Ask a Dietician

Nancy Jill W.
on 5/13/08 3:17 am - Roanoke, Al

I had Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass in 03. I have able to sustain my weight loss, but having problems with anemia. I went last week and had 3 iron infusions. I was told it would take 4 to six weeks for me to really notice a change. I have other health issues and take 15 mgs of warfarin dailey. Now I am starting develop painful leg cramps both during the day and night. I am constantly tired and my joints ache. I also had a hystrecomy  in Nov ,so I have now been thrown into surgical menopause. I have read about low levels of potassuim and magnesium causing some of these symptoms. I take a daily mulitamin/multi mineral supplement daily. I also take FE C Plus Iron tablets daily. Any suggestions on  what changes I need to make in my diet . For the last several weeks my ice craving have been so bad I have not eaten very much as the ice would fill me up; but  lately they  seem to be improving. 

sarard
on 5/13/08 10:27 am - Costa Mesa, CA
It sounds like you have a severe iron deficiency. Which is likely why you are on iron infusions at this time. Although it takes time to notice a significant change with the iron infusions, you should notice less ice cravings relatively soon. If they didn't tell you, you are craving the ice due to the severe iron deficiency. Your fatigue is also likely related to the iron deficiency. Hang in there .... Coumadin (Warfarin) is a blood thinner & may affect your anemia only if you are bleeding. It can be difficult to control bleeding while on coumadin; however, this shouldn't be a big concern of yours. Leg cramping could be related to potassium deficiency; however, since you are taking potassium, I'd doubt that (unless you just started taking it). Some also experience cramping from low vitamin D. In any event, here are my suggestions: 1. Keep taking the multivitamin. 2. Keep up with the iron infusions, they should help you the most 3. Keep taking the Fe C Plus. 4. As hard as it is, try to eat food rather than ice. You are going to have to practice control here -- but the food is so much better for you & your condition than ice ... try, try, try. This craving should pass. 5. Add a vitamin D supplement. Try 400-800 IU per day. 6. If your not already, try to walk for 15-30 minutes each day. 7. Increase your meat intake (if you can, go with beef). Good luck. Keep us updated. Hang in there ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active