Thinking of Nursing career - advise please!

Ali M
on 3/17/05 1:10 am - S.E., TX
Ok, some background first: I have a B.S. in Biology. Loved studying the sciences, never intended to do research, but considered teaching high school or even community college (if I get the M.S.). I have never used that degree. I worked in oil/gas all thru out school, and once I had the degree, life happened and I never went back for the M.S. and had some people talk me out of teaching high school. Last year I sat for the MCAT and applied to medical school, but did not receive any interviews at all. Probably a combination of my grades (not horrible, but certainly not 4.0/4.0!!) and a lack of volunteer/research type stuff that the schools like to see. I am married and have a baby with one on the way, so even though my DH is supportive, I decided not to re-apply. I currently work in oil/gas still, production analyst for an exploration & production company. Pay is decent, I just was promoted to Lead, so this can turn into a decent career. Benefits are real nice, and the best part is my direct supervisor is located in New Orleans! Not that he's not a nice guy, but I do consider that one of the perks here! But I am totally not satisfied. I hate sitting at a desk all day long staring at a computer screen, typing away. I feel like I'm physically chained to my desk all the time. I love learning about the medical field, have always been interested in medicine, but since I have never worked in it, I have no idea what it is really like - how do I know I won't totally hate it also? Right now I am considering several different options. I can apply for Fall 2006 for Physician Assistant, or I can apply for BSN at several universities. If I do decide on the BSN, I do want to go on to eventually become a nurse practitioner, either Neonatal or CNMW. The logical part of my brain says I have a pretty good thing going here, don't mess it up, so I just don't know what I want to do. As DH says "if work was fun, everyone would do it", but my requirement is not that work be fun, just that I don't totally hate it and I get some kind of satisfatction from it! I do have family members and a couple of friends that are nurses, and they seem to like it, but I think I need a broader range of opinions! Thanks! Ali
Norma_ENVY
on 3/17/05 1:39 am - Montebello, CA
Hi Ali, I totally hear where you're coming from. I have my BA and highly considered medical school after college. I didn't have the 4.0 either and my research/volunteer was a little low, so I figured I'd go give corporate america a try. Anywho, been doing computer support/IT for the last 4yrs and I know its not for me. I get the same comments as in how good a job I have, etc...but, it's just not me. I can't sit in front of the PC and feel so "not into it" as I currently do. I have since volunteered at hospitals to get a feel for working in the med field, and I loved it instantaneously (and I was working in the ER, which isn't a cup of tea! lol). Last year I considered my options: stay at my job/corp.america, med school, going for my MS, or PA school. I never "saw" myself as a nurse, don't really know why, just didn't - I felt that if anything, I'd only consider being a nurse practitioner. After looking into my options I realized that the nursing field is booming and soooo many opportunities in it. Since I have my bachelor's already, I applied to an ADN (associate degree Nursing) program in which I can get my RN degree without having to go back for the BSN and 4yrs of that, and give nursing a try. I work fulltime and found a program in los angeles, ca. area which is for working adults and is in the evenings/weekends. After getting my RN (in about 2-3yrs) I plan on either applying to medical school or going on for nurse practitioner (or even my master's in nursing and teaching at a nursing school). I figure that if medical school was in the cards, my clinical experience and academics as a nursing student would have made me a better candidate, and if not, then nurse practitioner it is - or other options that may sprout up then! I know I want to be in the medical field and realize that once I get my RN I can go into so many different fields and limitless for growth. If i do decide to stay in the nursing field, I can specialize in a concentration that I feel makes me satisfied and I won't be chained to the desk/pc as I feel now (as do u too!) Nursing is definitely an option, as well as a stepping stone to other things. Currently I'm in my 1st semester of nursing school and love it. Ofcourse, classes are classes, but I love it because I know I'm working toward my goal of being part of the medical field. I still work the 9-5 job and then go to nursing school in the evenings. There are also accelerated nursing degrees for those that already have their bachelor's, you should look into that too. You can have your RN in a year through such programs.I went for the ADN program instead because I wanted to keep my fulltime job while I did school. I got most of my info through the RN Association, nursing association, nursing student association, etc.
Ali M
on 3/17/05 2:17 am - S.E., TX
Hey Norma, I'm so glad someone shares my point of view! There are a couple of programs here in the Houston area that are accelerated BSN for those that already hold a B.S. They are only one year long, but are highly competitive since I think there are only like 20 spots. There are also 2 year BSN programs for those that hold another degree already. I already know that if I don't go the PA route I will evnetually want to go for the NP, so I wanted to do the BSN instead of ADN (although I have considered it). I'll have to check out the associations you listed to see if we have any kind of night/weekend nursing schools around here. I know it will take longer, but maybe DH won't have a fit if I can keep my current job while going to school! (He's not really that bad, he just keeps a closer eye on the financials than I do sometimes.) Ali
N'Awlins Kat
on 4/2/05 11:39 pm - TX
Look into the Tulane University Hospital and Clinic program (combined with Our Lady of the Lake Nursing School in Baton Rouge LA).... it's a 9 month RN program for students who already have their BS. Then you could be my neighbor :P If you're looking for suggestions on what school (regular program).... I was told when I got into nursing that my university (LSU) was one of only two that allowed human cadaver studies for A&P instead of cats/dogs... It was a HUGE benefit for someone who is very tactile
Nurse_gracie
on 3/21/05 11:17 am - Chicago, IL
HI ALI. I will be honest. Nursing is not for everyone. It really must be in your heart. The pay isn't THE BEST, but its very rewarding. I know many nurse's that I work with that used to do "Computers or work in other fields" and trust me... Their attitudes towards this career shows. It's not that they are not educated because you have to be to be a nurse. But the compassion is just not there. Patients see this too. So please, make sure this is a "Calling" if it truly is... Then go for it. Your in Texas? Have u tried that Phoenix online university...for RNs?? I think they offer an accelerated program. I am currently starting the process to obtain my Master's degree. I want to be a CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife). But my true calling is Homicide..their forensics dept... at a police dept..since I have my criminal justice degree. Either way, its' a calling to help others. Either way, if nursing is for you, it can be a very emotionally rewarding. Especially if you work with babies...aww that just makes u melt ... Gracie
N'Awlins Kat
on 4/2/05 11:44 pm - TX
Gracie, I envy you... both those AP areas are what I'm interested in... I just can't decide between them. Hmmmm.... Nurse Midwife or Nurse Coroner... that's my goal eventually, one of them. And I do agree, if you get into nursing, it neeeeeeeds to be for the right reasons.... IMO you will make more mistakes and could miss vital information if you have general disinterest in the patients
smacally
on 10/27/10 3:57 am
Hey, I have a friend who wanted to be a nurse and continue on in healthcare but she had a problem with her Bachelors courses GPA (didnt have a 4.0) so she applied for a MHS( Masters of Health Science)at St. Francis University, its a Catholic university that is rich on tradition and education. Here is a link that I hope helps http://francis.edu/application/st_francis.pdf
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy Nurses Week to all
RobinNJ · 0 replies · 305 views
Bad side of nursing....
kathy B. · 1 replies · 1106 views
Healthcare for nurses
~Beautiful One~ · 4 replies · 367 views
Orlando Support Group Meetings
slimderella · 2 replies · 822 views