! I'm glad you are here! I"m sorry your insurance company disappointed you, but glad to hear that you have found something that you are making work for you! I wish you great success! I've seen the Atkins diet do wonders for people who are strong enough to stay with it, and you seem to be doing just that! I wish I had the willpower to stick with it! I'm Non-Op by choice and will not be pursuing WLS...but I know several people personally who have had it (some family members) with varying results. As of my weight now, I'd like to lose at least 200 pounds but right now am at a low point and not losing any! I'm finding it very hard right now to stick to ANY weight loss plan and have developed quite an addiction to Chocolate Moose Tracks ice cream! I'm usually not one for sweets (I'm more a potato chip addict) but lately I've been craving it and giving in to that craving! UGH I hope to get back on track! Again, welcome..............................and best to you as well! Kandy
Kasey
on 9/8/05 3:18 pm - Baltimore, MD
I'm a non-op by choice. You can read how I lost 140 pounds on my profile. I hope this board will serve as inspiration to ops and non-ops alike. I'm nine days out from abdominoplasty. Surgeon removed 10.2 pounds of skin and fat. Although there is considerable swelling and lots of stitches, already I'm delighted with the results! I can see my pubic area when I sit down and I don't have the bulges of skin hanging over my thighs and sides. I had my first post-op medical visit with surgeon's nurse on Wednesday, and had the drains removed. She also cleared me to drive, to walk up to two miles daily (no other exercise, though, for three weeks), and to return to work in two weeks. I must wear a binder 24/7 (except when I shower) for six weeks. The surgery went well, although I had a reaction to the anesthesia after the procedure. I fainted twice, apparently because my blood pressure dropped suddenly. I spent one night in hospital. I have had virtually no pain. Keep in mind, because of the extreme amount of exercise I did pre-op (60 minutes to two hours most days, for the past 18 months), I have a very high tolerance for pain. YMMV. Kasey 365/215/195
Jessica D.
on 9/9/05 11:11 am - Edmonds, WA
Amazing, Kasey!!! What a phenomenal weight loss. I wanna be like you!!! Jessica
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 336 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 464 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 673 views
Plant Based