iron supplements?

lizzie42
on 10/28/07 12:57 am - CT
hello....i am about 5 1/2 months out and seem to be doing great except for the fact that my gums bleed sometimes...i haven't had this problem since i was pregnant 15 years ago!  could i have some kind of deficiency?  also i just recently switched from regular centrum chewables to centrum silver to get the extra vitamins i probably need but i noticed that iron isn't listed in the nutrients...do i need to take an iron supplement now too?  thanks for any help you can provide...

sarard
on 10/28/07 4:14 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi, Bleed gums is likely because of rapid weight loss. Double check with your dentist to be sure you don't have any other dental condition. Yes, you need an iron supplement. Definately. Iron Citrate is better absorbed, but Iron Sulfate works great too. Iron Sulfate is much easier to find. Be sure to take your iron and calcuim at least 2 hours apart ... :)
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
DanielleH_RD
on 10/28/07 7:44 am - CA
And along with that iron, add vitamin C.  If only because the vitamin C helps with iron absorption. Vitamin C deficiency often shows up in the mouth (so do some of the B vitamins).  Tissue integrity and formation of strong new tissue is part of Vitamin C's job in your body.  I would suggest adding a "water soluble" multi or separate B & C if you aren't already using one. These are all water soluble vitamins, so taking small doses at different times of the day will improve absorption.  They are also not stored well & don't build up in your body, so regular supplementation is better.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active