Anemic?

amazingachiever
on 7/1/06 9:47 pm - Pasadena, TX
I am three weeks post op and I am concerned that I may be anemic now. I am taking flintstones complete (2) each day -it has the iron in it - but I just feel very fatigued. I am normally a very bouncy person and yesterday I literally laid in the bed the entire day. What's my deal? If I am anemic, how can I correct it?
Abby P.
on 7/7/06 4:08 am - Houma, LA
My doctor says postop to take ferrous sulfate ( iron) twice a day. Are you just taking the multivitamin? Also have to take B12 sublingual which helps with energy. I think you need more than a multivitamin, I would call your doctor. Abby
(deactivated member)
on 7/13/06 3:51 am - ID
Yeah the only way to stop being anemic is to take iron.. I was anemic for awhile because I bled so much during periods that my iron was extremely low. I had to go on birth control to regulate my bleeding then I had to take iron pills everyday. As far as I know, I'm not anemic anymore... but you should call your doctor. He maybe want you to get bloodwork taken to see what your iron level is. I was told that post-op I need to take those ferrous sulfate sublinguals (or however it's spelt) to prevent becoming anemic.
Diminishing Dawn
on 10/7/06 2:28 am - Windsor, Canada
You are still only 3 weeks out and have had major abdominal surgery. I think you are partly still recovering from your surgery. Everyone is different - some are out walking the halls and others, really struggle. When you get your bloodwork done, it will say if you are anemic or not. I was not told to get my bloodwork done until about 2 months after surgery. This month I've been really tired. It revealed that I've developed iron deficiency anemia. I was advised to take the pills or the liquid iron. The liquid iron is better for post gastric bypass patients to use, so I opted for that. Do not take iron unless you've been advised to by your doctor. Dawn
Most Active